• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

JSTOR Articles Download for Free? (1 Viewer)

hafsah_

HSC
Heyyy,

I recently registered with JSTOR and I want to download their articles for my English texts so I can print them but it says I have to pay for them (it's like $18 per download). I have some other articles from Libguides here and there that have the 'JSTOR' on it but didn't require me to pay anything.

Is there a way around getting it for free or nah?

Thank youu.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
JSTOR is a database that hosts content such as academic journals and books. Similar to other databases such as Emerald Insight and Wiley Online Library, most of JSTOR's content is paid. As such, paid articles can either be individually downloaded for a fee (such as the one that you mentioned), or you can pay for a subscription, giving you access to most or all paid resources hosted on JSTOR. The latter is done by universities, i.e. universities subscribe to numerous databases across different fields/disciplines and give their students access to them, allowing students to use them as part of their research for their assignments.

Free content is made accessible by such databases and may be available from other sources as well. On the other hand, accessing paid articles will require either an individual payment or a subscription. The only way that you may be able to access paid articles is if a person with access provides you with a copy of the article(s). You should check whether your school has access to JSTOR, although from your post this does not appear to be the case. Otherwise, if you know someone who is studying at university, it is likely that they will have access to JSTOR, and will therefore be able to send you a copy of the article(s) in question.

I hope this helps! 😄

arcadian

HSC
- sometimes schools will have a subscription w jstor so you can login w the username and pwd the school gives you and you can download stuff for free
- state library of nsw --> register for free and gain access to a bunch of stuff including jstor
- pirate <3

(I do not endorse illegal modes of acquiring goods and services)

qweeosh

HSC
you could also message the author of the article that you are looking at, there is a rather large possibility that the person will send you a pdf of the article, you could also ask questions on the article itself too!

hafsah_

HSC
JSTOR is a database that hosts content such as academic journals and books. Similar to other databases such as Emerald Insight and Wiley Online Library, most of JSTOR's content is paid. As such, paid articles can either be individually downloaded for a fee (such as the one that you mentioned), or you can pay for a subscription, giving you access to most or all paid resources hosted on JSTOR. The latter is done by universities, i.e. universities subscribe to numerous databases across different fields/disciplines and give their students access to them, allowing students to use them as part of their research for their assignments.

Free content is made accessible by such databases and may be available from other sources as well. On the other hand, accessing paid articles will require either an individual payment or a subscription. The only way that you may be able to access paid articles is if a person with access provides you with a copy of the article(s). You should check whether your school has access to JSTOR, although from your post this does not appear to be the case. Otherwise, if you know someone who is studying at university, it is likely that they will have access to JSTOR, and will therefore be able to send you a copy of the article(s) in question.

I hope this helps! 😄
I'll probably ask my cousin to check if she has access to it.

Thank you so muchh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)