• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

jogging and distance (1 Viewer)

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
hey guys i wanna start jogging to get fit, and was wondering is there something i can use to measure how far ive run. Something under $20 would be good.

theoneme

HSC
N/A
some step counters have a distance function on them where you could see have far you've run.

philz

HSC
You mean a pedometer? I remember some cereal used to give it for free inside each carton.. haha, wouldn't rely on those though.

I suppose shops like Rebel sport would sell them?

Cpt obvious

HSC
another way to do it is find a set path u want to run i.e around your block or something and then figure out how far that is.

CieL

HSC
Cpt obvious said:
another way to do it is find a set path u want to run i.e around your block or something and then figure out how far that is.
LOL yeah like use whereis.com.au, then put where you run (ie. A to B) and it calculates the distance.. it's usually for cars, but hey, why not?

And pedometers only measure how many steps you take.. everyone takes different sized steps so it's highly inaccurate..

If you're jogging, distance shouldnt be the main concern, it's time.

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
CieL said:
LOL yeah like use whereis.com.au, then put where you run (ie. A to B) and it calculates the distance.. it's usually for cars, but hey, why not?

And pedometers only measure how many steps you take.. everyone takes different sized steps so it's highly inaccurate..

If you're jogging, distance shouldnt be the main concern, it's time.

yep that sounds about right way to go about it...

i used to run as far as i could for 30 minutes or so, then run back home, memorise that route and try and go a bit further each time you run. Just try to keep your heart rate up for an extended period of time, whether it be on a bike, tredmill, erg, or with jump rope (although running around is easier for me because it isnt as boring).

L

littlewing69

Get a $10 stopwatch from Dick Smiths or a $2 kiddie watch with stopwatch function from K-mart. Run the same route, and extend it gradually.

As for finding the distance, I run along the main road in my suburb which goes for a about 6km. I figured that out with the street map (with a ruler and the crappy little scale hahaha) and double-checked with the equally inaccurate trip computer in my car.

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
thanks for the help ppl.

I found the best way to measure distance is using the 'measure' tool in Google Earth.

Cpt obvious

HSC
oh yeah another way is if u live near ur school u could just run its' cross country course

Kmahal1990

HSC
You should look for a time piece as opposed to how many steps you take. Anything after your aerobic threshold (when you can't talk while your jogging) is good for your heart, and anything from 20-50 minutes will do. Anything over that will start causing exhaustion. Or even better, don't jog and do 50m sprints. Do three sets of 10 X 50 metres. After every 50 metres, take a break according to how long you took to run that 50 metres. I.e run 50 metres 15 seconds, rest for 15 seconds. So the point is the more tired you become, the more rest you have. I find sprinting to get fitness is better, in order for jogging to be of any real benefit, you need to be in pain for an extended period of time.

P.S run on grass, or it'll wreck the cartilage between your needs.

carbyheat

HSC
I'd suggest you build a good base before your start putting intervals into your workout. (Intervals are like the 10x50 'sprints' mentioned before). While these will increase one aspect of your overall fitness, they're not ideal if your just starting out. They are only good for improving anaerobic fitness, which isn't really required unless your going to be doing sprints/climbs etc - in general do this stuff later.

Since you have just starting jogging then build up by doing moderate intensity (but don't be afraid to push that extra bit every now and again, as allready stated) jogs, slowly increase the time and look after your knees!

Most importantly have fun.

PS. Where I work we sell pedometers from $30 upwards. The basic one counts steps only, whereas the more expensive ones do distance, steps per minute and calories burnt. These go for around $60.
Also, if your looking at a heartrate monitor, the Polar FS1 is a basic but reliable unit - and you can't go wrong for $100.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)