Job probability - commerce @ Macq (1 Viewer)

ffutsdoog

HSC
I'm still not entirely sure of my preferences for next yr and have been switching them around a lot (offers in jan). I was just wondering if commerce at Macq is a course that gives graduates good job prospects.

I'm wondering because commerce degrees at UNSW, UTS, USyd all have cutoffs at around 95, yet at Macq it's a mere 82 or something.

Will I be severely disadvantaged studying comm or eco at Macq as opposed to the other universities?

Thanks!

Simo91

HSC
Macquarie are highly regarded when it comes to their Commerce/Eco department, so you should be fine. Most people rate it as second behind UNSW for that area, so you should be fine.

HSC
N/A
it's got worse job prospects than Go8, don't believe the above post

ascentyx

HSC
keep in mind that uai entrances merely reflect demand and supply. macquarie is pretty highly regarded for commerce (especially acst).

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
It all depends on which jobs you end up going for, but generally, you'd all be treated as the same during an interview process..employers value interpersonal/soft skills higher than education (again, depending on which industry)

Monstar

HSC
Dont come to macquarie if you dont have to man... We're not as 'lenient' as other unis.. in fact the saying goes 'easy to get in.. hard to come out'

If i had to go back in time, i would've picked UTS. (i had the marks for UTS and apparently UNSW)

ffutsdoog

HSC
Dont come to macquarie if you dont have to man... We're not as 'lenient' as other unis.. in fact the saying goes 'easy to get in.. hard to come out'

If i had to go back in time, i would've picked UTS. (i had the marks for UTS and apparently UNSW)

What exactly do you mean by 'hard to come out'? Is there a really high dropout rate or what? because if that's the only reason I shouldn't go to Macq then its not enough reason to stop me.

I know I'm going to do well and try my best. Its coming out of uni and the prospects I get then that matter to me.

Monstar

HSC
Its hard to graduate. They fail alot of kids.

Dude. Just go to uts.. youll be better off.. your academic record will be prettier.

ascentyx

HSC
As opposed to those unis that don't fail students who do badly?
he is saying that it's harder to get good results @ macq uni compared to other unis. i've heard this aswell before but i'm not sure if it's correct??

Dx_God

HSC
from what i've heard from someone i know, only 3 person (if i remember correctly) including herself passed in macq for actuarial studies. so i would say to pass in commerce at macq should be pretty hard since commerce is like similar to actuarial studies. if ur going there then good luck lol cause i think u'll need it.

Monstar

HSC
Well to properly answer OP's question;

Coming to macquarie will NOT be detrimental to your employability. What you WILL need to do is, work hard (logical) and be active within Uni life (involves joining clubs, volunteering etc)...

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
from what i've heard from someone i know, only 3 person (if i remember correctly) including herself passed in macq for actuarial studies. so i would say to pass in commerce at macq should be pretty hard since commerce is like similar to actuarial studies. if ur going there then good luck lol cause i think u'll need it.
I find that statistic extremely hard to believe. Was it one unit? Was this 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th yr?

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
err..
actuarial studies is crazy at macq.

although their faculties are related,
i'd say commerce is alot easier

zeromq

HSC
N/A
err..
actuarial studies is crazy at macq.

although their faculties are related,
i'd say commerce is alot easier
commerce is very broad, actuarial studies a specific major in the commerce degree as is finance, accg etc you can't compare "commerce" to actuarial studies

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Tier 2 unis always love to talk up how their course is harder, more students fail, it's more practical yadayadaya.

In Victoria you'l see Deakin and Monash students harping on about these things.
The funny thing is they still end up without a job. HAHAHAHAHA

ffutsdoog

HSC
Tier 2 unis always love to talk up how their course is harder, more students fail, it's more practical yadayadaya.

In Victoria you'l see Deakin and Monash students harping on about these things.
The funny thing is they still end up without a job. HAHAHAHAHA

Is this true for Macq? Oh and btw by commerce I don't mean actuarial. My math isn't good enough for that.

Monstar

HSC
dude. Monash is considered t2? wtf i thought they were like one of the best...

Then whats the unsw+usyd equivalent? Umelb+... victoria?

Monstar

HSC
Is this true for Macq? Oh and btw by commerce I don't mean actuarial. My math isn't good enough for that.
If you're having doubts, why the fuck go man? Shut the gate on the possibility that some employers may not want kids from macq and work to get into UNSW or Usyd.

ffutsdoog

HSC
If you're having doubts, why the fuck go man? Shut the gate on the possibility that some employers may not want kids from macq and work to get into UNSW or Usyd.
Good point. Well, obviously I've put down better unis like UNSW and USyd as higher (1st/2nd) choices, but I'm a bit doubtful as to whether I'll get in either of these. Macq comm is currently 4th on my preferences.

So I'm looking into more choices since my interests lie in commerce/economics degrees.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)