Just a bit of help!! (1 Viewer)

GaNeSh

Official Chelsea FC Ultra
HSC
Hey everyone.....im studying My Place by Sally Morgan for inner journeys and im kinda desperate for some more ideas...because its a non-fiction/autobiography book it really lacks many features and im struggling to discuss many techniques...i really need some more techniques to complement first person etc...can somebody please help...

nwatts

HSC
Sally recorded the different sections from family members in their vernacular, and inserted them in her autobiography, to represent the impact they had on her journey.

Fit that in someone.

nickichicki01

hmmm...
HSC
Just some simple ideas you can play around with for your essay, Good luck

o Written in the first person
o Reflective and evaluative tone
o Careful simple style
o Language often colloquial, slang expressions e.g. ‘mongrels’ and ‘old blackfellas’ as the stories Sally tells are oral histories.
o Powerful dialogue “see we’re nothin’ just nothin’”
o Humour – jokes and tall stories
o Animal Imagery
o Repetition of scenes e.g. “Bird call” spiritually symbolic in the aboriginal culture is first heard when Sally is a child and heard again when he Nan has accepted death.
o Nan’s biography last in the book as a technique to show triumph that almost a lifetime of trying to get Nan’s story, she was able 2 do so.
o Humour to lighten sad parts.

vleung

nickichicki01 said:
o Repetition of scenes e.g. “Bird call” spiritually symbolic in the aboriginal culture is first heard when Sally is a child and heard again when he Nan has accepted death.
This one is probably better referred to as use of symbology or motif. Another motif used are the bells, representing control.

nickichicki01

hmmm...
HSC
ellipses said:
This one is probably better referred to as use of symbology or motif. Another motif used are the bells, representing control.

So does it sound alright if i write it this way?

The animal imagery used by Morgan illustrates the Aboriginal connection to the land and its inhabitants. This, along with reccurring motifs, such as the "Birdcall" is spiritually symbolic in Sally's Aboriginal culture which she uncovers during her journey.

vleung

Yup. Sounds good to me :) I was recently inspired to use the motifs thing in my essay as well, cos I felt that one of my My Place paragraphs was lacking in techniques, so kudos to you for listing so many techniques.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)