• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Judges are more likely to make just outcomes than juries. Do (1 Viewer)

tjis

HSC
Please feel free to state your views and comments on this matter. Thank you for your cooperation.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Do?! Done!!!!!

Pick up copy of Brown et al, Criminal Laws > Read > Plagiarize. It's much more efficient than plagiarizing the thoughts of other people who may or may not have read the thing for ages.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
lol is it "do u agree with this statement?"

go back to legal studies forum kthnx.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
define 'judges', 'likely', 'just', 'outcome' and 'juries', and then i may help you.

i agree with hfis. go pick up our nasty crim book, and then plagiarise for your high school essay. legal studies teachers won't know the difference =]

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
tjis said:
Please feel free to state your views and comments on this matter. Thank you for your cooperation.
My comment on the matter would be that you should do some work on that essay question you've copied and pasted into the thread title, put forward some of your own views, and let us respond to them. Without expressing the remotest hint of interest in or effort towards the topic, it smacks of laziness. You are effectively calling for essay responses.

I don't have a problem with stimulating thought and helping to refine arguments, but it is a two-way process. I'm not going to spoon-feed you answers for your essay.

Some questions to ask yourself might be:
  • What is the rationale behind the jury system?
  • Are jury trials a safeguard on executive/state power? Do juries protect the liberty of citizens?
  • Does the jury system fulfil its purpose?
  • What is the history behind it? (Maybe have a look at the Magna Carta)
  • What are the differences between the way judges and juries think?
  • Can juries be trusted to be reasonable? Are they prone to emotional manipulation? Are judges better suited because they are detached machines of cold reason?
  • Is justice facilitated by the community passing a moral judgment? Is there are need to be in touch with the common standards of society?
  • Are more minds better than one?
  • Who is more impartial, a judge or jury?
  • Are there constitutional principles behind trial by jury? Do juries augment the rule of law?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)