John Marsden 1942-2006 RIP (1 Viewer)

ohne

HSC
Turkey is as good a place as any to die: solicitor's journey ends abroad

John Marsden, the former Law Society president, died as defiantly as he lived, writes Kate McClymont.

JOHN MARSDEN maintained there were two great cities in the world, Rome and Campbelltown, but it was in Istanbul that the 64-year-old solicitor died early yesterday Sydney time.

Despite having a blood transfusion last week, Mr Marsden was determined not to let his lengthy battle with stomach cancer interfere with his trip to Dubai and Turkey.

Accompanied by his carer Michael Creswick and two other friends, one of them Wayne Flynn, a Sydney barrister, Mr Marsden left for Dubai on Friday.

In an email to friends before leaving, Mr Marsden wrote: "Yes, I am worried about my lack of strength and yes, I am worried about things that can happen but if you are going to stop in this big wide world, then you may as well stop and give up - and I don't stop and give up. That has never been my policy."

On Sunday night he rang the upper house MP Peter Breen from Dubai to see what the papers had written about his stoush with Mr Breen for defecting to the ALP. He told Mr Breen his legs were so swollen from a kidney infection he had been confined to a wheelchair.

"Don't go to Turkey, come home," Mr Breen said, to which Mr Marsden quipped: "Turkey's as good a place as anywhere to die."

His younger brother Jim said yesterday: "John chose not to take advice about travelling in his poor condition but he has been defiant for all of his life and he died the same way - defiantly."

Having had two bone marrow stem cell transplants in recent years, Mr Marsden had prepared a 37-page order of service for his funeral and Requiem Mass. It includes what his nieces and nephews are to say about him and says bottles of whisky and amyl nitrate and a marijuana joint are to be put in his coffin.

"I have been described as tough, arrogant, noisy and outrageous, over the top, mega ego - but a tenacious fighter for what I think is right," he wrote of himself in the order of service.

His friend Richard Cobden, SC, who is to present the Gay Rights Flag at his funeral, said Mr Marsden was "the most honest, bravest, hardest-fighting gay man I have ever known."

Indeed, the self-confessed "pot-smoking poofter" and former president of the NSW Law Society is probably best remembered for waging the nation's longest - and undoubtedly most salacious - defamation battle, against Channel Seven. The station broadcast programs in 1995 and 1996 claiming he had sex with underage boys, including rent boys.

Despite winning a reputed $9 million payout, most of which was his court costs, Mr Marsden's reputation was shredded. Every aspect of his private life - from his visits to railway toilets for anonymous sexual encounters to his use of amyl nitrate to heighten sexual pleasure - was paraded for public consumption.

His friend and barrister Michael Lee said yesterday: "The weight of the case crushed him financially despite his victory and it destroyed his health."

Ian Barker, QC, who represented him against Channel Seven, said "lawyers as clients are notoriously difficult, and he was no exception. I remember asking him at one stage why he bothered to pay me, when he could do it better himself." They had remained friends, he said.

Mr Marsden had friends from all walks of life - from the jailed businessman Rodney Adler to the Victorian Police Commissioner, Christine Nixon. Among those to give character evidence in his court case were Michael Knight, the former Labor Olympics minister, Ted Pickering, the former Liberal police minister, Tony Perich, the BRW rich lister, Mark Latham, the former federal Labor leader, and Kathryn Greiner, the former Sydney city councillor.

His funeral service says Mr Knight and businessman Rod McGeoch will give four-minute eulogies while his sister, Sally Paling, has been given seven minutes. His brother Jim and the High Court judge Michael Kirby both get five minutes.

In recent years Mr Marsden campaigned on human rights and social justice issues. One of his last emails to friends reflects on the disastrous handling of Private Jacob Kovco's death in Iraq: "Anyway, don't give up. I never give up. I never, ever quit. I hope to hang in there until I am about 80 like all those people that I see in The Sydney Morning Herald."

SMH May 19
Farewell to a great man.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Pfft. Highly debatable.

You're a bit late on it though.

X

xeuyrawp

Wasn't this a couple of weeks ago?

In any case, he was such an in-your-face queer that he didn't help gay rights. Not to mention the whole Saddam / Milat sagas.

That being said, he must have been an amazing lawyer.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Thanks John Marsden for helping me come out: Kirby
SMH - June 4, 2006

ONE of Australia's most eminent High Court judges, Justice Michael Kirby, yesterday praised the late John Marsden, saying Marsden was responsible for encouraging him to "come out" and declare his homosexuality. [...]

