Jobs in Canberra (1 Viewer)

blacksunset

HSC
Hi everyone
who else has a job/plans to get a job in canberra? I know us uni students need to work for our money (especially self catered as we work to eat)
I just scored myself a job at Bevilles in the city centre, which doesnt sound bril, but pays awesomely, great comisson/discounts etc :)
so who else will i be seeing around/might be able to scab a few discounts off ? ;)
xx

HSC
Hey. I'm trying for a transfer with Coles. I haven't been working there long enough to really qualify for one but the manager seems to like me. Plus, if I do get one, I'll finally be able to get my discount card, which will come in handy for the weekly shop.

Evilo

HSC
FYI - the nearest coles is at manuka, or belconnen. Either way you'll need to drive or bus there (from civic). Its just a bit to far to bike ride (although i've done it a few times) - its a fair distance.

Eriny

Awesome Member
HSC
I really want to get a job, but I haven't been successful yet... mostly because I've applied for 2 probably.

kretzy

HSC
I was about to start a thread about this too.

I'm going to need to find a job pretty much as soon as I get there. Trouble is trying to balance it with youth allowance so I'm not working unnecessarily. Even then you can only earn $236 a fortnight before they start to deduct from your allowance (bastards!). I might have to be naughty and find something cash in hand, in other words work at a cafe or restaurant.

Evilo

HSC
umm how much do you want to work a week? i mean 236 is about a shift a week which i reckon is fair enough, but any more, can you be bothered?

As far as illegal jobs go, i think you would have to use the local papers. As far as legal jobs go, its not to hard going around with a few cv;s and dropping them off at the stores. :)

kretzy

HSC
Evilo said:
umm how much do you want to work a week? i mean 236 is about a shift a week which i reckon is fair enough, but any more, can you be bothered?

As far as illegal jobs go, i think you would have to use the local papers. As far as legal jobs go, its not to hard going around with a few cv;s and dropping them off at the stores. :)
Yeah I suppose I'll play it by ear once I'm up there. Last year I worked two full days and Saturday mornings per week, but I only had 12 hours at uni.

One shift a week might be enough at this stage, in which case I will go for something 'legal'. As you said (and i've heard it from others as well) retail jobs are pretty easy to find up there.

Evilo

HSC
if you're proactive, it should be easy, i cbf so i didnt get a job lol

oh you've got 12 hrs a week - working heaps is out of the question for me got like 23hrs of in class time, then whatever out. Plus i need to account for drinking/gallavanting etc, and running.

blacksunset

HSC
omg!!!!!!
i had my first trainign session for bevilles today and i am NOT happy...
they told me id be gettingaid like 17-18 an hour, and i looked at my wage thing and it said 12.95, its totally shit i cant live on that
and they got me to sign an AWA without even reading it, im so upset, i dont know how im gonna be able to afford to live and im really worried :(
i mean if i worked 15 hours a week (which is nothing) id get like 193 dollars a week, take out 100 for food, then i got phone bill, petro if i need it, going out, clothes, im SCREWED
what should i do ?:'(
i dont even quality for centrelink as my parents earn too much (even though they're not giving me anything for next year, i tried to tell the lady that she didnt listen)

HSC
Lol. Coles pays me 13.5/hr which is the most of all the supermarket chains (bar Aldi), so they say. Oh, and no way I'd spend $100 on food per week. Don't forget to factor in tax. I usually work with $11/hr when working out how much I'll get paid a week (only roughly).

