Jodi Picoult's latest- Handlewith care (1 Viewer)

laniani

HSC
Anyone here read it? Thoughts?

I absolutely loved it. I have a genetically disabled brother,who also suffers from a mental disorder...so this book really connected to my, especially from Amelia's point of view.

Some people aren't overely liking it, and are saying that it's the basics of my sisters keeper, but with a different story line.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
I bought it as it was on special, at Borders, a couple of weeks after it was released, for $12.99 (when the RRP is $32.99)
I read it one day when I was bored.
It was virtually the same as every other story she's written. Yet another medico-legal thriller, written in simple language, with a moderate level of teen angst thrown in for good measure.
While I can also relate to being the older sibling of someone with a physical disability, I felt Amelia's character was rather shallow, not well developed and to be honest, quite pathetic.

So while as a light read, sure, it's ok, I wouldn't say I loved it or found it particularly enjoyable. And I wouldn't go so far as to say I shared a connection with it.

laniani

HSC
I've suffered through exactly what Amelia did, but for a long period of time- so I can't not feel a connection to the story.
But...I do believe that if I hadn't gone through anything, and if my brother wasnt disabled or mentally ill or demanding of everyones time, I wouldnt have been as in love with it.

The court case did annoy me....it seemed to just go on and on. And the ending seemed completely random and did shock me....but I liked that.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
I've suffered through exactly what Amelia did, but for a long period of time- so I can't not feel a connection to the story.
But...I do believe that if I hadn't gone through anything, and if my brother wasnt disabled or mentally ill or demanding of everyones time, I wouldnt have been as in love with it.

The court case did annoy me....it seemed to just go on and on. And the ending seemed completely random and did shock me....but I liked that.
That doesn't really make it a good book in itself, though.

laniani

HSC
in a way, yes. Jodi Picoult didn't go into the character deep enough I don't think. But the basics of the character were very real....her struggling with trying to help Willow, wanting to save Willow etc....and then her issues with just feeling so lost as the only thing that seemed to affect the family in any way was Willow's disability.
I do wish they went into her characted more though

laniani

HSC
yeh i would of thought she would have had feelings of anger and frustration not only helplessness, like lets say in real life, u'd take ur anger out on on someone right, this book doesnt incorporate these factors, but creates a more fictional character one whom is all but helpless
yeah, i agree. There are so many feelings that could've been explored in Amelia's character but weren't.
Um, but, I take my anger/ frustration out on myself, or just withdraw myself.....Amelia could have been doing that, BUT....that didnt seem to be where Jodi Picoult was going with her...

laniani

HSC
i think jodi picoult's maybe studied or worked with kids with mental problems, but has never actually worked with the siblings of such individuals, so she hasnt properly understood what goes on inside the mind of the sibling of the intellectually impaired individual
i like your way of thinking :)

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
all of her books are amazing. i loved the whole thing.

i cried when willow died. i fkn had to.

charlotte pissed me off a lot of the time

Last edited by a moderator:

Nickonaa

HSC
Ahhh i'm reading that book right now and almost finished :) I absolutely adore her writing... her stories are amazing.
Handle with care is such a beautiful story, Willow is such an amazing girl. But Sean and Charlotte annoys me a lot, especially Charlotte. :mad1:

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
oh way to spoil it for me christina!
i wont even bother to read it now!
omg i am so sorry :(
i forgot to put it in the thingy

no trust me you need to read it

ps. thanks tulipa i'll remember the scroll revealer thing next time :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)