Journey to the interior (1 Viewer)

honeyz

n e one got any ideas on how journey to the interior relates to the immaginative journey??

i could really use someones help ....

Last edited:

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20471
heres a start. This is mazza's notes on each text in the stimulus booklet. i dont know if they actually link to the variuos journeys though, but its a start :)

I found this book by top notes that actually has an anlysis of each text and relates it to the variuos focus journeys. i havent actually read it yet, but thats also a good start :)

my main argument for making this under imaginitive journey is that the composer is making connections to the outdoor terrain with her domestic life and speculates the world around her, also, first person allows the responder access to the composer's deep, personal and inner thoughts.

honeyz

thanks for that i'll check it out ....

if any one else has anything on "journey to the interior" plz tell ... i could use all the help i can get ..... thnx

Beckiki_S

I call President!
HSC
Well its imaginative becos shes using an extended metaphor to relate a physical journey to her inner psyche which is obviously not happening. She's not exploring mountains in her mind etc.
Just blab on about techniques like enjambment etc. They wont ask u for that one specifically. Better imaginative journey booklet texts are the wind in the willows, the road not taken and the ivory trail.

HSC
N/A
Some other techniques to note are the lack of punctuation and sudden use of rhyming couplets towards the end.

I know that some of the other texts in the stimulous booklet may be easier (certainly "The Road Not Taken", however so many people do this that at my school, we're actually not encouraged to use it because so many other people do!) but I wouldn't go as far to say that they are better. I think Journey To the Interior is quite a good one (I'm doing it! :D ) but requires a little more D & M type thinking.

I'm not sure whether anyone's mentioned it yet but anothing thing to note is how one's physical atmosphere/journey can distract from one's inner journey (constant references to everyday objects such as kitchen utensils). Also, physical journeys can be landmarked, by inner journeys cannot- hence all the "a compass is useless".

(below notes based on supplementary material given in class)

Structure: Poem becomes clearer as we go deeped into it, into the 'interior' of the poem. The further we go into the interior, the harder it is to map, to distinguish between one thing and another, increased ability to become lost (possible link to madness by inability to gain solid sense of self?)

Style: First person narrative using modern, free-verse structure. There is an unregulated form which allows Atwood to experiment with meaning- note how there is a constant sense of physical and inner journey at the same time (fancy huh?). Look at how they intertwine, conflict and co-exist.

The language itself is pretty straightforward, monologue, reflective, self-evaluative in tone. Natural pauses and hesitations of natural speech achieved by semicolons, rhetorical question etc.

And finally, another look at the 'objects' in the poem. We have overday things like unclosed gates, kitchen knives, clutter both in her mind and in her house, sometimes confused with each other such as the line "your shoe among the brambles under the chair". This obviously isn;t to suggest indoor plants, but how confusing and difficult it is to journey on both physical and inner journeys, how they conflect, merge with one another, and repeated references to the fact that "many have ventured here, but only some have returned safely".

And she also likens her inner journey to a physical one (perhaps the distinctions between the two, or lack of, might be something you can explore), with such references as sodden log, erratic movements of the sun, and finally, she describes her interior as a "landscape". Could this be likened to a unexplored/undiscovered land, which she is trying to discover/explore/chart?

Well, that's all I can think of now! Keep working, it's a good text and you should be able to get a lot out of it. Atwood is a brilliant writer!

Best wishes!

glorybox

Originally posted by kimmeh
http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20471
heres a start. This is mazza's notes on each text in the stimulus booklet. i dont know if they actually link to the variuos journeys though, but its a start :)

I found this book by top notes that actually has an anlysis of each text and relates it to the variuos focus journeys. i havent actually read it yet, but thats also a good start :)

my main argument for making this under imaginitive journey is that the composer is making connections to the outdoor terrain with her domestic life and speculates the world around her, also, first person allows the responder access to the composer's deep, personal and inner thoughts.
hey, just wondering if you could give me the title of the book, author/publisher, just all the relevant shit i need to find it. thanks majte ;)

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
thx a lot :)

i think its a purple book... i mite b wrong

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
five senses is also in north rocks :p

i tried goin tutor there for one lesson... waste of money.. hahah

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)