John Donne (1 Viewer)

Auron

Does anyone believe that Donne's poetry is really relevant to society today? I'm being encouraged to see that it is and to make use of it in the HSC.

Anyone have a similar approach?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I believe his poetry does have relevance to today's society, and in fact, any society over the years - his poetry lies above any contexual restraints because it is an expression of his thoughts and desires, which poets have been doing for thousands of years. His love poetry especially, because the feeling of love hasnt changed since his time

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
i found technically, his poetry was very good. even if th context has changed, his poetry is still intellectual and witty and can be appreciated on various levels as society changes.

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
I loved my "reading" i made up during the exam... on the spot thinking...

An extistensilt view of Donne suggests his works are merely sonnets of "death" and how many metaphors and conceits expressed can be drawn out to relate to death. For instance the title of one his works "Good Friday, Riding Westward" symbolizes the death of christ leading to the death of the western world.
Existenstilst believe the west are creating their own problems such as war, environmental and spiritual damage. The believe this poems represents the destruction of the west

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Beaky
I loved my "reading" i made up during the exam... on the spot thinking...

An extistensilt view of Donne suggests his works are merely sonnets of "death" and how many metaphors and conceits expressed can be drawn out to relate to death. For instance the title of one his works "Good Friday, Riding Westward" symbolizes the death of christ leading to the death of the western world.
Existenstilst believe the west are creating their own problems such as war, environmental and spiritual damage. The believe this poems represents the destruction of the west
Very, uh, nice view there :p

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Originally posted by Auron
Does anyone believe that Donne's poetry is really relevant to society today? I'm being encouraged to see that it is and to make use of it in the HSC.

Anyone have a similar approach?
I think we study done more for the techniques that he use to create an intellectual and emotional argument in his poetry. I thought that we have to study DOnne because of different readings of his poem? eg, feminism, postmodernism etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)