Jury Duty (1 Viewer)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
The HSC is still geared towards memorising and regurgitating -and hey, that suited me. People who can do this can get high UAIs, but law is sadly a different barrel of kettles.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Jonathan A said:
The course is more respectable among the profession than university degrees.
I couldn't help but notice this, and the fact you have taken it upon yourself to become the great crusader for the DipLaw in this thread.

Why, exactly, did you transfer into a degree?

BillytheFIsh

HSC
erawamai said:
It's a lot more competitive. Some might say we produce better lawyers these days.
I'm not quite sure about my view on the producing better lawyers bit.. I'm sure there's arguments both ways, I haven't really thought about it. But yeah, it is more competitive nowadays.

My point was in response to the comments above, about whether top lawyers have top UAIs.

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
BillytheFIsh said:
I'm not quite sure about my view on the producing better lawyers bit.. I'm sure there's arguments both ways, I haven't really thought about it. But yeah, it is more competitive nowadays.

My point was in response to the comments above, about whether top lawyers have top UAIs.
We produce better lawyers because we don't only get taught blackletter/chalk + board law. We get to learn stuff about the socioeconomic reasonings as a background to what we learn technically, thus allowing lawyers to be more sympathetic and stuff...

It was even in the SMH...

I think it's a load of shit though........I don't wanna hear someone's life story...

santaslayer

HSC
Iron said:
The HSC is still geared towards memorising and regurgitating -and hey, that suited me. People who can do this can get high UAIs, but law is sadly a different barrel of kettles.
I agree.

I can honestly say that I did not deserve the UAI I got. (even though it still wasn't too crash hot :p)

I chose subjects that had interelating topics ...globalisation, aboriginals, consumer stuff..workplace issues...etc...

studying one textbook was enough for me to pass everything....

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
santaslayer said:
We produce better lawyers because we don't only get taught blackletter/chalk + board law. We get to learn stuff about the socioeconomic reasonings as a background to what we learn technically, thus allowing lawyers to be more sympathetic and stuff...

It was even in the SMH...

I think it's a load of shit though........I don't wanna hear someone's life story...
"Blackletter/chalk+board law" ... What do you mean? When did you study law at other institutions? What gives you the authority to compare the teaching methods of your uni against any other? How do YOU know the way law is taught at UoW is any different to the way it is taught at USyd or UNSW or Macq or UTS etc etc etc???

The learning of what you have called "socioeconomic reasonings" is common throughout all law schools - it's nothing special nor unique to UoW ...

As for the "I know it's true because it was in the SMH" I know you really didn't mean it to come out like that because, after all, if we took as true (or even objective and independent) what we read in the newspapers, we wouldn't be very good lawyers, would we????

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
santaslayer said:
I

I can honestly say that I did not deserve the UAI I got. (even though it still wasn't too crash hot :p)
um what?

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
ManlyChief said:
"Blackletter/chalk+board law" ... What do you mean? When did you study law at other institutions? What gives you the authority to compare the teaching methods of your uni against any other? How do YOU know the way law is taught at UoW is any different to the way it is taught at USyd or UNSW or Macq or UTS etc etc etc???

The learning of what you have called "socioeconomic reasonings" is common throughout all law schools - it's nothing special nor unique to UoW ...

As for the "I know it's true because it was in the SMH" I know you really didn't mean it to come out like that because, after all, if we took as true (or even objective and independent) what we read in the newspapers, we wouldn't be very good lawyers, would we????
Ok buddy you need to remove that defensive little stick from your backside and stop jumping to conclusions (because after all, good lawyers don't jump to conclusions :rolleyes: ).

I believe Santa was referring the teaching of law in general when he made the comments about theory, in a diploma v degree sense....not once in any of his comments in this thread has he singled at UOW and said it has the best law school.

However if I am mistaken and Santa was referring to UOW specifically, he is conveying what he has read in a newspaper--no he has not attended another law school (just as you have not), he is using knowledge which has been put to him. There is no reason to get so goddam tetchy.

All it really took was 'Santa, they teach us the theoretical stuff too here at Viscount Shagnasty University'--your defensiveness and disregard for what he was actually trying to get at is not impressive.

EDIT: Re-reading over the comments concerned I was right--Santa's comment was in response to the person who said we produce better lawyers nowadays because of the high UAI requirements to even be admitted into a law degree. Santa was arguing that we (as in society collectively) are producing better lawyers because law schools now teach not only what the law says, but how it operates in society.

Last edited:

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
erawamai said:
um what?

Geez I feel like Im the translator in this thread for people's hostile misunderstandings....