Last edited:

Eriny

Awesome Member
HSC
If worst comes to worst, 2 minute noodles are pretty damn cheap.

blacksunset

HSC
im gluten intolerant.. i cant eat them :(
its more the fact they actually broke the law, but im too pussy to do anything about it

Eriny

Awesome Member
HSC
Well, yeah. That isn't fair at all. If you call up the Workplace Authority or something, you can hear about what your rights are in this situation without actually losing your job. It might be a good idea.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
blacksunset said:
omg!!!!!!
i had my first trainign session for bevilles today and i am NOT happy...
they told me id be gettingaid like 17-18 an hour, and i looked at my wage thing and it said 12.95, its totally shit i cant live on that
and they got me to sign an AWA without even reading it, im so upset, i dont know how im gonna be able to afford to live and im really worried :(
i mean if i worked 15 hours a week (which is nothing) id get like 193 dollars a week, take out 100 for food, then i got phone bill, petro if i need it, going out, clothes, im SCREWED
what should i do ?:'(
i dont even quality for centrelink as my parents earn too much (even though they're not giving me anything for next year, i tried to tell the lady that she didnt listen)
$13 isn't that bad when you consider tax and super.

i'm meant to get $23 an hour but i get jewed out and end up getting $19 gross ($2 super contribution, plus tax).

either way uni students should never have to find it hard to live i reckon. if need be, have a firm talk with your parents and say "look, i don't want to work so many hours such that it's affecting my uni, and the 15 hours i work getting $13 an hour simply won't sustain me for a week" and see what they say (don't be ashamed to chuck in a few crocodile tears, you're a chick (KIDDING)). i reckon all parents should at least foot the bill for necessities like food/rent etc... it's not like you have a full time job anyway, and it's not like you're asking them to pay for your nights out partying or something.

or get a loan if need be (and repay it after you've finished your degree). either way GOOD LUCK DOOD

Last edited:

blacksunset

HSC
some of dont have teh ease of just getting our parents to help...
mums payting my accommodation but she cant afford to pay any more, and like... dad doesnt want to help.
so for me, it really is gonna be survival... and yes if i can afford food n stuff, i got a phone bill.. going out with friends..clothes, etc.
itd just be nice to FEEL secure with my money, rather than be worried 24/7

Evilo

HSC
i think we all want to feel that way, so don't worry, you're not in the boat by yourself. There are many ways to save money, and hanging around with tightass uni students will help. Tbh i wouldnt take on more than you can chew, but keep in mind that you're at uni to get a degree, not to work into the ground.
Do what you gotta do i spose,

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
don't worry until it happens dude. there's no such thing as a rich uni student (unless you pay full fees to do law at USYD and drive your dad's M5 to uni every day).

at the end of the day it depends how much you like spending and how expensive your tastes are. . i spend probably $80 a week on average (lunch/dinner out/petrol) and that's living at home, and last i checked my mum's weekly woolies' groceries receipt (covering a family of 5), it didn't come near $100.

it's a real shame those fuckers are closing down the anu supermarket, because things were there wow-cheap (think cheaper than woolies).

also look at this thread for a rough indication on how much an avg uni student spends on food: http://community.boredofstudies.org...sion/163807/food-expenses.html?highlight=food

Last edited:

Eriny

Awesome Member
HSC
blacksunset said:
some of dont have teh ease of just getting our parents to help...
mums payting my accommodation but she cant afford to pay any more, and like... dad doesnt want to help.
so for me, it really is gonna be survival... and yes if i can afford food n stuff, i got a phone bill.. going out with friends..clothes, etc.
itd just be nice to FEEL secure with my money, rather than be worried 24/7
I'm in a similar position, except I have to pay rent as well (although I have a scholarship and a uni fund which makes things a bit easier) my parents paid my upfront fees, and although I'm expecting them to contribute some more, I'm on my own for a high proportion of trying to pay for things. I'm thinking that it'll all be very possible if I scrimp a little more than what I usually do. I'm now actually really glad that I don't have a car. Anyway, yeah, I get what you mean. I've never thought a great deal about money before, like, I've never really wasted large sums of it, but I've always had it available to me and never thought of it as a significant thing, and now it seems so inane that I'll actually need it to complete all my important work, like uni.

blacksunset

HSC
its so annoying...
and unfortunently, there is such thing as a rich uni student... look at the boys from adfa (aka my boyfriend) who are getting no hecs fees and 20,000 a year just to study =P
i think hes gonna be paying for some of my food....lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)