Juliar betrays australia, destroys our economic future (1 Viewer)

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
Don't you still have to pay taxes to the Australian government though?
if your earn your income their.... I wouldn't see why you would have to pay taxes back to here..... This is why you get many uni students who are on HECS moving out of AUS once they finish uni, if you don't have to file a tax return here than you don't have to pay off you HECS debt

HSC
Uni Grad
if your earn your income their.... I wouldn't see why you would have to pay taxes back to here..... This is why you get many uni students who are on HECS moving out of AUS once they finish uni, if you don't have to file a tax return here than you don't have to pay off you HECS debt
oh wow that is ingenious

Subhas Bose

Banned
HSC
lol scuba my sister was telling me about that scam too i was wondering if it was actually true id like to see it confirmed

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
lol scuba my sister was telling me about that scam too i was wondering if it was actually true id like to see it confirmed
well you could research it more. but logically if you're not paying taxes in this country because you are an overseas resident and probs paying taxes in country X now, and are are not filing a tax return here for obvious reasons, than there is no reason why you would be paying off your hecs debt

EDIT: but obviously of course the debt never goes away and the amount you have to repay will keep increasing to keep up with inflation, thus if you ever return here BOOM the debt comes back.

Last edited:

Lentern

HSC
well you could research it more. but logically if you're not paying taxes in this country because you are an overseas resident and probs paying taxes in country X now, and are are not filing a tax return here for obvious reasons, than there is no reason why you would be paying off your hecs debt

EDIT: but obviously of course the debt never goes away and the amount you have to repay will keep increasing to keep up with inflation, thus if you ever return here BOOM the debt comes back.
I'm not at the taxation law end of my degree yet but I wooda thunk a lot of countries have reciprocal treaty agreements in the case of things like Hecs to allow the Aus government to, via third person foreign government, tax the dude who owes Aus government money. Obviously some countries wouldn't enter the agreement but other Commonwealth countries for example I imagine mostly would.

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
I'm not at the taxation law end of my degree yet but I wooda thunk a lot of countries have reciprocal treaty agreements in the case of things like Hecs to allow the Aus government to, via third person foreign government, tax the dude who owes Aus government money. Obviously some countries wouldn't enter the agreement but other Commonwealth countries for example I imagine mostly would.
did a some googling around, apparently it doesn't matter, even for Commonwealth countries

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Is your foreign employment income exempt from tax?
Your foreign employment income is exempt from tax if all of the following applies:
you are a resident of Australia
you are engaged in continuous foreign service as an employee for 91 days or more
your foreign service is directly attributable to any of the following -
delivery of Australian official development assistance by your employer
activities of your employer in operating a public fund declared by the Treasurer to be a developing country relief fund
activities of your employer in operating a public fund established and maintained to provide monetary relief to people in a developing foreign country who are distressed as a result of a disaster (a public disaster relief fund)
activities of your employer as a prescribed charitable or religious institution exempt from Australian income tax because it is located outside Australia or the institution is pursuing objectives outside Australia
deployment outside Australia by an Australian government (or an authority thereof) as a member of a disciplined force
and
you are not excluded from exemption by the non-exemption conditions.
If your foreign service is not directly attributable to these activities, you will need to include the foreign employment income in your tax return as assessable income.
You may be entitled to a foreign income tax offset for amounts of foreign tax you have paid.
Source.

I've always found the entire foreign income thing to be really confusing.

kfnmpah

HSC
46.5c in every dollar it is literally amazing how people even allow this
Right? And it's not JUST 46.5c in every dollar, it's $54,550 plus 45c for each $1 over $180,000
source: http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.aspx?doc=/content/12333.htm

Seriously, fuck that. That is so much money. you earn >180k, you're taxed 54,550 leaving you with only 125,450 before you're even taxed x amount in every dollar over 180k. Then there's mortgages, medicare, health fund, all that shit that you still have to pay. Fuck that.
I'm going to vote for the most capitalist party there is next election and when I have a job in statistics/finance i'm going to find a way to evade being taxed. Phony deductions, phony charaties, off shore accounts, you name it, I will have it.

edit: also, in these harsh economic times, you'd think the govt wouldn't be retarded enough to introduce a new tax when they need people to spend? nope. Labor govt, running the country into economic doom. Will be voting liberal next election. Just putting it out there.

full of gooks though
spoken like a true Australian. Making me proud, shane squires.

Last edited:

tobbinator

HSC
I don't see why people are complaining about it so much.

Yes, it is lowering the household income, but that is what it's supposed to do. It is designed to encourage people to use the now cheaper alternatives: green energy.

As a result, the high pollution industries, with lower incomes, look for more cost effective solutions. These solutions are now green energy sources

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
I don't see why people are complaining about it so much.

Yes, it is lowering the household income, but that is what it's supposed to do. It is designed to encourage people to use the now cheaper alternatives: green energy.

As a result, the high pollution industries, with lower incomes, look for more cost effective solutions. These solutions are now green energy sources
gosh if only that worked in the real world

Subhas Bose

Banned
HSC
thats cool kfnpah, if i ever find out you're sending your kids to a public school and using public services all while you're doing that stuff (which you won't be) ill make sure to send the coppers a saved copy of the post you just made then

abbeyroad

HSC
N/A
thats cool kfnpah, if i ever find out you're sending your kids to a public school and using public services all while you're doing that stuff (which you won't be) ill make sure to send the coppers a saved copy of the post you just made then
the thing is she doesn't have any kids, and I doubt that she actually uses most of the public 'services' taxes pay for. it's ridiculous that someone should be robbed at the equivalent of gunpoint for goods and services that they don't actually use, merely because of the possibility that in the indefinite future they ~might~ use them.

kfnmpah

HSC
the thing is she doesn't have any kids, and I doubt that she actually uses most of the public 'services' taxes pay for. it's ridiculous that someone should be robbed at the equivalent of gunpoint for goods and services that they don't actually use, merely because of the possibility that in the indefinite future they ~might~ use them.
This.
I use public transport like 4 times a year and that's about it.
The best you could probably come up with is that I drive on roads.
I don't get centrelink, I don't get a healthcare card, i get jack shit and I'm working towards becoming a teacher whilst paying my own way through life. I know people who do nothing with their lives and get so much money from the government. Why would I want to pay taxes to support a country that's not supporting me, but instead supports the drop kicks of now, the figurative skid marks on the underpants of society?

abbeyroad

HSC
N/A
never mind the fact that you actually have to ~pay~ to use public transport.

also I remember citing this paper a while back which shows fees from vehicle registration in australia are more than enough to cover public roads expenditure, assuming zero government waste (yeah right)

Lentern

HSC
This.
I use public transport like 4 times a year and that's about it.
The best you could probably come up with is that I drive on roads.
I don't get centrelink, I don't get a healthcare card, i get jack shit and I'm working towards becoming a teacher whilst paying my own way through life. I know people who do nothing with their lives and get so much money from the government. Why would I want to pay taxes to support a country that's not supporting me, but instead supports the drop kicks of now, the figurative skid marks on the underpants of society?
You're a free marketeer aspiring to do a job paid for by taxpayers dollars?

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
You're a free marketeer aspiring to do a job paid for by taxpayers dollars?
as am I, its a sweet job bra, starting wage will be like 60,000 when i start. teachers get paid so much its ridiculous. plus job security from A being a public servant and B the pretty much constant demand for teachers

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)