Joining Societies (1 Viewer)

gpower000

HSC
I've been looking through the list of societies on the ARC websites for the upcoming O-week, and a lot of them look really interesting! However, with so many societies, I am somewhat at a loss what it comes to deciding which one to join. I understand that I can get a lot of information from O-week, but if anyone would be so kind to give a noob some tips...

1. How many societies can I realistically join?
2. How would you choose which society to join?
and finally
3. Is it possible for societies to be full, so if I took my sweet time deciding I might not be able to join?

D94

HSC
N/A
1. As many as you want. (I've joined some societies, I receive their emails, but I have not once attended their event or meeting)
2. Whichever society interests you.
3. I doubt it - they get a certain amount of money per member, so they want more people.

lordfraction

HSC
Uni Grad
You have to pay $350 to join the amateur football club even with arc membership. That's a bit pricey if you ask me!

HSC
Uni Grad
Societies will never be full, but some events like camps and balls will have limited places.

IMO, join the free ones first. For the societies that require you to pay a fee to join the society (i.e. Chinese Student Association), have a think about it carefully. You may learn from experience that a lot of societies you joined are not worth joining.

lordfraction

HSC
Uni Grad
It was on the brochure outside the unsw sports office. Without ARC membership it's 400 dollars.

Madridismo

HSC
It was on the brochure outside the unsw sports office. Without ARC membership it's 400 dollars.
Yeah that's not actually a society, it's an actual club where you play against other teams competitively in different competition; the sort that requires trials :p

lordfraction

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah that's not actually a society, it's an actual club where you play against other teams competitively in different competition; the sort that requires trials :p
I hope you're right. Are you gonna join, looks like it from your name =P
Also, I wanna join 6 a side a well.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yeah, and they're competitive so... no enthusiasts like me are allowed, unfortunately. I'm too n00b for their competition.

Madridismo

HSC
I hope you're right. Are you gonna join, looks like it from your name =P
Also, I wanna join 6 a side a well.
I would love too but I'm not in shape/fitness so I'll stand no chance in it. I shoulda trained :(

I want to join the 6 a side as well as the social soccer society which seems to be really neat and organised.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I would love too but I'm not in shape/fitness so I'll stand no chance in it. I shoulda trained :(

I want to join the 6 a side as well as the social soccer society which seems to be really neat and organised.
they don't have goalkeepers in their matches :(

I was severely disappointed.

Madridismo

HSC
lol wut m8?

I saw a picture of that though, but it was the mini goals, but they also say they play the futsal courts (which I think is more intense) and sometimes full field matches which might require a goalie. It's sill though :(

lordfraction

HSC
Uni Grad

Don't worry, it's social soccer lol I bet everyone's like that at the start.

why not join the 11 vs 11 matches?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
lol wut m8?

I saw a picture of that though, but it was the mini goals, but they also say they play the futsal courts (which I think is more intense) and sometimes full field matches which might require a goalie. It's sill though :(
As the number one choice goalkeeper for a certain team... I feel it's discrimination to not have a goalkeeper in any social soccer set-up :p

why not join the 11 vs 11 matches?
They have 11 v 11 matches? Or you mean the proper UNSW Football Club?

I'm not good enough for that... like, at all.

Madridismo

HSC
I'm far worse hahaha I'd probably be the smallest player there but I'd love to play with the UNSW Football Club.

As the number one choice goalkeeper for a certain team... I feel it's discrimination to not have a goalkeeper in any social soccer set-up :p

They have 11 v 11 matches? Or you mean the proper UNSW Football Club?

I'm not good enough for that... like, at all.
The social soccer have 11 v 11; hence full field games.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
The social soccer have 11 v 11; hence full field games.
They do? Really?

Hmm, must be a new thing they have because I don't remember them having those during semester.

Off-semester, yes - but I don't count those...

Madridismo

HSC
They do? Really?

Hmm, must be a new thing they have because I don't remember them having those during semester.

Off-semester, yes - but I don't count those...
I only gathered that information from their Facebook page. I only like the group because it seems so organised.

Question Shadowdue: Have you ever played on the futsal courts?

D94

HSC
N/A

It's just no-hands, but you can stand in the goals (well, the time I played, that's what we did).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)