Junior sciences (1 Viewer)

ris08

HSC
how do you do well in junior science tests? Because at least at my school the marking is super strict, like they give you 0 for some questions if you don't mention a specific word and mark you down on the smallest things.
Not even hours of studying and memorising content could prepare you for the way that they mark which is why how you do in the tests is literally unpredictable.

MJRey

HSC
Get on top of all the specific terms that the teachers want to hear in your responses. Try to practice presenting your answers in a logical and coherent format since the science subjects have become somewhat more english based of late.

nathanzhou1234

HSC
how do you do well in junior science tests? Because at least at my school the marking is super strict, like they give you 0 for some questions if you don't mention a specific word and mark you down on the smallest things.
Not even hours of studying and memorising content could prepare you for the way that they mark which is why how you do in the tests is literally unpredictable.
I recommend making a list of all the key terms (usually you can find these in the glossary / index of science textbooks).

idkkdi

HSC
Honestly teachers need to get something better to do when they do this.

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
Honestly teachers need to get something better to do when they do this.
stuff like this causes pandemonium in my classes (and not just in junior sciences, even in the senior years), as soon as everyone gets their papers back they see their score and immediately begin the war campaign of fighting for marks. all i do is write down everything they need based on whatever nesa verb is in the question, and hope for the best

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
that being said, i never got above 70% marks in any of my junior science tests

kkk579

hello
HSC
stuff like this causes pandemonium in my classes (and not just in junior sciences, even in the senior years), as soon as everyone gets their papers back they see their score and immediately begin the war campaign of fighting for marks. all i do is write down everything they need based on whatever nesa verb is in the question, and hope for the best
I hate science teachers or maybe I just suck at science, idk could be either one

moonsuyoung

HSC
My school is also really strict with marking in science, especially my teacher as he is head of science and I asked him why he marks so harshly from other science teachers. He replied with (along the lines) that it prepares you for senior high-school science and the key information they are looking for, such as certain words, to answer in the questions as well as clear up any misunderstanding/subtle mistakes. As a student who came 1st in science in my junior years, my best advice is to always learn from your mistakes and question why your teacher marked it in that specific way. Instead of trying to study and memorise content, do more practice questions/short answers and get the short answers checked up by your teacher.

MissKrabappel

HSC
Hello, I am approaching my stage 6 science studies this year but I’ll be more than happy to share my tips in receiving high marks for both science exams and assignments. Firstly, questions on your science exams are going to be fixated on the stage 5 syllabus for science (I am assuming you’re in NSW). It is strategic to also develop a strong relationship with your teacher and they will tell you what sections of the syllabus will be examined in your exam. So my first tip would be try to grasp a great conceptual understanding of whatever syllabus dot point you’re doing in class. Second of all, I would recommend when revising to explain and inquire as to WHY scientific processes/theories/law/phenomena work and how it is relevant. Another tip would be mind mapping to establish connections (can be useful). I would also be aversive of note ”rereading” as it is low utility/inefficien, I would more so focus on active retrieval to enhance memory. But it’s mostly just understanding and how you apply it to a certain question.

For assessments, I usually received two types of assessments. Either it be a knowledge based presentation or report on a specific area or either a first/second hand practical investigation of scientific phenomena. My advise is to not slack off and start early in terms of gathering equipment and conducting the investigation. I also want to shed light on following the prescribed marking criteria your teacher has released. Follow that, I did that and received 43/45 on my year 10 assessment for practical reporting.

Thank you,

Miss Krabappel

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)