"I didn't deserve the UAI I got" = "My UAI suggests I worked a lot harder than I actually did"

Pretty simple.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Ms 12 said:
EDIT: Re-reading over the comments concerned I was right--Santa's comment was in response to the person who said we produce better lawyers nowadays because of the high UAI requirements to even be admitted into a law degree. Santa was arguing that we (as in society collectively) are producing better lawyers because law schools now teach not only what the law says, but how it operates in society.
My comment about law schools putting out better lawyers today has nothing to do with the UAI. But rather the broader range of subjects that law students are required to do today plus the greater emphasis on teaching and better assessment.

This also includes the teaching of more than black letter.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
It wasn't you it was BillyTheFish

Santa got attacked by the other guy for posting a message that agrees with just what you said

ManlyChief

HSC
Ms 12 said:
I believe Santa was referring the teaching of law in general when he made the comments about theory, in a diploma v degree sense....not once in any of his comments in this thread has he singled at UOW and said it has the best law school.

However if I am mistaken and Santa was referring to UOW specifically, he is conveying what he has read in a newspaper--no he has not attended another law school (just as you have not), he is using knowledge which has been put to him. There is no reason to get so goddam tetchy.

All it really took was 'Santa, they teach us the theoretical stuff too here at Viscount Shagnasty University'--your defensiveness and disregard for what he was actually trying to get at is not impressive.

That I may have misunderstood the context of the post saddens me, and if that is the case, I apologise.

I was attempting to pick up on the negative line of arguement about "chalk board" law which has been made on other threads, and so naturally I understood the line of arguement about "chalk board" law here to refer to the same thing, given that so many posts (unless the contrary is stated) tend to refer to the attributes of one university as set against others.

Can we please return to the topic of Jury Duty now...?

Last edited:

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
ManlyChief said:
I have experienced teaching in other law schools, having done my first year of law at UNSW and having attended some law classes at the University of British Columbia while on exchange in Vancouver.
Gasp! You left unsw law for usyd law? *Faints* ;)

ManlyChief

HSC
erawamai said:
Gasp! You left unsw law for usyd law? *Faints* ;)
I think both are tops. UNSW has its charm, and so does USyd. I just feel better at USyd - there's not really any objective test for the change. That is why I know the bitchiness between the unis is all a bit silly, really :)

I wish I had the chance to study at other places too, UoW sounds very good from what I read here, as does UWS.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
ManlyChief said:
I think both are tops. UNSW has its charm, and so does USyd. I just feel better at USyd - there's not really any objective test for the change. That is why I know the bitchiness between the unis is all a bit silly, really :)
What teachers did you have in first year at unsw? Did part of the reason for chancging have to do with the lack of anicent history subjects in the arts faculty at unsw? Or were there too many com/law people at unsw?

ManlyChief

HSC
erawamai said:
What teachers did you have in first year at unsw? Did part of the reason for chancging have to do with the lack of anicent history subjects in the arts faculty at unsw? Or were there too many com/law people at unsw?
The differences in the (modern) history options was a little factor, but not decisive. The student body wasn't really a problem either. This sounds so irrational, but it was, generally, the "vibe". Teaching was fine, too.

X

xeuyrawp

MoonlightSonata said:
Hmm the air is pretty hostile in here

must be the sexual tension
Stop projecting your own life onto ours, you sexless tramp :p

santaslayer

HSC
Ms 12 said:
Santa was arguing that we (as in society collectively) are producing better lawyers because law schools now teach not only what the law says, but how it operates in society.
Yeah, that's correct. Thank you Ms 12.

Ms 12 said:
Geez I feel like Im the translator in this thread for people's hostile misunderstandings....

"I didn't deserve the UAI I got" = "My UAI suggests I worked a lot harder than I actually did"

Pretty simple.
Thank you again. :p
These people must have difficulty when reading cases in their law classes. :rolleyes:

Ms 12 said:
It wasn't you it was BillyTheFish

Santa got attacked by the other guy for posting a message that agrees with just what you said
Yep. LoLz.

:rolleyes:

ManlyChief said:
Blackletter/chalk+board law" ... What do you mean?
Simply put, the teaching of pure legal technicalities without the consideration of social and economical constraints in society. (not just social and eco...there are other factors).

It was in an article which one of the BoS members put up a while back. (Probably frigid...dunno, I rememeber exchanging words with MoonlightS as well on the topic..). It detailed how a judge (I think it was a judge) and how he was criticising how MOST universities only bothered with legal technicalities, which made them almost "robotic" with their work. Thimngs are improving these days. I don't agree witrh it. Simple as that.

I know this is very vauge but I am not bothering with proving myself by attempting to obtain the link to the article since MOST people understand what I am referring to. (Hopefully :p)

pwaryuex said:
Stop projecting your own life onto ours, you sexless tramp
That's true too. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)