just a fun criminal law question (1 Viewer)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
that question was answered by my crim teacher many times.. the gist of his answer is that, a reasonable jury, if persuaded by many sources of evidence, can only come to the only logical conclusion, that the accused intended to kill/inflict GBH on the victim.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
Frigid said:
that question was answered by my crim teacher many times.. the gist of his answer is that, a reasonable jury, if persuaded by many sources of evidence, can only come to the only logical conclusion, that the accused intended to kill/inflict GBH on the victim.

so for a take home exam, i just have to state why i think"." she intended it basedd on factual evidence right?

coz the facts show it was calculated murder

HSC
hey mr eazy,

If you're doing Biz/Law @ uts, why are you doing crim? :S
and hows your court report going? im slowly going mad with the blinking cursor n the white white screen...and procrastination levels are going up....:D

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
mr EaZy said:
u guys arent going into the finer details of the case

Bob is a trainee paramedic- what relationship does a trainee have with a patient?
what standard of care do we place on him?

I did touch on standard of care! I just cant remember anything about it :p

santaslayer

HSC
The normal standard of care a fully accredited paramedic would I think.
The fully accreduited paramedic would be alongside the trainee, so he/she would be in a greater position of responsibility.

I didn't read the case..

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
There's not a big issue with standard of care... and BWS is not even formal law in Australia... are all of you really doing crim or have done crim?

The standard of care exercised by the paramedic is of minimal importance in this question. His treatment needs to be 'palpably wrong' (R v Jordan), not just 'thoroughly bad' (R v Smith) to sever causation. Bear in mind that the court is going to be VERY RELUCTANT to acquit a killer just because the patient later received some bad treatment.

Even in Evans and Gardiner, the doctor's failure to find a fatal, fractured bone was not enough to sever the accused's causation because it was merely bad treatment. It's not as if he did anything wrong. In this case, all the paramedic did was fail to give him treatment based on his medical expertise. He 'didnt accelerate the victim's death', which appears to be a threshold we need to overcome to sever causation (Evans and Gardiner).

And bear in mind, failing to get treatment is merely a 'loss of opportunity' to live(Bingapore).

So based on all these factors, one would reasonably conclude that the accused's actions were still an 'operating and substantial cause' that 'subsisted' up to the death of the accused (R v Hallet).

On the question of intention, you don't need to have 'desired' that the victim would die or receive GBH as a consequence of your actions to establish intention. It is sufficient that there is 'virtual certainity' that the victim would die or receive GBH. So, for example, if I attach you to a electric wheel chair and press the button, I don't need to desire to kill you to establish intention. In fact, I could be indifferent to whether you die or not. But it is still sufficient to form intention because I had 'virtual certainty' you were going to die. (Woolin, Hancock & Shankland).

Finally, a note regarding provocation. Delay is seen as an important factor by the Privy Council in R v R. It wasn't by the High Court. But later on, one of the judges in High Court conceded that his earlier partake in the majority judgment was wrong. So I guess the only conclusion we can draw from this is that delay doesn't bar provocation. It is a consideration, but not conclusive.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
great stuff omnidragon!!

and charlie: they made me do all biz subjects last sem
this sem they make us do LPH and LR
but these are not real law subjects - so i did crim law so that i can help decide if im the kind of guy suited to doing law

coz a lot of people hate LPH as its really boring (i dont think its boring- yet!)
LPH is not a law subject per se: its more on history, jurisprudence and processes of law hence Legal process and history

HSC
oh ok. so you're doing LPH+LR+Marketing+crim? or not doing marketing? i cant really imagine doing 26 cp...oh wait. i do. damn humanities.... bleh. but 26 cp with 20 cp of law subs....ugh.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Omnidragon said:
and BWS is not even formal law in Australia... are all of you really doing crim or have done crim?
I believe I said that. I have done crim and did fucking fantastic at it....just can't remember it....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)