Japanese Studies? (1 Viewer)

nathanf

HSC
I want to do Japanese language and culture studies, I think as part of International Studies next year at Macquarie, I'm wondering what people in that course, or doing Japanese studies of some sort think of it at Macquarie?

I already know.. very basic Japanese phrases, but I have an ear for accents after watching Japanese shows, but I know no Kanji or even Kana. Will it be extremely hard to effectively start learning Japanese at University during my first year? I wish to be fluent in Japanese in the long run, so I will be devoting much time to learning the language. So I'm just wondering what people think about the difficulty of learning Japanese, or even languages at all, at Macquarie.

Blizane

HSC
If you're going to study a language from scratch at uni, it shouldn't be too difficult if you are as passionate as you (seemingly) are. The first year subjects would start at a very basic level, and just build up from there. Apparently it does take a lot of constant effort though, no cramming at the last minute and whatnot. I'm not sure if theres anyone around here that is doing Japanese, although I know theres other people that study languages that would be more helpful.

(note: I've never taken a language unit at uni, least of all in Japanese, but I am somewhat fluent in another language and know what its like.)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
As above, if you're willing to put in consistent hard work throughout semester you should be fine.

nathanf

HSC
Does anyone who has done Japanese studies at uni, or particularly at Macquarie think it's hard? I heard they rush you through Hiragana in one week, Katakana the next and then soon after they start teaching Kanji radicals.

I am thinking of studying the Kana before I go to University so I can start learning the Kanji. But in ways of vocabulary and grammar I wonder how much I should start learning.

^^ Thanks for your answers.

duckyness

HSC
I'm majoring in Japanese as part of International Studies but I didn't start at the beginner level because I studied it in high school. However I do have some friends who did and like you said, it is a bit of a rush at the first few weeks, going through hiragana and katakana etc. You could practice those, and maybe have a look at some Japanese beginners material. I can't be exact because the lecturers will probably change, or even the textbook.
No, it won't be hard because recently Mac started a language support service for 1st year students and 100lvl students called Babel. And just because you're doing Int Stud, you'll definitely meet other Japanese students you can practice with.

I think the Japanese department at Macquarie is fairly nice. All the staff are nice, and there are always events about Japanese culture or opportunities to talk to Japanese exchange students. Take a look at this page to see what Japanese units we have:
http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/2011/Units/UGByPrefix/JPS

Also Int Stud, the degree itself, has its own ups and downs. Yay, it has a compulsory exchange plus funding from Mac (varies on country, $4500 for Japan ;DD), and yay, an internship opportunity with reputable organisations (when other undergrads don't).
The only problems I have with this degree is that people always assume I'm an International STUDENT or I'm going to be a translator/interpreter/teacher, and I don't like the cores we have to do. That is all.

nathanf

HSC
Hmm sounds interesting. I want to partially immerse myself in japanese by having alot of japanese friends and going to shops speaking only japanese for a day etc. Although it would take me at least a year to speak it at an intermediate level, I presume.

With your Batchelor of International Studies, granted that I get in this year, I'll be your junior I guess in it. Anything about the compulsory units or electives that you had trouble with? What kind of assingments can I expect as I'm curious and want to start doing some background learning for my course before uni starts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)