Journalism! (1 Viewer)

Dan2008

HSC
I've finished my HSC, I'm going to uni next year, and I'm doing journalism ... BUT WHERE?

Everyone says something different about where to study!

Can people doing journalism or communications courses please shed some light on which university is best (or worst)? 08'ers, tell us where you plan to go, and why ...

CSU, UTS and USyd seem the most appealing, while UNSW, UWS and UOW also have courses ...

Last edited:

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
go where its the closest.....UTS is pretty good....though you would hardly ever be in the tower building...

Dan2008

HSC
UTS Journo seems alright!

CSU has some awesome alumni, but has the massive downside of being in the bush lol

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
UTS is probably your best bet if you're in the Sydney Metro area

Dan2008

HSC
UTS is popular ... can any USyd media comm guys tell us if your course is good? Because it seems everyone outside USyd doesn't really think its much chop ...

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
I considered CSU... but it's Bathurst and I don't want to be a journo anymore.

LAMBERS16

HSC
Dan2008 said:
I've finished my HSC, I'm going to uni next year, and I'm doing journalism ... BUT WHERE?

Everyone says something different about where to study!

Can people doing journalism or communications courses please shed some light on which university is best (or worst)? 08'ers, tell us where you plan to go, and why ...

CSU, UTS and USyd seem the most appealing, while UNSW, UWS and UOW also have courses ...
Hey. I too am interested in pursuing journalistic studies at university.
In July of 2008, I was privileged to go to a journalism work experience program at News Limited. The editorial manager told us that CSU was the best uni to go to for journalism. He also warned us not to choose University of Sydney (Media and Communications) - said it was one of the worst places to go to for journalism. As in, not meeting the requirements that future employers such as News Ltd and Fairfax look for.
Also, a lecturer at CSU for journo said: "Csu journo students become journalists, and uts students become writers."

I think it's also kinda stupid for uts to put the uai as 95.5 (or whatever it may be) as well. Many people in the communication industry that I met at news limited and local papers have told me numerous times that you don't need to be a genius, high band 6 heavy science scoring geek to be a journalist. There's more to being a journalist than achieving a 99.99 uai score. That's not to say that there are some who do achieve really high uai's that aren't journalism material. But the point CSU makes by not having a uai requirement is that they look for more than just brains in who is admitted to the journalism course at their tertiary institution.

If you didn't know, they make applicants complete an essay and a questionnaire. From how well one performs in the essay and the questionnaire, they decide who is successful in gaining a university place.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
LAMBERS16 said:
I think it's also kinda stupid for uts to put the uai as 95.5 (or whatever it may be) as well.
This is a result of students, not UTS.

LAMBERS16

HSC
AsyLum said:
This is a result of students, not UTS.
I understand what you're saying, but that's not the point I was making.
I was saying how Uni of Syd and UTS have uais for journo ranging from 95.05 to Usyd's 98.45 - and base successful student admissions solely on the rank one gets through the uai.

This is compared to CSU, where uai is considered 'n/a' - students are successful on the basis of an essay or questionnaire.

Therefore, it's up to the universities on how they admit students in. UTS and usyd think being a brain is the best way to become a journalist. Csu, on the otherhand, realises that there is more to the profession than just being 'smart'. The personality of a person is instrumental to the career of journalism, for instance, hence why charles sturt requires an essay question to be completed - the question is always involving the student to tell the reader about themselves.

Here's some other things people have said in other threads about csu journalism:

User: just_me

"You're right the uni doesnt publish a uai for the course, purely because there is alot more to Journalism than being smart. Like intelligence usually helps but getting 99 doesnt mean you have what it takes to be a Journalist.

CSU also gives you opportunities that other unis dont have. In second year if your doing broadcast (which yes I am doing to answer your question) you have the opportunity to apply for a 15 month PAID cadetship with National Radio News which is a national radio bulletin service. Basically you work in the industry, learn how to work in a professional environment and leave uni with 15 months national producing and presenting experience. I would have to say if your serious about Journalism and getting a job when you finish then you would have to try and get one of the positions.

