Josh Groban - Anyone? (1 Viewer)

chepas

HSC
I can't believe the only way I found about this guy was via streaming Radio RockDtente from Qubec on the internet. Where is his Australian coverage? I haven't seen one TV ad, newspaper, magazine or other parchment bearing his likeness. Either that or I am blind or haven't been looking hard enough.

Josh Groban is my absolute favourite singer. I also love Michael Buble. Would you find their singles on the Top 50 Chart? Not likely .

People seem to automatically assume that in the case of Josh Groban, if you sing in Italian, French or Spanish that you're a classical singer. That is far from the truth.

Well do me a favour and check them out:
www.joshgroban.com and www.michaelbuble.com
Hurrah Darth Figgy! The only other soul on this earth (or well, country) that has fallen under his spell! I'm surprised that Josh generated any search matches on the Bored.

Anyway, is there another person out there that knows of and really likes this guy? I borrowed his self-titled album from the library and hence paid about a 5week late fee because it was played ad nauseam for about 2 months. The best song from it is Alla luce del sole I reckon.

And what about the Closer album? I want the version with the DVD and the two extra songs (pretty stingy and sneaky I reckon - depriving the poor cherubs who didn't buy the more expensive version of 2 songs!), but I can't find it anywhere anymore!. Such is my quest.

Anyway (again, that word.), the one that drew me too him was his cover of that temptress Edith Piaf's Hymne l'amour (another great singer!), but on first hearing I fealt really angered by his butchering of the great Piaf's version. Along with a French accent which sounded like he'd only spent some time with a coach specifically for that song... (reminiscent of Tina Arena and her French stuff... mmmm, shudder.) - nevertheless an MP3 of l'hymne later, and I was hooked.

Anyone?!?!?!?!?

(Excuse the floweryness of this little outpouring of emotion! :p)

Darth Figgy

Angel of Music
HSC
Originally posted by chepas
I can't believe the only way I found about this guy was via streaming Radio RockDtente from Qubec on the internet. Where is his Australian coverage? I haven't seen one TV ad, newspaper, magazine or other parchment bearing his likeness. Either that or I am blind or haven't been looking hard enough.

Hurrah Darth Figgy! The only other soul on this earth (or well, country) that has fallen under his spell! I'm surprised that Josh generated any search matches on the Bored.

Anyway, is there another person out there that knows of and really likes this guy? I borrowed his self-titled album from the library and hence paid about a 5week late fee because it was played ad nauseam for about 2 months. The best song from it is Alla luce del sole I reckon.

And what about the Closer album? I want the version with the DVD and the two extra songs (pretty stingy and sneaky I reckon - depriving the poor cherubs who didn't buy the more expensive version of 2 songs!), but I can't find it anywhere anymore!. Such is my quest.

Anyway (again, that word.), the one that drew me too him was his cover of that temptress Edith Piaf's Hymne l'amour (another great singer!), but on first hearing I fealt really angered by his butchering of the great Piaf's version. Along with a French accent which sounded like he'd only spent some time with a coach specifically for that song... (reminiscent of Tina Arena and her French stuff... mmmm, shudder.) - nevertheless an MP3 of l'hymne later, and I was hooked.

Anyone?!?!?!?!?

(Excuse the floweryness of this little outpouring of emotion! :p)
Wow! The first time I've seen a post with Josh Groban in the title on this forum! My heart almost stopped.

It's great to know that there is someone else who appreciates him as much as I do. I 'discovered' Josh about 2 and a 1/2 years ago when he played the role of Malcolm Wyatt in Ally McBeal. He was in 2 episodes - he sang 'You're Still You' in one and 'To Where You Are' in the other.

Being 1/2 French, it was quite a buzz to hear Josh sing 'Hymne A L'amour' - a true classic. It was Josh's first attempt at singing in French, so I think he did a fantastic job - he said he found it a lot more challenging than singing in Italian or Spanish.