"John Marsden's example made me, and countless others, confront directly the false shame," Justice Kirby told the congregation at St John's Catholic Church in Campbelltown.

"Up to the 1970s and 1980s, indeed for millennia, most of us lived by the rule: 'Don't ask. Don't tell.' I did so myself. He fought for me and for Johan [van Vloten] my partner of 37 years. So we are here today with countless others to say our thanks." [...]

At times the service had a revivalist flavour as speakers attacked Marsden's detractors in Parliament and the media, and saying he had become a target because of his dedication to civil and gay rights. [...]

But it was Justice Kirby who grabbed the attention of the congregation with a powerful eulogy describing Marsden as a man of courage and a "change agent".

Recalling meetings with Marsden on public occasions in the 1980s and early 1990s, Justice Kirby said: "He would assail me with blistering criticism because I was still going along with the false habits of shame.

"Eventually, I and many others - but not all - followed his lead.

"Only by truth and rationality will the absurd misconceptions about homosexuals ultimately be laid at rest and the bullies defeated."

He referred scathingly to the "anti-lavender brigade", adding, "John Marsden's life will not alone change the attitudes of hate and shame. They remain firmly entrenched in many places. The fanatics, the bullies, the zealots and the self-righteous will try to keep it so." [...]

- Full Article

ohne

HSC
I agree with some of his views and disagree with others. He represented such a bizarre series of contradictions that I do not think that there is a person in the world with views similar to his. For example he was devout catholic whilst an open homosexual for over 15 years. I think at one point he was to be the Liberal candidate for Campbelltown in NSW elections in the 1960s or 70s but fell out with the party over support for an independent. He was good friends with former Liberal Premier John Fahey although I know he also had a good relationship with many Labor MPs. What matters is the work he did as an individual.

I admire him most for the work he did a resident of southwest Sydney. He gave more to the local community out here than just about anyone in its history. You can read more about him on his website www.marsdens.net.au

John Marsden Loses His Greatest Fight
24/05/2006

John Marsden died in Turkey on Thursday 18th of May 2006 after a long fight against cancer. With his death we have lost one of the most colourful figures in New South Wales' recent history.

John was born on the 3rd of January 1942, the eldest of six children in the South Western suburb of Campbelltown.

After attending St Johns Preparatory College in Campbelltown and St Joseph's College in Hunters Hill, John spent a short time in both Armidale and Springwood in Catholic seminaries preparing for the priesthood. John then studied Law at Sydney University.

Gaining placement with the firm Siller and Maddison under the direction of the then Shadow Minister for Justice, John Maddison, it was here that John discovered his passion for politics.

Finishing Law School in 1966 with a Bachelor of Laws, John started up as a sole practitioner in Campbelltown at the corner of Queen and Dumaresq Streets, which incidently, is where the head office to the firm still stands. John was passionate about developing a successful law firm, one that would be recognised State wide, but he was also adamant that the Head office to this firm would remain in his beloved Campbelltown.

With a passion for his work, John threw himself headlong into achieving results. His dedication to a cause or an organisation devoured all of his time. Actively involved in the Campbelltown community, his list of achievements is astounding, including:-

Foundation President and President of the Macarthur Law Society 1981-1989

Council of the New South Wales Law Society 1984-1993

President of the New South Wales Law Society 1992

Councillor for the Council for Civil Liberties 1976-1988 and 1992–1997

President of the Council for Civil Liberties 1984-1986 and 1993–1997

Deputy Chair of the Faculty of Law at the University of Western Sydney 1994-1996

Director of the Australian Aids Trust

Member of the NSW Police Board 1992-1995

Chairman of the Campbelltown City Art Gallery

Chairman of the Board of Management of the Casula Powerhouse Arts Centre.

To see John Marsdens expanded CV please see "Our Team" link.

Much of John's life has been well and truly in the public arena and it was remarkable that he was able to achieve so much and lead so many organisations as an openly and publicly gay man.

John Marsden built his legal practice into one of the top 25 legal firms in the State and this practice became his extended family. He lived for the law and believed passionately in the justice system. His biography entitled "John Marsden - I Am What I Am" opened with a quote from Ben Chifley who said "If an idea is worth fighting for, no matter what the penalty, fight for the right and truth and justice will prevail".

