John Frusciante quits Red Hot Chilli Peppers (1 Viewer)

Njn

nvrB♯nvrB♭.alwaysB♮
HSC
johnfrusciante.com said:
When I quit the band, over a year ago, we were on an indefinite hiatus. There was no drama or anger involved, and the other guys were very understanding. They are supportive of my doing whatever makes me happy and that goes both ways.

To put it simply, my musical interests have led me in a different direction. Upon rejoining, and throughout my time in the band, I was very excited about exploring the musical possibilities inherent in a rock band, and doing so with those people in particular. A couple of years ago, I began to feel that same excitement again, but this time it was about making a different kind of music, alone, and being my own engineer.

I really love the band and what we did. I understand and value that my work with them means a lot to many people, but I have to follow my interests. For me, art has never been something done out of a sense of duty. It is something I do because it is really fun, exciting, and interesting. Over the last 12 years, I have changed, as a person and artist, to such a degree that to do further work along the lines I did with the band would be to go against my own nature. There was no choice involved in this decision. I simply have to be what I am, and have to do what I must do.

Sending love and gratitude to you all.
Not so good news for Red Hot Chilli Pepper fans.

http://johnfrusciante.com

Last edited:

Arctopus

HSC
If you've ever heard his solo work or his collabs with The Mars Volta, you'll understand why he wanted to go his own way.

Njn

nvrB♯nvrB♭.alwaysB♮
HSC
If you've ever heard his solo work or his collabs with The Mars Volta, you'll understand why he wanted to go his own way.
No doubt RHCP, should they ever return, won't be the same without him. I've always seen Frusciante to be a pretty legendary guitarist, although I've never really paid much attention to solo career work. Could you perhaps point me in the right direction? (any noteworthy songs, perhaps)

Arctopus

HSC
No doubt RHCP, should they ever return, won't be the same without him. I've always seen Frusciante to be a pretty legendary guitarist, although I've never really paid much attention to solo career work. Could you perhaps point me in the right direction? (any noteworthy songs, perhaps)
YouTube - John Frusciante - Enough Of Me (The Empyrean) [track #7] with lyrics

Songs like that pretty much give you an idea of the sort of music he writes now. At times it still has that RHCP sort of vibe, but otherwise it's really different. He also played on all tracks of The Mars Volta's album Amputechture, except for one.

YouTube - The Mars Volta Amputechture

They're starkly different to RHCP as well. Flea actually played bass on their first album and Frusciante regularly features on all of their albums as well as their guitarists solo projects.

Njn

nvrB♯nvrB♭.alwaysB♮
HSC
Ahh.... yeah, this has a totally different sound to it, I can see how his conflicting musical interests might have lead to this. Pretty good songs those two, except wasn't too fond of the guitar solo in 'Enough Of Me'... that was kinda weird to my taste, haha.

philphie

Banned
HSC
i never liked the peppers but i love john's hendrix style guitar playing, so peppers are ven more shit now.

i hope frusciante goes and does a lot of psych/blues stuff

Arctopus

HSC
Ahh.... yeah, this has a totally different sound to it, I can see how his conflicting musical interests might have lead to this. Pretty good songs those two, except wasn't too fond of the guitar solo in 'Enough Of Me'... that was kinda weird to my taste, haha.
Hah, yeah. His total musical direction has gone to a more strange plane. Oh well, more power to him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)