Job prospects of an MFin student? (1 Viewer)

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
I thought that unsw had work placement or something like that.. maybe it was only for engineering..

and if you were to compare unsw to other unis is supposably to be the better ones.. and if their graduates cant get employed then its concerning..
Well UNSW students can always get employed because the uni is justl ike the best in the galaxy, but the only drawback is they might not get a job from their preferred employer.

If that's the case, they probably won't get the job even with the masters unless they want to clean toilets. They probably won't get that anyway.

mgs4

HSC
Would a MFin help you in applying for graduate programs at IBs? Would it give you an advantage over undergrad applicants for the same position?

mgs4

HSC
So is it more advantageous to apply for grad programs after working full time relative to doing a masters of finance? I think there's a few problems here, first of all I think some grad programs you can only apply for if you are currently studying. Secondly do you think some firms might be reluctant to take on individuals into their grad program if they're already working full time and have developed a certain opeartional structure or tendencies that might not assimilate to their firm easily?

I think it would be a little depressing to finish uni and work full time unpaid in some firm. Again I think its still very difficult to get any desirable position where you are doing interesting work outside of the grad programs, even if you volunteer yourself for unpaid work.

Monstar

HSC
So is it more advantageous to apply for grad programs after working full time relative to doing a masters of finance? I think there's a few problems here, first of all I think some grad programs you can only apply for if you are currently studying. Secondly do you think some firms might be reluctant to take on individuals into their grad program if they're already working full time and have developed a certain opeartional structure or tendencies that might not assimilate to their firm easily?

I think it would be a little depressing to finish uni and work full time unpaid in some firm. Again I think its still very difficult to get any desirable position where you are doing interesting work outside of the grad programs, even if you volunteer yourself for unpaid work.
Akq can structure his degree in such a way in which he can finish next year.. or hold off his graduation.. its not that hard to bypass that 'currently' studying thing. 'grad program if they're already working full time and have developed a certain opeartional structure or tendencies that might not assimilate to their firm easily?' sorry mate, this isn't accounting.. I know a dude who was a trader and he managed to get a job at a very prestigous ib. no one gives a shit about personality as long as you're good and can hold a decent convo (im referring to any non ib roles).

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Akq can structure his degree in such a way in which he can finish next year.. or hold off his graduation.. its not that hard to bypass that 'currently' studying thing. 'grad program if they're already working full time and have developed a certain opeartional structure or tendencies that might not assimilate to their firm easily?' sorry mate, this isn't accounting.. I know a dude who was a trader and he managed to get a job at a very prestigous ib. no one gives a shit about personality as long as you're good and can hold a decent convo (im referring to any non ib roles).
Um that's not right. Team fit is essential. Trading is no different.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)