Job prospects with bad contract A marks (1 Viewer)

Ionus

HSC
I started my course this year and for the law component at monash we studied Introduction to legal reasoning and Contracts A (Contracts B is done in the 2nd semester). Do you think my prospects of getting into a top-tier law firm would diminish if I only got a pass in Contracts A? At first I didn't think it would but some people have said how contracts is an important subject where grades would matter more. I think I'll be able to improve dramatically starting next semester.

Ive only started this year and the com/law students are already pushed to do contracts, it's not really fair since we are new to studying law and still adapting to uni. I would've thought we be given something other than contracts to study for first year.

Oh and what are the more important law subjects, as opposed to the less important ones, that employers look at? One more thing, would a WAM be more important than the individual marks for each subject. I've been slacking in introduction to legal reasoning and it'll definitely drag my WAM down.

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
You guys get stuck with contracts in first year? Ouch, they started us off with torts and public law, so it wasn't too bad.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Ionus said:
I started my course this year and for the law component at monash we studied Introduction to legal reasoning and Contracts A (Contracts B is done in the 2nd semester). Do you think my prospects of getting into a top-tier law firm would diminish if I only got a pass in Contracts A? At first I didn't think it would but some people have said how contracts is an important subject where grades would matter more. I think I'll be able to improve dramatically starting next semester.

Ive only started this year and the com/law students are already pushed to do contracts, it's not really fair since we are new to studying law and still adapting to uni. I would've thought we be given something other than contracts to study for first year.

Oh and what are the more important law subjects, as opposed to the less important ones, that employers look at? One more thing, would a WAM be more important than the individual marks for each subject. I've been slacking in introduction to legal reasoning and it'll definitely drag my WAM down.
A pass for any law subject is pretty bad, but simply because you get a pass (even for 'Contracts A') doesn't write off your chances. It's not too good, but they aren't going to just throw your application in the bin. The same goes for legal introductory subjects. Overall marks are more important. If you really want to demonstrate you know your contracts perhaps take an advanced contracts course, if it is offered, and work hard in that.

That said, yes some law subjects are more important than others, to employers. This depends on the nature of the work each firm does, and the type of firm. Contracts is indeed an important law subject - probably the most important subject - that you do at law school.

For large firms, commercial subjects are more important. Things like contracts, corporations law, property/equity, intellectual property, trade practices, trusts. Subjects which are not so important to commercial law firms include constitutional law, criminal law, legal theory, torts. A smaller firm might be more interested in conveyancing/succession or employment law than advanced corporations law or trade practices.

But again, whilst there is some attention paid to individual subjects, overall marks are more important. If you have above a distinction WAM, you're competitive.

Ionus

HSC
What's a 2.1? Is that GPA?

>< Contracts exam tomorrow, crap i havent read all the cases

When you mentioned a WAM, Moonlight, would that include the scores from the other component of a double degree, in my case commerce? Or would the WAM be calculated using the law subjects only?

How did you guys find contracts, was it ez for u guys?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
2.1 means 2nd class 1st division honours... depending on university, a 2:1 might be a weighted average mark (WAM) of 70-75.

On your transcript, it might show a combined WAM/GPA. however, you can generally calculate separate WAMs/GPAs for each component of your combined degree for the purpose of seeking employment.

and yes, i bombed our contracts pretty badly. two low credits.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Ionus said:
When you mentioned a WAM, Moonlight, would that include the scores from the other component of a double degree, in my case commerce? Or would the WAM be calculated using the law subjects only?
I meant distinction average law WAM. This isn't some concrete cut-off which if you don't meet you won't get into a large commercial firm -- it's just a milestone which I think one should aim for to be competitive. There are of course other factors.

iwannarock

HSC
pfffffft so you did bad in one subject. just keep your gpa up so you have a distinction average and you'll be very competitive.

you think thats bad?

i have a p average overall for my first 3 years. do you know how many important subjects that covers? contracts, property, constitutional/admin etc.

i'll have to become a shoe repairer like lionel hutz.

:santa:

but the profession needs the lionel hutz's, the dennis Denuto's, the Barry Zuckercorns.

right..................riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
iwannarock said:
but the profession needs the lionel hutz's, the dennis Denuto's, the Barry Zuckercorns.

right..................riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight?
yes, so we may have cases on professional misconduct in 'law lawyers' subjects :)

iwannarock

HSC
Frigid said:
yes, so we may have cases on professional misconduct in 'law lawyers' subjects :)
ah.

for some reason my year wasn't required to do that course.

that may explain why i have a future in professional misconduct as a lawyer.

:santa:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
think that might be coz the UTS cockup a two yrs ago? but you'll do it in PLT anyway, one hopes. :)

'Your Honour, I submit I didn't contravene the professional rules...

... coz I didn't learn'em in school.' :(

iwannarock

HSC
Frigid said:
think that might be coz the UTS cockup a two yrs ago? but you'll do it in PLT anyway, one hopes. :)

'Your Honour, I submit I didn't contravene the professional rules...

... coz I didn't learn'em in school.' :(
but maq are running the course this year. and all the other years after us have it now. maybe they didnt bother for our year.

:confused:

lol.

if i ever.........on the slight chance take the bar exam and become a barrister..............i will use a lionel hutz quote......even in passing.

"your honour i'd like to refer to the case of finders vs keepers"

Last edited:

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
For Mallesons last year, the lowest WAM offered an interview for the summer clerkship was 62, and the lowest offered a position was 72. Out of slightly less than 600 applicants, around 40-50 were offered clerkships.

This is straight from their HR person.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Suvat said:
For Mallesons last year, the lowest WAM offered an interview for the summer clerkship was 62, and the lowest offered a position was 72. Out of slightly less than 600 applicants, around 40-50 were offered clerkships.
the standards are falling. :(

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes if you get a pass in contracts, chances of getting a good job diminish heaps. Hope you do well in the other 2 important subjs or you'd struggle to find a good job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)