I am currently a second year journo student at CSU and im prob biased too but i would say that CSU beats UTS by a long shot. The main reason for this is the practical work you get to do and the variety of subjects. They are not all arts and literature subjects they are actually relevant some are studying the audiences your write or broadcast to and some are more drama based to help you develop your communication skills and just to simply have some fun.

In second year if you choose to do broadcast you get to as part of your assessment take part in producing and broadcasting actual news to a real audience in the local newsroom and also have the amazing opportunity at becomming a cadet journalist with the national radio newsroom whcih is located on campus. This means you work in the newsroom as a paid journalist and get 15 months of amazing training and practical experience you would just not get anywhere else.

Another reason is alot of the lecturers have worked as journalists and frequently get professional journalists to come and give guest lectures about different aspects of journlaism.

And finally CSU has the most amazing social life. If you live in a dorm then you make heaps of instant friends and pretty much have the time of your life!!

hope this helps. If you have any questions just ask and i will hopefully be able to answer them for you."

As fpr UTS/CSU. I honestly think the Sydney Unis try to use their Sydney Status to boost their course. I am not doubting that they are a good option but as Loagin said, CSU is very focused on producing functional and efficent JOURNALISTS not talented and creative writers.

As for Broadcast, there is one thing that I would say out does ANY other University in Australia. National Radio News is the Australian Community Broadcasting Association's News Bulletin Service and Broadcasts hourly news Bulletins to 92 Community Stations with about 1 million listeners a week. At CSU Second year Broadcast Journalism Students have the option to apply for a cadetship position with the service (which yes is paid). I have been working with NRN for a year now and the amount of experience and expertise I have gained is absolutely priceless. Now where else are you going to be able to study, finishing your degree with 15 months industry experience, and contacts within the industry and a general knowledge and talent base that no one else can match.

We also have a fully functioning Television Studio with a control room and studio cameras. This allows students to film, edit, and produce industry length news bulletins for TV which is something alo of other unis just dont have access to."

User: Logain

"Hey there, I'm a 2nd year print journo, and as just_me said, UAI plays a very little role. But this doesn't mean the course is easy. Only a few of the 100 or so in my year are going on to becoming journalists. They need to know that you have strong grammar and reporting skills, and are willing to do extra work when it comes to experience at newspapers and TV stations etc."

User: slm86

"CSU is also the only university in Australia that has been invited to have students present at the Pacific Area Newspaper Publishers Association annual conference in Melbourne next Monday. This is the first time this has happened anywhere in the world, having journalism students speak to 400 newspaper editors."

User: MattSamson

"And just a point of reference (and I am not saying TEN NEWS is the be all and end all), but just take a look at the News Presenters page of TEN NEWS: News Presenters - TEN News - Seriously TEN

What university dominates it? I did not see mention of UTS anywhere, but saw a lot of mention of Charles Sturt University.

A lot of CSU Graduates work for the ABC and SBS, as well as Sky News, Channel 9 and Channel 7.

Do a little bit of investigation and you'll see CSU Journalism graduates in high positions within the industry."

maz5

HSC
LAMBERS16 said:
In July of 2008, I was privileged to go to a journalism work experience program at News Limited. The editorial manager told us that CSU was the best uni to go to for journalism. He also warned us not to choose University of Sydney (Media and Communications) - said it was one of the worst places to go to for journalism. As in, not meeting the requirements that future employers such as News Ltd and Fairfax look for.
Also, a lecturer at CSU for journo said: "Csu journo students become journalists, and uts students become writers."

I think it's also kinda stupid for uts to put the uai as 95.5 (or whatever it may be) as well. Many people in the communication industry that I met at news limited and local papers have told me numerous times that you don't need to be a genius, high band 6 heavy science scoring geek to be a journalist. There's more to being a journalist than achieving a 99.99 uai score. That's not to say that there are some who do achieve really high uai's that aren't journalism material. But the point CSU makes by not having a uai requirement is that they look for more than just brains in who is admitted to the journalism course at their tertiary institution.

