journey to the interior- imaginative? (1 Viewer)

hasterz

HSC
im having trouble seeing how journey to the interior is an imaginative text........ to me it seems totally inner/ physical journey

hasterz

HSC
can some1 please tell me the imaginative aspects of the poem not the inner

angel_fire

HSC
This is because it is not really a imaginative Journey. we got told it relates mostly to the inner journey as for the person is reflecting her inner feeling through a physical journey. it is a physical journey showing a inner journey if that makes sense. Hope this helped. Soz if it didn't. Good luck with what ever you are doing. :)

hasterz

HSC
lol well i know i dont have to do it but we need to write an analysis on the imaginative aspects of the poem..... so there must be something on it.... unless my teacher lied ....? =p

fine ambiguity

almost there
HSC
I think it's about the most imaginative one in the booklet :confused: on the most simple level, she's IMAGINING these 'landscapes'... both the physical one described at the beginning (when she's talking about differences) and the mental journey. Then there's the 'imaginative' way in which she describes things -- best example is the sentence/log simile (sorry I don't have it near me so I can't exactly remember the line -_-) -- this is not within the 'real' realms but the 'imaginative' realms... so basically not only is she describing the dangers of an inner journey, but also of an imaginative one -- because surely to go on an inner journey you have to /imagine/ it, if it's not physical?

At least, that's the kind of thing I talk about :p

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I did it as a related text for my imag journ assessment this term and received 14/15. Though this was probably because I successfully linked it back to imaginative journeys.

First I analysed the poem thoroughly, and then played with the idea of the power of the imagination.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Well sees its not really about a physical journey, she just uses at as a metaphor for the inner imaginative journey. I think its the best text to do from the stimulus booklet for imag journeys, they're arent too many others you can do anyway.

I wrote some stuff on for class and i got 10/10 but i cant find it rite now. So i will post later

HSC
I haven't gone into a deep analysis into interior, but fine ambiguity and sweets' ideas sound right. Even if you're finding inner journey links, that's still all good because we've been told that in essays, it can sound more insightful if you mention in your discussion the fact that she's 'imagining' an 'inner journey', just by mentioning it you're sort of acknowledging that the imagination plays a part in other human experiences and is not an isolated process.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
heres my analysis of the first stanza. i hope it helps :cool:

Margaret Atwood’s ‘Journey into the interior’ [BOS stimulus booklet] explores the inner frontiers of the human soul through the metaphor of a physical journey. Atwood uses the physical terrain of the Canadian landscape as a metaphor for a psychological exploration of identity which is an elusive and subjective construct. In the opening stanza the juxtaposition of the industrial imagery of ‘welded’ and ‘wall’ with ‘hills’ and ‘prairies’ suggests the way in which nature is constructed rather than just found. Atwood through her comparison of the inner and physical exterior suggests that like nature, human nature is also subject to such construction. This challenges the humanist ideal that people are unified, knowing, rational beings who are unique and unchanging throughout time. Moreover, Atwood through the elongated syntactical structure of the opening stanza challenges notions that the inner world is authored and knowable. Atwood suggests that the way in which we see our worlds from a distance and how we apprehend it when we are close to suggests how our imagination is constantly reconfiguring according to our personal and social context: ‘That a cliff is not known/as rough except by hand’. Also what must be noted is the shift in modality in the middle of the first stanza: ‘Mostly’, as Atwood suggests the similarity between the ‘journey to the interior’ and other journeys is that ‘travel is not easy going/from point to point’. The journey of the self is not merely a journey in which we can rationally construct its parameters. Furthermore, the empatic last line: ‘there are no destinations apart from this’ reinforces the idea that it is the imaginative interplay with the interior journey of the self which is fundamental to all aspects of life.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
One very nice thing to do when analysing that poem is to explain what she means by the similarities and the differences. This gives you immense amounts to work with. Actually, there's just a hell a of a lot to work with. That poem is awesome.

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
im doing imaginative too..and i dont see how it really works. the other option is the road not taken. Can anyone help as to whether this is really imaginative either??

AND without being annoying i have an AOS essay for the hols. My ORM is "To the Cuckoo" by Wordsworth but i got a bit stuck on language features. any help would be so much appreciated!! :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)