Japanese Proficiency Test 06 (1 Viewer)

fallen__angel

Nocturnal Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi everyone! hope your trials are going alright
I just wanted to ask if I should consider doing level 2 exam since I'm a Jap extn student.

For those of you who are new to the test, I think it's worthwhile giving it a go - the extra accreditation might come in handy for future employment. The exam levels range from 1 to 4, with level 1 being the hardest and 4 the easiest.

2azn4u

HSC
Uni Grad
hmm yeh im in year 9, doing this test for level 4 on the 3rd December

this proficiency test is on the first sunday of december each year right? hmm

who else does this test? i hope i can do level 1 in a few years time :) :) =)

2azn4u

HSC
Uni Grad
hmm i hope i can :) the way the school teaches jap is not enough for the standards required by these proficiency tests. i'll be taking this test at UNSW =.= what a long drive from carlingford

P

pLuvia

Was contemplating on doing it, but now that I'm not planning to study japanese in university, don't see the actual point

P

pLuvia

I might give it a shot then :) By the way, are you doing it this year LottoX?

yinyin

HSC
N/A
im going to try for level 4 dis year since im a beginner student~

dongypro

HSC
i got level 3 in year 11..

with like 88%

i mite keep studying jap and go for lvl 2 when im in uni next year :)

theres a huge gap between lvl 3 and 2

but not so much between lvl 4 and 3

rayray06

HSC
i did level 3 at the end of 2004 after spending a year in Japan. I did pretty well except for grama, but i know that level two would still have been too hard. I had girls in my class in japan who couldnt answer some of the level 2 and 1 questions. kinda funny when u think about it

Erawyn

HSC
i'm doing ext jp at the moment and aiming to do level 2 this year. Except for the kanji i wouldn't say it's too difficult (luckily i'm chinese and know what they mean, the readings however...), it's just a matter of rope learning the vocab, the grammar structures you learn from the JLPT 2 are really (really) useful for ext as well. A good way to learn kanji is to go through a kanji's common compound it makes with other kanji, thus learning every reading it has (kunyomi, onyomi), you'll be learning other kanji with it as well.

Last edited:

aussie-asian

HSC
about the JLPT ...what can i say?

i've heard that a lot of people who have lived in Japan for more than 3 years can "pass" key word there "pass" (a pass is 60% apparently) Level 2, but from the sounds of it...from what ppl. have said based on all there friends sitting the exam (they are all very fluent btw) very very very few people can pass Level 1.

I recommend if your in Japanese Extension, sitting Level 3 this year and then contemplating sitting Level 2 next year. If your in Japanese Beginners and nearly finished the course you should sit level 4.

I say this because we are in Australia and although you may be very good at Japanese and achieve excellent results in Japanese, it is designed for people who speak/use Japanese everyday. That is people who use Japanese for business transactions, work for a Japanese employer etc. or for ppl. who have lived in Japan and who want to sit the test now they have returned home or need a certain level (in the JLPT) to attain employment in which they must use Japanese everyday.

In saying that though I still encourage everyone to have a go at sitting the JLPT's but be realistic about your goals check out the vocab/kanji/grammar lists on the JLPT websites and pick a test that is suitable to your level. (The test is held at UNSW in December each year) ( You can sit practice tests for the Level Four test on one of the sites- I think its called the sushi test or something)

As someone else was saying on this thread (i forgot who sorry) some Japanese people have trouble sitting (parts of) these tests. That is because they use informal speech in their day to day lives with their family and friends, because of this they sometimes do not use correct grammar for formal speaking etc. This is also a problem for some Japanese Continuers (and beginners) students who go to Japan on Exchange etc. and learn informal Japanese and then try and use it in their essays etc. (you recieve worse marks for this in the HSC as it does not show your use of correct grammar etc.) So try to use correct grammar when speaking etc. all the time (These are the grammar structures we learn in our courses) if you go to Japan, this will help you for when you return and/or wish to sit the JLPT.

"Ganbatte minasan"

aussie-asian

sassy_gal

HSC
its correct about them using the informal structures, but if u are actually here on exchange it sounds incrediblyy weird if you speak politely all the time. So i spose it depends on ur situation.

Akeru

Rain maker
HSC
I'd probably give Lvl 2 a go nxt yr in uni...

acq128

HSC
Just a reminder, you don't HAVE to pass these tests, u get plenty of chances, so what people tend to do is aim at a level that is higher than what they are at

as this would actually tell you what level you are at officially, wehther you pass or not, you still get a result telling you your marks in what sections

you would need lots and lots of preparation before the exams, and keep in mind these multiple choice questions can really trick you

I couldn't pass the Level 2 exam last year despite completing 1 and a half years worth of Japanese at Syd Uni, but thats because i winged it (bludged and didn't care). There was a reason why i bludged though, cause i wanted to truly test what level of japanese i have obtained into my head permanently and not because i studied 100hours straight prior to the exam, because to me, thats not realistic knowledge

but anyways, take the test, and see where you're at, its alot more accurate at telling you where you stand than the HSC, this is a standardised test for the whole world not just NSW

ryuuj

HSC
... I have a russian friend who has been in japan for... 3 years or so now... but she passed level 1 at the end of her first year . . . owo;;;
Personally, I was aiming to do the Level 3 this December... but turns out I'll be travelling in Japan XD (YEAH GAZETTE CONCERT <3 ) so... XD

Just wondering, I'm planning on going and living in japan for a year BEFORE going into uni to study at a japanese language schol that will prepare me for the JLPT test. . . :D Anyone thinking of doing the same thing? It costs alot... but I think the experience that I'd get from it (especially the languaeg skills) would be good!!! :)

and yeah.. :D

acq128

HSC
the language skills you pick up living there would only accelerate your learning when you arrive here, because its hard to focus on the reading and writing part of the language while living there, most of it's gonna just be speaking

do you know what i mean? and the jlpt is a written test. so i think ryuuj has a nice plan going to be able to get pass jlpt1

although i don't know what kinda arrangements you will have being able to stay there for 1 year long

totallybord

HSC
im aplying this yr but where do i mail it to?
is it the japanese lang and studies program school of languages and linguistics, unsw? or the japan foundation?
and i downloaded the application form off the japan foudation site and theres about 6 pages...do i have to fill it all in?

acq128

HSC
the payment and form should be mailed to the UNSW Japanese department

that's all i remember for that, and the form that i filled in wasn't that long, but required photo and stuff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)