job with no payslips? (1 Viewer)

laniani

HSC
I worked at an independent small business for 3 years, from when i was 15-18. During that time I was never given a payslip. A friend who I worked with emailed our boss about it, so the boss sent her one payslip...and thats all its been (this was last year.)
We got the 6 month salary thing...PAYG summary? I cant remember what it's called. But where my tax file number was meant to be, they'd always written 33333333333..and never my actual number, so they never took out tax or anything- i'm not sure if i earned enough to pay tax- but i thought my tax file number should still be there...
So is all this illegal? I've left now, but I still have friends there, and the business is still being run like this. My friend wants to contact someone about it, so if it is illegal, who does she need to contact?
Thanks

trevolution2518

HSC
You most certainly do need payslips, it is illegal under the Workplace Relations Act not to have them (unless of course, you're working as a cash in hand, fly by night employee, but that's illegal anyway).

Also tax is taken out as PAYG on a weekly basis, if you earn under the tax free threshold you'll receive it as a refund at the end of the financial year (as a tax return). If you have supplied your employer your TFN it should appear on your PAYG summary at the end of each financial year for reporting purposes

This is concerning both the lack of payslips and the taxation issues, contact the Workplace Ombudsman at this website Australian Government - Workplace Ombudsman - for your payslip issues and the Australian Tax Office on 13 28 61

Hope this helps!

Roguedeth

HSC
They most likely don't want to pay more tax. Most places usually report a lower amount than they should.

John0

HSC
, so they never took out tax or anything- i'm not sure if i earned enough to pay tax- but i thought my tax file number should still be there...
Depends on how much you were earning each financial year, if you earned less then $6000 you shouldnt be taxed at all. If your hours varied from week to week ie more than $115 one week, tax would have been taken out through the PAYG system for that particular week. Likewise if you earned less then $115 you wouldnt be taxed on that amoumt. You would most likely recieve a tax refund when you do your tax returns and you earn less then $6000. Im assuming you have been doin your tax returns right?

laniani

HSC
No. My boss didnt tax my pay, so I never did a tax return. I earned less than $6000 a year.
I contacted the workplace ombudsman about not getting payslips, and was told that a complaint can be made anonymously......so thats good.
I however feel too bad to do it....so my friend has decided that she'll make the complaint once she's left the company.
I don't mind personally that I didnt get payslips, but that they're still doing it annoys me...surely they know that there are consequences to this

HSC
Yeah, I;m in the same situation as you
But its not our fault if our tax and stuff like that is wrong
The business can get audited. So there gunna fuck up.

John0

HSC
As an individual you CAN get audited, only for the last 2 financial years though. It is silly getting audited even if you did legitmately earned under 6000 but it can happen. You can submit a tax return for the last financial year and declare that income, but im assuming you havent kept a record of the hours worked etc since you dont have payslips.

I work in an independantly owned bottle shop at the moment and im in the same situation of not recieving payslips. However i do keep track of hours worked per week, from that i can confirm that the right amount has been taken out for PAYG, the correct amount for superannuation etc. If theres any issues ive got the documents to back it up. I would recommend you do keep track of hours worked etc on an excel sheet just so you know whats going on.

aussie-boy

HSC
if you're worried, declare the income... the gov will be more than happy to take the tax

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
i ticked something that said that i didn't have to declare my TFN because i was under eighteen and they write 333333333 etc. so that's what that means.

laniani

HSC
i dont ever remember ticking a box like that.....but they may have just assumed I'd want to.
But I was 18 for almost a month while working there anyway...so should'nt they have been taking tax out then?

I dont need to keep track of my records anymore. I dont work there anymore. I have friends there still, and one of them wants to make the complaint.
No way will I be filing a tax return...lol....I'm leaving that job behind.

Now I have myself a real job with payslips, tax, and super! yay! lol

John0

HSC
i ticked something that said that i didn't have to declare my TFN because i was under eighteen and they write 333333333 etc. so that's what that means.
Are you sured was taxed appropriately each week? sounds dodgy lol. When i was working in highschool(under 18) I had a TFN which i did declare. If you havent given/declared a TFN to your employer they're meant to be taxing your income at the highest rate.

BTW im not sure if any of you are in this situation but if you havent filled out a tax return for last financial year due to not having payslips etc or for whatever reason and you're after the $900 bonus thats coming in April. You need to have filled out a tax return for last financial year.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
Are you sured was taxed appropriately each week? sounds dodgy lol. When i was working in highschool(under 18) I had a TFN which i did declare. If you havent given/declared a TFN to your employer they're meant to be taxing your income at the highest rate.

BTW im not sure if any of you are in this situation but if you havent filled out a tax return for last financial year due to not having payslips etc or for whatever reason and you're after the $900 bonus thats coming in April. You need to have filled out a tax return for last financial year.
yeah, i didn't have to declare it when i started working there, but when i left they gave me this form from the ATO that i had to fill out and give back to them, i only earned 2000 dollars and i got taxed 106 and i got it all back. they did it legitimately, but because i was under eighteen i didn't have to declare it to them. the ATO deals with the rest of it.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
technically, you dont need to declare your TFN to your employer at any age, however not doing so means you may be taxed quite a bit depending on circumstances. Personally, if you have a TFN, i would declare it myself

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
technically, you dont need to declare your TFN to your employer at any age, however not doing so means you may be taxed quite a bit depending on circumstances. Personally, if you have a TFN, i would declare it myself
got taxed nothing. because i'm u18 and didn't earn enough to get taxed.

EDIT; i didn't have one at the time either.

John0

HSC
Thats why i said it sounded dodgy i thought you're meant to be taxed at the highest rate if you dont declare your TFN, regardless of age.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
Thats why i said it sounded dodgy i thought you're meant to be taxed at the highest rate if you dont declare your TFN, regardless of age.
unless you can claim an exemption. which is being u18 and not earning enough to pay tax.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)