If you didn't know, they make applicants complete an essay and a questionnaire. From how well one performs in the essay and the questionnaire, they decide who is successful in gaining a university place.
Thanks for that- valuable information.

I have a merit scholarship to go to USYD and my thinking has been if i can get into BA(Media and Comm) via flexible entry, then I will take it. However, all this talk about the low standard of a USYD degree has worried me.

Going to UTS seems like a better option. (I cannot uproot myself from Sydney to go to CSU as much as it would be the very best), but is USYD really that bad?

Also, any thoughts on UWS journalism degree?

LAMBERS16

HSC
maz5 said:
Thanks for that- valuable information.

I have a merit scholarship to go to USYD and my thinking has been if i can get into BA(Media and Comm) via flexible entry, then I will take it. However, all this talk about the low standard of a USYD degree has worried me.

Going to UTS seems like a better option. (I cannot uproot myself from Sydney to go to CSU as much as it would be the very best), but is USYD really that bad?

Also, any thoughts on UWS journalism degree?
That's okay. =]

In regards to your question, if I were you, I'd go for journalism at UTS. Uts, along with CSU have the best reputations in Australia regarding journo.
Maybe to help you decide easier, consider future career opportunities.
When I went to News Ltd, they spoke very highly of uts. There's heaps of practical experience as a student there, for example- the journo students write the newsletter/newspaper annually for the Sydney Writer's Festival. This is not only a good experience for the student, but also builds contacts - instrumental in a field like this.

Journalism at UWS is even worse than USyd. The reason for this is, their communications degrees are not as focused on one strand of the media. Eg. Photo journalism, tele production etc. Like Uts' degree is named 'Bachelor of Arts -Journalism', this isn't the case for Uws...reportedly. Got told that at news ltd too.

Csu is ultimately at the top of the scale with uts. I understand the distance may be a problem for you.. but for me, its the best option. I like the fact that the uai isn't the sole consideration in accepting student admissions - like, Usyd and UTS, where the uai just makes it more competitive.

Anyway, I hope I've helped on some level!
=]

skynet89

HSC
i'm in my second year of journalism at UTS and i can say it is worthwhile, even for someone who's not passionate about journalism. great facilities/teachers. the assignments are designed so that you will be competent in the workforce too, no spoon feeding. you go out and get you're own stories and your teacher has endless amounts of contacts for you to build up.

jennieTalia

HSC

Whilst I do agree that you don't need to be a "heavy science scoring geek to be a journalist" I disagree that the UAI is too high. Journalism is a competitive industry, and I think that getting a high UAI shows the lengths to which you will go to be accepted.
CSU does have a better reputation than UTS, and certaintly better that USyd...
I also thought it was good for CSU to have a questionnaire, but then again, this can be easily doctored to seem really good, when the person may not have the aptitude to be a journalist.
In the end, it is about the individual. I believe that some of us are suited to Journalism and others are not. At the end of the day, if you are good, you will get the gig.

I am starting at UTS on the 23/2/09 :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I understand what you're saying, but that's not the point I was making.
I was saying how Uni of Syd and UTS have uais for journo ranging from 95.05 to Usyd's 98.45 - and base successful student admissions solely on the rank one gets through the uai.
I think it's also kinda stupid for uts to put the uai as 95.5 (or whatever it may be) as well.
I wasn't arguing the trivialities of entry requirements, merely pointing to the fact that UTS did not 'put the UAI as 95.5' but it is a result of student demand.

Yes it may not be the best measure of a journalist, yes CSU takes an alternative pathway, but no, UAI cutoffs are usually not 'rigged' as you suggest it may be.

Also being a news reader, has got less to do with journalistic integrity/skill (especially on commercial television) than looks/connections.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)