John Marsden lived by this statement. He fought every day of his life, for his clients, for his beliefs, for equality and justice. The period from 1995 through to 2001 saw John fighting to save his reputation when he single-handedly took on Channel 7 in Australia's longest running Defamation case and won. In his statement as he left court, John said "Although I have won, I have lost. But more importantly, Society has lost. This case should serve as a warning to every person here today; to every family and to every politician, that the price of justice in Australia has become so expensive that most people simply cannot afford it." John emerged victorious when judgement was handed down in his favour however, the toll on his health was clearly evident.

The celebrations for winning the case were short lived as John was diagnosed soon after with stomach cancer and was then to commence the battle in the fight for his life.

John fought the caner on a daily basis, refusing to give in. He tried to work every day that he could and was defiant until the end.

John Marsden was not everyone's cup of tea. He bucked convention. He challenged authority. He fought for minority groups and an individual's rights. He trod on toes. He criticised people, policies, laws and public opinion. He was so outspoken he invited people to take pot shots at his so called controversial views and eccentric behaviour.

But the test of a man's character and his contribution to Society is very simply measured by one question and one answer.

The Question: "Is the world a better place as a result of John Marsden's life?"

The Answer: "YES"

John Marsden (1942 - 2006).

Testamonials

" He constantly remained committed to law and politics as devices to make a better world. No place more did John want that better world to start than in Campbelltown. Beneath his bohemian style was a soul deeply committed to civil liberties and social justice"..... Macquarie Fields MP Steven Chaytor

"His passion and principles transcended political barriers. He was larger than life, he lived life to the fullest and he had the courage of his convictions. John was a trusted colleague, generous to fault and a true gentleman".... NSW Law Society President June McPhie

"He was a great campaigner for human rights, He just liked to be on centre stage promoting Campbelltown and its people. We should look at placing John in the business hall of fame (being set up by the local councils) for his contribution to the community and the legal profession"..... Campbelltown Mayor, Russell Matheson

"He carved out an outstanding career in law and in business out in Western Sydney"... Premier Morris Iemma

"He leaves behind a proud legacy of basic civil liberties and rights".... Cameron Murphy, President of the NSW Council of Civil Liberties.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
i worked for this guy during work experience at marsden's. wrote him some farewell letter thanking him for taking me on board (i'm hoping to apply for an apprenticeship later). ms. vardy a senior associate sent it to his office (see i never actually got to MEET him but)

true story.

ladyknight

HSC
Great man, great writer, great inspiration. The world is at a loss.

ohne

HSC
bobness said:
i worked for this guy during work experience at marsden's. wrote him some farewell letter thanking him for taking me on board (i'm hoping to apply for an apprenticeship later). ms. vardy a senior associate sent it to his office (see i never actually got to MEET him but)

true story.
Cool, it must be an honour to work for him, I know someone who did work experience with him as well recently. Steven Chaytor, the MP for Macquarie Fields also used to work for Marsdens in one of his first jobs and he made a tribute to John Marsden in parliament:

TRIBUTE TO MR JOHN ROBERT MARSDEN, AM

Mr STEVEN CHAYTOR (Macquarie Fields) [5.35 p.m.]: I speak to the legacy left by a leading constituent, John Robert Marsden, AM, of Denham Court. John Marsden passed away on 17 May 2006 aged 64 while on holiday in Turkey. Many individuals and organisations in south-western Sydney were influenced and improved by John Marsden's personal dedication to justice. His legacy will always remain relevant to the lives of future generations through the homosexual equality that he championed, through the law firm that he started and through being south-western Sydney's leading patron of the arts.

My first experiences with law and politics, like many other community leaders around Australia, was associated with John Marsden. One of my first jobs was to work for Marsdens in Campbelltown. John Marsden was the first person outside the Australian Labor Party to encourage and promote my involvement in politics. He did this by telling me to resign if I wanted to stand as a Labor candidate for Campbelltown council, and I did. John Marsden constantly remained committed to law and politics as devices to make a better world. There was no place that John wanted that better world to start than Campbelltown. I know the honourable member for Campbelltown and the honourable member for Camden would agree with that assessment.

In the same way that John Marsden's virtues were far greater than the average man, so were his vices. However, beneath John Marsden's bohemian style was a soul deeply committed to civil liberties and access to justice. Marsden was complex, controversial, passionate and intelligent. He added persona to polite conversation. Beneath Marsden's loud, confronting and sometimes obnoxious style were words that provided a voice for segments of the population unable to be heard. When I worked for Marsden the following statement was displayed prominently in his office:

In Germany they first came for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me and by that time no-one was left to speak up.

