Japanese Beginners at Open High? (1 Viewer)

jawiNANA

HSC
Does anyone do (or have done) japanese beginners? I'm considering doing it, I have a meeting with the distance languages advisor tomorrow.

Is it hard? Some people say it's a huge work load.

UncoKane

Huzzah!
HSC
Uni Grad
Does anyone do (or have done) japanese beginners? I'm considering doing it, I have a meeting with the distance languages advisor tomorrow.

Is it hard? Some people say it's a huge work load.
I did Indonesian Continuers through Open High...

It's a LOT of work for any language... having to teach yourself requires a lot of effort.

It was my worst subject because I didn't do any work... no one was forcing me to...

Be prepared...

cherii2007

HSC
Hmm...Japanese Beginners isn't difficult, if you enjoy the subject and are willing to invest the time to revise everything you do in class and all that jazz. And if you're lazy in the holidays and don't do anything Japanese-related, it'll really bite you in the head. :|

I did Japanese for Years 7 and 8, and I was able to recognise the Hiragana, and so was the rest of the class since they'd done Japanese in junior high years too...Once you get past the "revision", it gets a bit hard...once you've learnt the most of the structures and stuff, it becomes a little less like drilling something into your skull and more about refining what little skill you have at reading, writing and speaking. Listening is hell. Especially if the person speaks too quickly, too softly, too muffly or just completely incomprehensible you're left wondering, "Huh?".

The topics are stuff like Home Life, Family, Shopping, Restaurants, School, After school, Work, etc, etc. Still have a few more topics left..

HSC
Hi there,

I did Beginners Japanese at OHS and I thought it was really great!

Of course you have to be dedicated to some degree and religiously mail work etc. (I admit I did do a load of cramming though - sending 3 weeks of work altogether ahehe lol) But overall I thought it was excellent!

2 Major benefits are:

1. Conversation practice: As you can imagine speaking is one of the most difficult components to prepare for because you have to think on the spot, reply quickly and appropriately. For me, I I would practice speaking with my teacher over the phone for at least 40 minutes each week. This way you get a whole teacher to yourself to practice with you, and you only!

2. Once in a while you'll have to actually have to go to OHS to your exams, in particular speaking. For the exam in prelims and hsc you won't be speaking to your usual teacher but a complete different teacher! This is excellent practice to adjust to talking with teachers with different styles, accents, etc.

3. OHS really structure their exams just like the hsc. So this is obviously very very useful!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)