Job Prospects (1 Viewer)

jackster83

HSC
Hi all this is my first post on BOS so don't be too harsh on me.

Anyway, I'm studying Electrical and Electronic Engineering at Adelaide Uni and have just started my final year. I'm rapidly discovering that job prospects in this profession are nothing like what was promised during the university open day.

Finding work experience was tough especially considering my grades are unspectacular (no fails but passes and the odd credit but no high distinctions) but I managed to land a brilliant job as an undergraduate engineer at a large construction company in Adelaide. This job was part time and was to lead to a graduate role when I finished uni but unfortunately, less than 2 weeks after the big boss got up and spoke about how strong the water department was at my work, the water department was terminated and I was left without a job, my work experience incomplete and my graduate role gone.

I would recommend to anyone out there in year 12, to try and get an apprenticeship as an tradesperson/engineer rather than go to uni as you will learn skills that you really need (PLCs anyone?) plus you will get paid (no HECS) and get good references.

I don't want to sound too negative but it seems that Electrical, Mechanical and Chemical engineering roles in particular are being scrapped, leaving just Civil engineers and tradespeople to do the work.

Maybe it's just South Australia and there are plenty of jobs interstate, anyway what are others thoughts on here?

gcspsp

HSC
Stop it! You're scaring me! I hope to become a well paid Chemical Engineer a few years after graduation...:(

Miner

HSC
Maybe it's just South Australia and there are plenty of jobs interstate, anyway what are others thoughts on here?
Perhaps you are just being too narrow in your grad applications. It also really pays to remember that in tough times (and we are in tough financial times), P's might get degrees, but they won't necessarily be enough to land grad jobs.

Which companies and govt depts have you actually applied for grad programs with?

pottsy44

HSC
and good luck getting a job in this current climate (there is none!)

for example in my profession, there is ONE job on offer in sydney! that is it! there is usually 5-15 jobs on offer at any given time.

CIV1501

Banned
HSC
Bullshit. Anyone can get a job now. We advertised for an engineer last year and recieved like 3 replies and none could speak english. A qualified engineer could walk into this place. 3 could probably. And a GIS guy.

cottoneye

HSC
N/A
Stop it! You're scaring me! I hope to become a well paid Chemical Engineer a few years after graduation...:(
You are still a few years away from graduating so I wouldn't worry too much about job prospects right now. Even though university might seem a waste of time when you see other people who work straight from school and earn money, in the end a tertiary education is exceptionally valuable in terms of both income and personal development. At no other time in your adult life will you be exposed to so many new ideas and theories that offer different insights into the world. Do the best you can at uni, the economy will recover and engineers are going to be in need in Australia for the foreseeable future.

jackster83

HSC
Engineers are in big demand atm.

/End thread
Been to a university careers fair lately?

Experienced engineers are in demand, but hardly anyone wants to employ graduates anymore. Engineers are always one of the first to go during a recession. There is currently an oversupply of graduates compared to the roles being offered. There are people in my year who are getting excellent grades, yet they still can't even get an interview for a grad position.

As a result, this means that people may have to try to find jobs that they are overqualified for, such as working as a technician. Fcuk I should have studied teaching instead.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
There are always jobs for good engineers is what was said to me at my uni. If you're a bad one, well, maybe you should have studied harder.

I don't think your experience is indicitive of the entire industry, though. It's unsuprising that companies wouldn't want (for the most part, useless) work experience students having to be paid when there is a downturn. Some people in my year (work experience) are worried that the only way they will get an internship is to offer working for free.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)