JLPT and Japanese Extension (1 Viewer)

MattDarns

HSC
N/A
Does anyone know what JLPT level Japanese extension is, is it somewhere around the 2 or 3 mark?

Sent from my Nokia using Tapatalk

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
Japanese Extension doesn't teach you anything new, grammar is same as continues and the vocab you learn isnt much help in that test

koujaku

HSC
HSC isn't even near N3 level tbh. And keep in mind that there is quite a large gap between N2 and N3 - just look at the kanji list for N2.

I guess you could do N3 if you're near the top of your cohort and even then you would still need to put in some serious preparation. N4 should be mostly doable - although there might be kanji that aren't prescribed as part of HSC. All in all, HSC is kinda useless. Sigh.

koujaku

HSC
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that most jobs require a minimum of N2. Pretty much N2 and N1 are the only ones that are taken seriously by firms, and you'll need N1 for university. Like I mentioned, quite a large gap between the knowledge required for N2 and N3, the skill progression is definitely not linear.

koujaku

HSC
25 marks is allocated to the study of the film Okuribito.
Out of these 25 marks - 15 are for analysis of the film, which are answered in English. The other 10 marks are allocated towards pretty much writing fan fiction for the movie, and while grammatical accuracy and sophistication is important, it is secondary to demonstrating your comprehensive understanding of the film and its characters.

A further 25 marks are allocated to the study of three prescribed issues - "Connectedness," "Place of Tradition in Modern Society," and "Coping with Change."
15 marks are for an essay on a question related to the issues, and 10 for a spoken monologue.

While the course does require knowledge of vocab specific to the film e.g. のうかんし、いたい etc. and vocab specific to the issues e.g. 男女平等、人間関係、伝統、じんしゅさべつ、多文化社会 etc. these aren't exactly relevant to JLPT and there is no prescribed vocab list. And the only grammar structures in Extension that aren't in Continuers are the passive form, causative form and らしい, which aren't exactly difficult, and there are no additional kanji.

So on the whole, the course is more society and culture and English than anything else - doesn't do all THAT much in actually knowing the language better.

Renko

HSC
Jap ext is between the n4 - 3 mark, but for both levels the amount of kanji you need to know is far more than what is prescribed in the hsc syllabus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)