Journaling Around the trials (1 Viewer)

timmay05

HSC
Over the last 2 months my journal has 4 enteries, and only 1 in the last month.

However I have redrafted 4 times in this time, and I have all the drafts stuck into my draft scrap book. I have them annotated for changes but no reflection. In order to make up for the lack of enteries into the journal should I add in my reflections on the development of each draft???

Or ..??

James87

Club Mac - 1st Year 2006!
HSC
Hey Timmay, I am very much the same, havent done a whole lot of journaling, however, lots of drafting/editing. When we hand our journals in with our major work, do they actually look at them - or only if they need clarification? Hows the reflection coming??

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
i think there is going to be a very real emphasis on the journal this year to validate works in light of the 261 students who submitted works that might not have entirely been their own. having said that, i think the journal is really intended to reflect that the work is our own, so perhaps including a number of drafts of the major work and RS might be helpful in making markers aware that your major work is in fact your own. maybe you both could ask your teachers whether the drafts would suffice, or whether you might need to write brief reflections on one or two drafts, i'm not sure.

adambra

HSC
Seriously who doesn't forge their diary the night before. It's a fucking pain in the ass. I bet Herman Melville didn't keep a journal writing Moby Dick, so why should I, its just a burden on my creativity.

Last edited:

timmay05

HSC
Yeha...

I agree...

I forged mine for ages... well not exactly. I did everything it says in there in around about manner. Even if reading a book meant skimming a 200 page book in a day or so. :p

Best method was to come up with ideas then after I ahd worked out what I wanted to do find something/someone that did the same thing and acknowledge them. Meaning I did the work then researched it to suite as opposed to the way we are meant to do it!

timmay05

HSC
black_man said:
i think there is going to be a very real emphasis on the journal this year to validate works in light of the 261 students who submitted works that might not have entirely been their own. having said that, i think the journal is really intended to reflect that the work is our own, so perhaps including a number of drafts of the major work and RS might be helpful in making markers aware that your major work is in fact your own. maybe you both could ask your teachers whether the drafts would suffice, or whether you might need to write brief reflections on one or two drafts, i'm not sure.

In my journals (I have multiple) I estimate that I have OVER 200 pages of drafts, maybe pushing 300. SO that side of it is extremley well documented

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
that would certainly validate your work, in that case i'm not really sure whether you would need to include entries during the trials, if you feel it'll detract from your work within other subjects

scoby_2000

HSC
ive found that my ext. 2 journal has acted as a break from my study during trials....

therefore i have found some of my most productive things for my journal during the last 2 weeks

it also helps that my trials are really far apart so i have plenty of time to study and do other things (e.g. jorunal)

during this week i made a serious change in my piece...changing a character from nice to naughty :O:O:O:O omgomgomgomg!!!!

but yea....im hoping to get another copy of my script in by thursday that way she can read it fri. then i can redraft for a final over the w/e :D

hooray!!!

sooo almost done its not funny

the best thing about ext. 2 i reckon is that i enjoy it...and when one enjoys someting normally they do it well!! :D:D:D

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
I've got a stack of drafts and abt three exercise books worth of research. I've hardly done any reflections at all unless commenting on the usefulness of the research counts.

HSC
N/A
I had my "Three R Theory" for my journal last year. Read, Review, and Reflect :) This was mainly for research - I listed the title, did a mini-essay on the book, it's concepts and the bits I was interested in, and then I reflected on what I had learnt from the text and how it had affected me as a writer, how it could change/improve on my major work etc.

You should be *constantly* reflecting. Remember, the aim of the game is not just to write drafts - you should also be thinking about the writing process as a whole. The Board, unfortunately, are not gifted with psychic powers and concequently require you to actually write out what you're thinking.

Last year, I printed off my drafts where each page of text only took up about half a page. I'd stick this into my journal and write notes EVERYWHERE... things like "I really like this line, it shows how ______________", or "The character development here isn't as smooth as I'd like it to be. I thought of a way to fix it though, when I was reading _____ the other say - one of the characters was given frequent dream scenes where time was frozen and ______ ... I was thinking if I could do something like this (starting where _____) then everything might work more smoothly. Now, just to write it!" etc etc.

Drafts *are* good, but they're not exactly what I'd call reflection. Even if every few pages, you sort of write a diary entry - what you've done, what you think about it, what you think needs to be done from here etc etc.

tez0r

Rawr?
HSC
i say don't journal during the trials, CONCENTRATE, then work your heart out

HSC
N/A
Whoops, forgot to actually address the question at hand...

Depending on the individual, you can still be "journalling" during the trials if you hit rought spots where you just need to unwind.

HOWEVER - it's something to do when you don't need (or can't) be doing anything else. I strongly suggest you don't put aside "EE2 journal time" during trials unless you actually have the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)