Journalism (1 Viewer)

starrysky

HSC
Journalism is my first preference.

I've applied for it at UWS. The cut-off is 70 (well, it was last year), and I got 68.25 for my UAI ... chuck in the additional 5 bonus points for being a regional resident, and I should make it in. I have no idea how transfers work, but I might transfer after first year, depending on how things go.

I had Macquarie on the list too, but I didn't make the cut-off.

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
um not "journalism" out right but i'm considering media and communications at unsw (wanted to do the usyd one cos it suited me perfectly but the cutoff was through the roof last year and i assume will also be super high this year) - does anyone know if the two courses are fairly similar?
otherwise i think i'll do a BA and gear it more towards journalism/media stuff and that way i get flexibility
and i'm considering some of the communication courses at uts but the uni itself is so off putting :( if only it were like usyd or unsw i'd be less reluctant to go there

starrysky

HSC
ahen said:
um not "journalism" out right but i'm considering media and communications at unsw (wanted to do the usyd one cos it suited me perfectly but the cutoff was through the roof last year and i assume will also be super high this year) - does anyone know if the two courses are fairly similar?
otherwise i think i'll do a BA and gear it more towards journalism/media stuff and that way i get flexibility
and i'm considering some of the communication courses at uts but the uni itself is so off putting :( if only it were like usyd or unsw i'd be less reluctant to go there
I think that whereas Journalism focuses on exactly that (and all its sub-genres, etc.), the Media & Comms @ UNSW focuses more on actual media, both traditional and digital. Therein lies the difference.

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
starrysky said:
I think that whereas Journalism focuses on exactly that (and all its sub-genres, etc.), the Media & Comms @ UNSW focuses more on actual media, both traditional and digital. Therein lies the difference.
oh i see, would you have any more info on this? or anywhere i could look aside from the obvious places ( booklets, uac guide and the website?)
thanks
and to the OP any particular reason you're interested in who's doing journalism? doing it yourself and if so which degree?
:)

starrysky

HSC
ahen said:
oh i see, would you have any more info on this? or anywhere i could look aside from the obvious places ( booklets, uac guide and the website?)
thanks
and to the OP any particular reason you're interested in who's doing journalism? doing it yourself and if so which degree?
:)
Nope. Sorry. UAC was where I got that bullshit I rambled on from. :p

emily-jayne

HSC
I am planning on taking a media and communications course at Deakin Universtity (VIC) - i wonder if anyone else is...

panicstation

HSC
I'm thinking UTS because I hear that the journalism is the best and they do all the work experience with the ABC being next door and all. I went to a journalism workshop at PLC earlier this year and this woman's daughter was at usyd and trying to transfer out because it wasn't really about journalism.

radicalbaddical

HSC
I think the journalism course at UTS is the best of the lot cos it's 3 yrs outright journalism, and you come out of it with heaps of experience cos of all the internships. I really want to do j/laws tho, but I think the cutoff was 98.4 last yr. Think there's any chance of making it with a 97.25??? :confused:

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
yeah i went to the journo lecture at uts and the lecturer was scarily cocky.. anyway the point was about how uts is the best with journalism etc and i think their degree would be the best not only cos its outright journalism but also the calibre of students due to the 95 cut off last year.
i'm cut though cos they don't seem to offer the 5 point bonus for communications degreets at uts WHY???????????????? :( so i'm thinking of doing writing and cultural studies - hopefully the UAI doesn't go flying up this year *glares at anyone with like a 95 who's thinking of doing the course*
there's also lots of journalism and communication courses at uws and uow that look really good and the cut offs aren't ridiculous either
damn i really wanted BA (Media and Communications) at usyd

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
aaah it was back at the open day, they'll probably do it again on the advisory day coming up on the 3rd

HSC
i was thinking of doing journalism - actually i really really wanted to do it, since year 10 or something. but since i want to do a double degree and UTS is probably the best place to do journalism (with something else), i decided not to as although my UAI is high enough for just journalism there, its not good enough for journalism and law.

panicstation

HSC
Are we thinking that the cutoffs for UTS are going to go mental this year, since there was an improvement in English marks?

kuroneko

HSC
Really want to do journalism. There are so many branches of it, though, I'm not sure where to go with it. =\

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
panicstation said:
Are we thinking that the cutoffs for UTS are going to go mental this year, since there was an improvement in English marks?
oh fuck
please don't say that
i will cry if i don't get into my course
:(
*anxiously thinks about the 17th of Jan*

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC
I appled for the Media&Com@UTS. Well, second preference.
My first is arts/edu@USyd.

There was a girl at the arts/edu lecture at Sydney's open day and she said at the Media&Com course at UTS isn't really journalism (or something, I don't really remember) and thus she transferred to Sydney's arts/edu?

I wouldn't mind doing journalism but.. all the unis I've considered (UNSW/USYD/UTS) have crazy journalism cut off marks.

panicstation

HSC
She must have meant it was not really arts because I haven't yet met a single person or talked to a single person who says it isn't journalism. Apparently, it is fullon right from day one and they tell you you have to think like a journalist from the very beginning. Sounds scary but good scary.

panicstation

HSC
ahen said:
oh fuck
please don't say that
i will cry if i don't get into my course
:(
*anxiously thinks about the 17th of Jan*
Yeh, me too. Am practising putting in my pin number as a way of distracting myself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)