Just a "General" Question (1 Viewer)

ZonedOut

Bing bang diggiriggidong
HSC
Hi everyone, I'm doing 2U Maths and Advanced English at the moment and have no intention changing however:

What's the difference in doing Standard and Advanced English?

And what's the difference between doing 2U and General Maths?

It's obviously easier/harder vice verse accordingly however is getting a 90 in say 2U math worth more than 90 in general maths?

It's probably going to make sense that 2U math will be worth more however is the difference that much far apart that we should choose to do calculus rather than significant figures? Lol.

braintic

HSC
N/A
90 in 2 unit Maths puts you on target for an ATAR of 95. This is achieved by about 17% of the candidature.
90 in General Maths puts you on target for an ATAR of 90. This is achieved by about 12% of the candidature.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi everyone, I'm doing 2U Maths and Advanced English at the moment and have no intention changing however:

What's the difference in doing Standard and Advanced English?

And what's the difference between doing 2U and General Maths?

It's obviously easier/harder vice verse accordingly however is getting a 90 in say 2U math worth more than 90 in general maths?

It's probably going to make sense that 2U math will be worth more however is the difference that much far apart that we should choose to do calculus rather than significant figures? Lol.
Std English is arguably not that much different from Adv, except you get arguably less sophisticated texts to respond to, there's no Shakespeare/old literature, the modules work a little differently, you still have to do the AOS.

Massive aligning difference to std and adv, Adv is much more favourable as say 10% of Adv candidature gets a B6, where only 0.8% of std does. Defs do Advanced.

General Maths and the 2u coursework are way different, as general covers different content to the calculus based 2U. Massive difference in scaling though, a 90 in 2U maths contributes better to an ATAR. (Approx a 90 in general gives an ATAR equivalency of a 91.2(scaled mark 37.5), where in 2U it's an equivalency of 95.5(scaled mark 40.7). Also a 90 in 2U is the top 17% of candidature, whilst a 90 in general is the top 6% of candidature.

Definitely recommend at least Adv and 2U if you are doing maths.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
advanced is not much harder than standard so you should consider advanced as the first priority. general maths and math 2u are greatly differnet. 2u introduces calculus and its application to the real world, this is a major topic that distinguisghes general from 2u.

ZonedOut

Bing bang diggiriggidong
HSC
Thankyou guys :) This was very helpful. Really didn't know that 2U could could influence such a change in atar if a band 6 was achieved. Same with the shocking statistics of Advanced English band 6 leniency.

Majorie

HSC
N/A
Thank you Zondeout for asking this question since i had the same doubt and now get clear. These are useful information, thank you once again.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm sure that Merchant of Venice is Shakespeare?? That's a Standard text I'm doing (later on of course). :D
Oh I forgot about Merchant, at my school they marketed it as you didn't have to do Shakespeare. It's not compulsory in standard to do a Shakespeare text as Merchant is the only one on the prescribed list. So most standard students do not whereas Adv students will.

Glad we could help ZonedOut :) I think doing 2U is great as it's the bare minimum maths that's a decent starting block for tertiary commerce, maths, science etc.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Right, that's interesting... So you could probably say it was a 'harder' Standard English text... What 'level' of English did you do? :)

Yes, same... :) 2U is really the 'bare minimum' as you say (especially over General Mathematics).
Merchant is actually one of my favorite texts, and I wouldn't really say its harder. Sure, there are anachronisms in the text, but once you actually start the deconstruction there's so much more depth that you can go into to get the higher marks. To be honest, if your teacher chose this I think you're at a bit of an advantage to a have a rich and sophisticated prescribed. As LHS said, Advanced students must study Shakespeare, it's teacher's discretion for standard (most don't). I think it really is because some standard students are initially abut overwhelmed by the language difference, and while for the most part I'm sure they are fully capable of understanding it, they are deterred by the language and think they can't do it, so they don't. With a great teacher to dispel all that, there's no reason why standard students don't have the capacity to study Shakespeare and do excellently, but BOS doesnt force them to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)