I've got 2 copies of his debut album - one's from Germany. I've got the Internet only edition of Closer which includes 17 songs - a cover of the Nick Lachey song 'You're The Only Place' - a little of which was actually sung by Josh at his PBS concert and a cover of Linkin Park's 'My December'.
I got his PBS concert on DVD last January - have watched it so many times. I also have Charlotte Church's Enchantment DVD because Josh sings West Side Story's 'Somewhere' with her, as well as their beautiful rendition of 'The Prayer'. I've also got Sarah Brightman's La Luna DVD because it was Josh's first ever tour (he was 19) and he sang the english version of 'There For Me' with Sarah.
I've also heard that Josh may be touring Australia in Oct/Nov - as part of his current Closer tour *fingers crossed*

He's absolutely fantastic! :D

Last edited:

Darth Figgy

Angel of Music
HSC
P.S. I'll keep bumping this thread for as long as it takes people to finally appreciate this truly talented 23-year-old Californian! :D

btw- Chepas - are you a member of Grobania (the official Josh forum)?

chepas

HSC
HE'S COMING TO AUST!!!! YAY!

Should be more alert - esp with this concert thing on Ch7 last year!

How does the 'Internet Only' edition of Closer work? Do you download it or something, because I visited the site ages ago and wading through the biography seemed to be 3 diff versions of Closer - must get!

Josh and Linkin Park? Now that is an interesting contrast! Then I suppose it's like the Waifs who did that really folky version of this song that I can't rembember, but it was really Pop and top 50/30/20/10, anything's possible.

As for 'The Prayer' with Charlotte Church, that was the only other song of his that I thought was not done as well as it could have been done. They go well together, but still :D Good ole Celine and Andrea still have the upper hand :p

Mmm. My eyes open in Ticketek re: tour!

Edit: Yes, he warrented his own thread eventually/finally :D

Darth Figgy

Angel of Music
HSC
That's what I heard - there was an aussie Grobanite at one of Josh's US concerts and she got to speak to him and he mentioned that he may be touring - God I hope so! He also mentioned it when he was on the Today show at the end of last year.

the Internet edition has the behind the scenes DVD as well as 17 songs (2 more than the other special edition). You have to order it off the internet. I was fortunate enough to have a lovely lady in Virginia send it to me.

Check out his online store - lots of Josh goodies.

chepas

HSC
I just checked the internet edition of Closer out. $US29.98 + $US7.99 shipping? If the CD/DVD over here costs $A35, thats about $A20 just for the two other songs, totalling about $A55! Methinks I shall look on eBay or on an MP3 programme. Next payday I have a shopping list so yes, the Spec Edition of Closer is on that at least :) How long ago was Closer released?

Does he do video clips, by any stretch of the imagination? Might he even be on Rage if he does do clips? Most of the sort of non-pop, classical contemporary artists sometimes do.

I didn't know he was Californian - dunno why but I just thought he was from Canada.... :D

Darth Figgy

Angel of Music
HSC
Closer was released in the US on November 11 last year. It was released here on November 24th.

Yes, Josh does do clips - he did one for 'To Where You Are' off his debut album, 'You Raise Me Up' off Closer and 'Hymne A L'amour' which is on the Closer behind the scenes DVD. You're probably not likely to see his clips on the Australian chart - they haven't caught on to his greatness yet ;)

He's also done a lot of Sessions@AOL - in fact he was the No.1 live artist on AOL recently :D

Closer was also the No.1 album in the US at the beginning of the year! :D

Last edited:

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
what does he sing like poppy stuff or is it more rock

i've heard his name..somwhere

Darth Figgy

Angel of Music
HSC
he sings adult contemporary/pop/classical - a mixture of a lot of stuff.
he also plays piano and rock drums - so that comes into his music too.

did anybody watch Ally McBeal when it was on? Because he was in 2 episodes.

He also had the lead role in a production of 'Chess' the musical, on Broadway at the end of last year.

chepas

HSC
Was that in a different category to the sort of 'Top 30' pop stuff? Because if it's sort of the overall sales, that's pretty all right!

Ooh - Hymne l'amour is on the regular special edition CD/DVD? or just the net version?

