John Keats, Life of Pi and Leunig Cartoon OTR (1 Viewer)

ameher

HSC
Hi there, does anyone have any notes on the followign related texts for the imaginative journey:
Life of Pi
La Belle Dame Sans Merci - John Keats
Leunig Cartooon- "The Life You Lead"

any help would be really appreaciated as this is urgent!!!.

also with the poem entitled "the Sunne rising" by John Donne be considered an imaginative journey.

Last edited:

princessm0ni

HSC
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']The dark grey colours which define the path of 'the life you lead' impart a sense of stagnancy and blandness to the text, effectively communicating how the well-trodden path is safe yet dull. This is counterpointed by the lighter hues which guide the way to 'the life you could have lead' with its positive connotations of adventure and hope in the processes of speculation. The monochromatic graphic outlines how [/FONT][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']imaginative[/FONT][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'] journeying and its possibilites can be made available to all. This is represented in the figure of the solitary man centred in the image, highlighting the significance of individual decisions in deciding the paths we carve for ourselves in this world and through life.

In contrast, the long shadows which follow the man in Leunig's comic symbolise the burden we may carry when we reject the [/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']imaginative[/FONT][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'] possibilities in our life [/FONT][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']journey[/FONT][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']. The pensieve look on the character's face suggests that in hindsight, walking 'the road not taken' may have been a wiser decision than following the traditional course in journeys. This sense of regret is visually represented by the juxtaposition of dark and light areas in the comic, emphasising how the continuous process of journeying can allow us to more effectively respond to the human condition, both the positive and negative ramifications."

[/FONT]

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
If you want to read the rest of my extempore analysis for the leunig cartoon see here http://community.boredofstudies.org...47/john-keats-life-pi-leunig-cartoon-otr.html.

Bobness said:
Remember to try to search for the more metaphoric meanings in the text rather than superficial analysis at face value. Mix and match, that works well!

And always structure your analysis in the form of techniques, effect and its link back to your thesis.

i.e. "The dark grey colours which define the path of 'the life you lead' impart a sense of stagnancy and blandness to the text, effectively communicating how the well-trodden path is safe yet dull. This is counterpointed by the lighter hues which guide the way to 'the life you could have lead' with its positive connotations of adventure and hope in the processes of speculation. The monochromatic graphic outlines how imaginative journeying and its possibilites can be made available to all. This is represented in the figure of the solitary man centred in the image, highlighting the significance of individual decisions in deciding the paths we carve for ourselves in this world and through life.

In contrast, the long shadows which follow the man in Leunig's comic symbolise the burden we may carry when we reject the imaginative possibilities in our life journey. The pensieve look on the character's face suggests that in hindsight, walking 'the road not taken' may have been a wiser decision than following the traditional course in journeys. This sense of regret is visually represented by the juxtaposition of dark and light areas in the comic, emphasising how the continuous process of journeying can allow us to more effectively respond to the human condition, both the positive and negative ramifications."

In my extempore analysis there i have used two different 'theses' for the two different paragraphs. As you can see, it's very subtle and it is this understated way of presenting your view of journeys (as opposed to crudely stating at the end of each paragraph "therefore this shows that the journey is more important than the arrival") which will give your essay that little ounce of flair!
Also, it's quite coincidental, but metaphysical poetry (ie Donne), the Romantics and Life of Pi are popular choices that i recommend my students to use. I think you're on the right path, just keep focusing upon the binaries within your texts whereby the fusion of perspectives lead to a higher understanding of the world and our internal condition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)