Job prospects for a double major in Accounting and Management... (1 Viewer)

dan_viper88

HSC
Im begining a B Business at UTS this year and i have been contemplating which majors i am going to select.

Now i am almost certainly going to do a major in acccouting but i dont know what the job prospets (e.g. salaries, career oppurtunities) would be like for someone who combined this with a management major?

Now i already know about the employment options for an accounting major but i am unsure what to combine this with? Im possibly leaning towards Management or Finance.

I Know there are existing threads on similar issues but your opinions would be greatly apprciated on this more specifically catered matter.

Cheers :)

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Undergraduate Management is *never* a prequisite for any job. Even the largest management consultancy companies in the world stress on their 'careers' pages that they recruit people from all backgrounds... Also at an undergraduate level management studies in general seems pretty airy and unrecognised from what I've gathered [don't quote me on this]...

Finance on the other hand is required knowledge in various jobs [though even still many slip in without ever studying it]... But it would be useless studying it unless you were actually interested in it.

Honestly though, if you're interested in management then study it. I'd say its way more important to study something you like and do well in than be bored and do poorly... Its obvious you like it since its in the title of the thread!

Last edited:

dan_viper88

HSC
Vagabond said:
Undergraduate Management is *never* a prequisite for any job. Even the largest management consultancy companies in the world stress on their 'careers' pages that they recruit people from all backgrounds... Also at an undergraduate level management studies in general seems pretty airy and unrecognised from what I've gathered [don't quote me on this]...

Finance on the other hand is required knowledge in various jobs [though even still many slip in without ever studying it]... But it would be useless studying it unless you were actually interested in it.

Honestly though, if you're interested in management then study it. I'd say its way more important to study something you like and do well in than be bored and do poorly... Its obvious you like it since its in the title of the thread!
Thankyou for your response. Management is a major im considering, @ the momement the only given is that i will be doing accounting as 1 major but im not too sure what to combine this with?

Opinions on this would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

dan_viper88

HSC
Come on Bosers some more responses woud be appreciated, Im sure there are some of you who have an opinion on this, your posts will be valued. Cheers

O2

HSC
Accounting is a major that can get into big four obviously, however combined with a major in finance, you could get positions in corporate finance etc.

i too am doing a major in accounting (bach of business) and i'm intending to do a double major in acc/banking and finance. Finance is something that is more recognised and can get you into more heavy work. However, managment is not as recognised. The reason being once you graduate, it doesnt matter how much KNOWLEDGE you have on managing people, no one will give you a management role. I find mangement to be only helpful/useful for my own knowledge, not something that will get me a job or higher income.

Many accountants reach management positions without majors in management, so i think thats a pretty good indication that managment is not as required.

If you combine accounting with finance, you will have more room to move in my opinion. After a few years in perhaps audit, you could easily move into corporate finance or maybe even into a smaller investment bank.

But then again, what would i know, i havent even graduated lol.

turtleface

HSC
O2 said:
Accounting is a major that can get into big four obviously, however combined with a major in finance, you could get positions in corporate finance etc.

...Finance is something that is more recognised and can get you into more heavy work. However, managment is not as recognised. The reason being once you graduate, it doesnt matter how much KNOWLEDGE you have on managing people, no one will give you a management role. I find mangement to be only helpful/useful for my own knowledge, not something that will get me a job or higher income.
If you combine accounting with finance, you will have more room to move in my opinion. After a few years in perhaps audit, you could easily move into corporate finance or maybe even into a smaller investment bank.
I disagree with some sections. you don't need Finance for ANY job. I have yet to find one job advertisement that specifically say "Prerequisites: Major in Finance"

However I do agree Finance is very useful for Accounting graduates because Accountants do all the Finance-y work in companies and accounting firms. Finance is a set of skills, rather than a means to an end. Having said that, you don't need any Finance knowledge to get into Accounting roles that require FInance knowledge, beyond whats required for CA/CPA...if that makes sense.

Auditors have been known to move into Investment Banking sections, even at top tiers, but its probably easier if you've done a stint in a Big 4 corporate finance division. Having said that thought, the highest paid Investment Banker in Australia is a former KPMG Tax Accountant so there you go.

Lastly I don't think you need a Finance major to get into Corporate Finance, you just need Finance skills which you can get through Accounting/Economics majors as well as a CA/CPA or a MBA, or through an Accounting firm/Law firm/Investment Bank's internal training programs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)