Journalism/Media (1 Viewer)

Which university are you going to or are hoping to go to?

• Sydney

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • UTS

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Macquarie

• NSW

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Other

• Total voters

very_confused

Hey guys I'm thinking of doing journalism next year or a combination jouranlism/law degree. Problem is I don't know which university to go to. ie strengths and weaknesses.
Any info would be appreciated.

These are the courses I'm looking at:
Media and Communications (Sydney) 98.5
Journalism/Law (UTS) 98.9
Journalism (UTS) 96.9
Media/Law (Macquarie) 95.05

Thanks

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I'm also looking at doing Journalism/Media and Comm next year, preferably at UTS (I think). You should also look at CSU Bathurst, it hasa high reputation, and also the University of Wollongong has a journalism program.

I really want to do media/law at Macquarie because the AFTRS is next door and u can do some part-time courses there too (not sure if there are any actually run through mac though, they might just be separate - anyone know??)

Yeah, and does anyone know why there's such a difference in UAI between the courses?

Is it really just the reputation thing, cos if u look at their course outlines there isn't THAT much of a difference...

Heard someone once say it's not the degree u hold for media but the actual industry experience you get outside of uni - with this argument and the fact that it's closest (well, to me at least, depends where u live, doesn't it?! :rolleyes: ) it seems to be just fine!

malayz_angel

I want to get into the course at Sydney actually-- my first preference would just be law at 99.6, but that's pretty unlikely. I don't think trying to get into jourmalism/media would make much difference though!

pinkbella

Dancing naked in the moonlight (can't handle it? d
UTS has the best reputation for journalism if you can get the uai. I'm doing media in writing at macq and it's a pretty good course. the friends i've got doing media/law seem to be having a pretty good time too.

But as ladypenelope said, there really isn't much difference in the course outlines. UTS is very practical based and Sydney is more focused on theory. If you're after the "reputation", then go for Sydney and become another upper class wanker :p (j/k)

bex

HSC
About that Sydney comment, i think ive said it before, but just because a uni is well known among the general community does not mean it has a well known rep. within the industry. CSU for example has been long established as an AWESOME comm uni because they combine modern theaory with a lot of practical new technology and experiences. However when i told my parents i wanted to go there, my dad thought i was talking bout some internet university and my mum freaked out and rand pretty much every radio station (i do commercial radio) she could think of before finally accepting it.

hello1

wow u guys have high aspirations........ i hope to get into an arts degree/communications..... lol easy option........ i know wollongong uni has BA communication studies and u can change into BA communications/media after one yr if u get average of 75% or something. Is anyone else interested in this course.... i would like to hear from u!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)