And what's about the 'In Concert CD/DVD'? I've seen about a million versions in the shops, at different prices, but exactly the same thing. If it's classified as a DVD with a bonus CD it's more expensive, but if its a CD with a bonus DVD it's cheaper? (Or vice versa?) Hehe. Do you have the In Concert one? What's it like? It had Gira con me.. on it so that's good :D

About the clips - Rage still seems like the melting pot it always has been. Even if its more the alternative/adult contemporary stuff... I'll keep an eye on the playlists.

chepas

HSC
Originally posted by Darth Figgy
He also had the lead role in a production of 'Chess' the musical, on Broadway at the end of last year.
In all seriousness? Crikey, I love the Chess Anthem - that is something he should record!

Darth Figgy

Angel of Music
HSC
Yeah, he was No.1 on the Billboard Top 200 chart (that's the overall one). He beat Alicia Keys, Britney etc... and he has been in the Billboard Top 10 ever since! :D

The Closer DVD is the same on the 15 track SE as it is on the Internet edition.

The 'In Concert' DVD is the same whether it's packaged CD/DVD or DVD/CD - I got the CD/DVD version from the US before it came out here. All of the tracks from his debut album are performed at the concert as well as 'Broken Vow' from Closer and 'For Always' off the Artificial Intelligence soundtrack. He also plays the piano in one bit - he sings a bit of 'Your The Only Place', 'Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word' and 'Hard to say I'm Sorry'. On the CD, there are 8 tracks - including a specially recorded version of 'O Holy Night'.

He also recorded a duet, 'All I Know Of Love' with the one and only Barbra Striesand! :D (It's on her Duets CD)

chepas

HSC
Wow that's pretty serious - on the overall Billboards - though I almost died back in the days when LeAnn Rimes topped it for X consecutive weeks with "How Do I Live" (she's my favourtie isnger :)). They base their charts on sales as well hey (dum question?)? Pretty phenominal. What's his story of his discovery and his path to success? The website doesn't seem to give much on his life before Closer and the commercial success. ? Either that again or I play the part of someone who can't see beyond two clicks of a link...

Re 'O Holy Night' - nice. Any classically based singer with his or her salt should do a version of that in their lifetime :D

chepas

HSC
Re: charts. Wow, that's pretty phenomenal, for someone classically based to be on such a statistic dominated by those from those icky pop backgrounds. What's his secret :D Though, must admit, I'm a huge LeAnn Rimes fan and she lasted atop that chart with "How Do I Live" for 69 consecutive weeks in various stratospheric and not-so-stratospheric positions, when she did that about 7 years ago. (Shame shes all about pop and yuck now... bring back the country!)

Well, so what's Josh's story before all the commercial success, and his discovery etc? It seems pretty lucky that he was able to work with so many significant names on his first album, producers artists and all, so again, what was his secret? Hehe. the website to me doesn't seem to say much about his life pre-'Closer' and his commercial days (either that or I still can't see anything past two links...)

Re: 'O Holy Night' - yes... any decent performer worth his or her salt must do a version of that lovely song. Only in certain key signatures though or it just diieeees chronically :D

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
You raise me up....so I can climb the mountain...

That's the only song I have of Josh Groban.

Darth Figgy

Angel of Music
HSC
Josh was discovered by David Foster (music producer of The Corrs, Michael Jackson, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, Whitney Houston, Michael Buble...etc...) when he was 17 years old. David Foster needed a singer to fill in for Andrea Bocelli at the 1999 Grammy rehearsals, to sing 'The Prayer' with Celine Dion. Josh didn't want to do it - he was too scared, too shy, but eventually he agreed. His voice blew everyone away and now Rosie O'Donnell, Celine Dion, Faith Hill and basically everyone else who was at the rehearsal is a huge fan of his. He's appeared on the Oprah show about 3 times, The Tonight Show, The Sharon Osbourne show, Rosie O'Donnell, etc...etc...
and he sang at the pre-match entertainment for this years Superbowl - he sang 'You Raise Me Up' as a tribute to the crew of the shuttle columbia.

he's done heaps of other stuff...

homestar

i absolutely love josh groban and micheal buble, mostly josh though. i can't believe it, another fan it is so great to finally meet people with the same intserests. ;) i think right now my favourit song is oceano, but i love all of the songs he sings, i also love the one he sings with andrea corr on the dvd i have :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)