John Marsden was always outspoken. He was always a voice for freedom against discrimination. He loved art and was the driving force for the contributions by the State Government and Campbelltown and Liverpool councils to the recently opened Campbelltown Arts Centre and Casula Powerhouse. John Marsden was chairman of both those leading art institutes. He will be most remembered and most missed at the opening of the new Casula Powerhouse.

Campbelltown was Marsden's home. However, he performed on a much wider stage. He was President of the New South Wales Council for Civil Liberties and the New South Wales Law Society. He was board member of the Anti-Discrimination Board and the Police Board. In recent years he recovered from an unjustified attack on his personal life by politicians in this Parliament and by the media. He never recovered from stomach cancer. In his last years John was patron of "A Just Australia", campaigning for the rights of refugees. The week he passed away he wrote a letter to all Campbelltown councillors persuading them to work harder to protect a heritage building in his beloved city.

Phone calls from John Marsden happened too early in the morning. I always called back at a more polite hour. Marsden's voice mail was always entertaining and provocative. Today, for the last time, I rang to listen to his last voice message:

Hi, it's John Marsden. Well, life's not that good at the moment. Howard let us down, there's no protection of Human Rights and Civil Liberties. He just follows the leader, follows Bush all the time. Bob Carr gave us 10 years, no infrastructure, no action, nothing. However, there is hope for Australia. Pray for Australia. Don't pray for America, it's a waste of time. Ring me back, my mobile is on all the time. Good luck, God Bless, John Marsden.

In typical Marsden passion and style there is enough there for all of us to agree and disagree. John Marsden remained steadfastly committed to public causes, despite the increasing toll on his health, to the end. His family, his friends, his colleagues, his clients, his community and his local member of Parliament will miss him. Vale John Marsden.
glycerine said:
he was my housemate's uncle or something

ooooher
Hopefully he was one of his "favoured" nephews :)

Marsden has a final word
SMH
Kate McClymont
June 19, 2006

ECCENTRIC to the last, John Marsden left an estate valued at between $8 million and $10 million - and he left nothing to chance. He even left instructions on the future home for his collection of ornamental ducks.

The will of the colourful gay solicitor, who died last month, gives voice to his wide-ranging passions. He has left money to gay and lesbian groups, provided funding for permanent recognition of the link between what he described as the "two great cities in the world, Rome and Campbelltown" - and set aside $20,000 to pay for Masses for the repose of his soul.

The Herald understands Mr Marsden's will changed frequently as family and friends fell in and out of favour, and was finalised only this year.

Among those to be left with cash bequests were Mr Marsden's long-time carer, Raymond Attard, along with his secretary, driver and the more favoured of his nieces and nephews.

Mr Marsden's collection of 3000 ducks, including a ceramic duck telephone which quacks when it rings, has been left to the the general manager of Campbelltown City Council, Paul Tosi.

In his professional capacity, Mr Tosi may also have oversight of Mr Marsden's bequest to mark the ties between Rome and Campbelltown. In his will, the Campbelltown lawyer has left $200,000 to build a fountain to recognise "the close association of the two great cities".

Louise Aaron, a manager with the NSW Law Society, was initially left two donkeys in one of Mr Marsden's earlier wills, but following their demise she is now to receive a painting.

The bulk of his private art collection, valued at about $1.3 million, has been donated to the Campbelltown Art Centre, with a further significant cash bequest to assist in the construction of suitable accommodation for the collection.

Two amounts of $100,000 have been left to establish scholarships to help indigenous and gay and lesbian students from the area complete tertiary education. The Gay and Lesbian Counselling Service is also to receive $5000.

Mr Marsden's five siblings will inherit the remainder of the estate, which includes his Denham Court house, a unit in Sydney and a villa in Port Douglas.

And if fellow parishioners at St John's Catholic Church in Campbelltown thought they had heard the last of Mr Marsden they were mistaken, given the money he left for special Masses.

Cardinal George Pell, the Catholic Archbishop of Sydney, said yesterday that some priests charged nominal fees of $5, $10 or $20 to say prayers for the repose of the soul, while others charged nothing.

Asked yesterday about the $20,000 Mr Marsden had left for this purpose, Dr Pell described it as "a good investment".

Mr Marsden, 64, a former president of the NSW Law Society and the NSW Council for Civil Liberties, as well as a member of the Police Board, died in Istanbul on May 18 after a three-year battle with stomach cancer.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
sounds hawt.

geez let the man rest in peace why don't you :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)