• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Judaism (1 Viewer)

Pegasus Ezekiel

HSC
I have been thinking (I do 1 unit SOR and we have just started the Judaism depth study) do the Kosher (I don't know how to spell that) rules allow the adherents to Judaism to eat sea mammals such as whales and dolphins and even otters?

My teacher can't help me and there is no Rabbi within walking distance so I thought this might be a good place to investigate.

yosemite sam

HSC
For a food to be considered kosher, if it is a land mammal, it must chew its cud (like how cows spit their food back up and rechew it) and for fish it must have scales and fins. Non-fish seafood is not permitted. It also has to be slaughtered according to the rules of kosher, where all the blood has to be removed and they have to sever the jugular vein in a certain way and whatnot, which would be difficult for whales and stuff even if they were permitted. and i like your screen name. lol

***Gabs***

HSC
Another question related to Judaism. The othodox sect hassidism, or chassidism or how ever you spell it, does it have the same festivals as General jews?

yosemite sam

HSC
since hassidic judaism is an offshoot of traditional orthodox judaism it would be fair to presume that they have the same festivals and celebrations as they are fundamental to the jewish religion. and i havent found anything to contradict that

zacb01

HSC
does the orthodox denomination have the same death and mourning rituals as normal jews

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)