Journalism Degrees (1 Viewer)

toby12

HSC
I was just wondering what Universities offer the best Journalism courses, and also which Sydney Universities offer Journalism courses. Thankyou!

HSC
ahoy.

ahuh, well yeah UTS are known to have great journalism+arts in communication, media courses... i dont think usyd has many courses... about two or three?? but its loco i say, its >90 plus. like i said... LOCO.

you should ask your career advisor :) she'll be in with the "know how".

peace.x

Matt Samson

HSC
UTS and CSU have the best journalism degrees in NSW (if not Australia).

The reason being that both universities while offering the theory, also have the practical.

USyd is a very theory based university, no matter what degree you do. They think theory is what drives the world.... NOT.

UTS is very hard to get into because it is located in Sydney and therefore demand for places is very high. More demand with a limited supply of places = higher UAI requirement (thats all the UAI is, just a market driven number).

CSU Bathurst is the next best option (the university I attend) for Journalism. Probably the same quality degree that is offered at UTS, except for the fact that it is in Bathurst.

If you're willing to make a sacrifice and move away from mummy and daddy for a few years of your life, you should at least put the B.Arts (Communication-Journalism) as your second preference.

CSU really isn't that bad, and Bathurst isn't really that bad. Check out my thread on the CSU forum: http://community.boredofstudies.org/595/general-charles-sturt-university/157292/pictures-csu.html

Beeno

HSC
In reply to the OP your best options are:

BA Media and Communications @ USYD
BA Communication (Journalism) @ UTS

and that Charles Sturt course.

I recommend Charles Sturt if you are willing to move there because (from my careers advisor) it's the best course for Journalism and (from a man, Peter, a journalist at The Daily Telegraph and a sort of trainee manager who I met on work experience) Charles Sturt produces one of the best candidates for cadetships in Journalism.

Matt Samson said:
USyd is a very theory based university, no matter what degree you do. They think theory is what drives the world.... NOT.
Actually, USYD BA Media and Communications has an internship in the last year, thus practical experience and my first preference (due to reputation) even though it's an unattainable 98.40 from 2007 cut-offs for me.

I was considering Charles Sturt for journalism but now decided I ain't willing to move away from my support system here in Sydney XD

I'm definately going to UTS (unless I miraculously get into USYD) either doing their Journalism, Public Communication or Visual COmmunication course because I want to do either journalism or adversiting.

UAI needed (at least) 85 + 5 bonus to get into Visual Communication (90UAI)!

I have UWS B Communication as my last preference...

I would NEVER consider a course that did not offer practical experience.

Last edited:

bling05

HSC
Matt Samson said:
UTS and CSU have the best journalism degrees in NSW (if not Australia).

The reason being that both universities while offering the theory, also have the practical.

UTS is very hard to get into because it is located in Sydney and therefore demand for places is very high. More demand with a limited supply of places = higher UAI requirement (thats all the UAI is, just a market driven number).

CSU Bathurst is the next best option (the university I attend) for Journalism. Probably the same quality degree that is offered at UTS, except for the fact that it is in Bathurst.

If you're willing to make a sacrifice and move away from mummy and daddy for a few years of your life, you should at least put the B.Arts (Communication-Journalism) as your second preference.

CSU really isn't that bad, and Bathurst isn't really that bad. Check out my thread on the CSU forum: http://community.boredofstudies.org/595/general-charles-sturt-university/157292/pictures-csu.html
What makes CSU and UTS so practical in comparison to USYD which has an internship in the final year?

Matt Samson

HSC
bling05 said:
What makes CSU and UTS so practical in comparison to USYD which has an internship in the final year?
Well if you feed students full of theory for two years, and get them to do an internship for the last year, they're learning on the job during the internship.

However, if the students have those practical skills already, and go on an internship, they are in a better position to impress a future employer.

CSU also has a radio station, as well as a radio news service that broadcasts to around 90 stations around Australia. The news service (National Radio News) is staffed by a few professional journalists, with cadets being from the School of Communication Journalism course. CSU also does well at print and also has a fully functioning television studio for practicing in.

UTS is better because they're right near the ABC (and SBS?) studios and a lot of the students go over there to work while they do their degree.

uSyd students sit in lecture halls thinking they're being trained (I loathe people who think theory gets you places).

Just to quote someone (who I wont name) who did Journalism at UTS (and is a journalist themselves now):

* If you want to be a journalist (work as one), you should go to UTS or CSU;
* If you want to teach journalism, go to uSyd.

Last edited:

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
CSU and UTS seems to come up quite often in the profiles of journalists.

Matt Samson

HSC
RogueAcademic said:
CSU and UTS seems to come up quite often in the profiles of journalists.
Yes and it just shows that you don't have to go to a sandstone university to get recognised.

In fact, in the case of Journalism, you're better off not going to one, and putting UTS as your first preference and CSU as your second preference.

poppop

HSC
N/A
UTS communications are quiet renowned and respected in the industry, but they do come with a high uai tag, due to obvious popularity.:uhoh:

eyetalian

HSC
N/A
hey how do much do journalists get paid? like the average graduate and ppl that work for SMH or Daily Telegraph? How do you get the high paying jobs in journalism where are they - are there certain magazines that are higher paying??

Thanks

chilena4life

HSC
You could also consider Macleay College...they have a combined degree/diploma course...the first year is super practical(most dont even continue with the degree because they get jobs)....then the second year is theory...its worth doing it in two years in comparison to the 3-4 you may face at regular uni's....

PS. it costs a lot of money ....but i think its worth it and they have a good reputation with industry teachers who know their stuff...

Last edited:

maz5

HSC
eyetalian said:
hey how do much do journalists get paid? like the average graduate and ppl that work for SMH or Daily Telegraph? How do you get the high paying jobs in journalism where are they - are there certain magazines that are higher paying??

Thanks
That's actually a really good question!!

skynet89

HSC
depends what position, but i'd say it's a respectable salary. but hey if you're blessed with good looks and a symmetrical face, tv presenters get paid easily over 100,000 a year. ian ross gets 1.4 mil i heard.

ZaraKu

HSC
Why no mention of communications (Mj. Journalism) at Newcastle Uni? Not good enough for you?? I'm hoping to do my degree there after I do Newstep (I only got 41.90 UAI so I have no chance of getting into USYD, even if I bribed the Dean a million bucks and showed him some leg lol), anyone studied journalism at Newey and if so, how was your experience?

maz5

HSC
ZaraKu said:
Why no mention of communications (Mj. Journalism) at Newcastle Uni? Not good enough for you?? I'm hoping to do my degree there after I do Newstep (I only got 41.90 UAI so I have no chance of getting into USYD, even if I bribed the Dean a million bucks and showed him some leg lol), anyone studied journalism at Newey and if so, how was your experience?
Living in Newcastle would help out the ease of studying there. If some are not willing to move to Bathurst, I doubt they would move to Newcastle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)