Just A Question (1 Viewer)

::laugh:: feminism has def. been overdone and in many parts of the world, it's now at the point where it's going completely against its basic principles. I meant eh whole girl-power thing and the empowerment of females has often been at the expense of males. It's so much more common for maes to be a victim of society now, in say Australia and America. But I understand that Aung Sun Suu Kyi is in Burma and for her and her country, the equalities we take for granted, they don't yet have. It just isn't eaxctly going to recieve a favourable audience with many teenagers that's all.

My friend's doing Ted Hughes. I really wanted to do Telling the Truth cos I can't stand the whole concept of powerplay. I'd rather not view life from the perspective that everyhing is to do with power. One of the past questions:
"power exists on all levels of human relationships." Discuss.
I'd rather just enjoy my friendships and stuff w/o thinking of it as a struggle for power?

You know, I think you're the only person I've met that likes the Pearson speech. I don't think it's bad but I'd really like to hear a favourable perspective on it for once. I find it difficult to discuss and I'm scared they'll specify because of all the politics in the English syllabus. Did you like the Atwood speech? It's quite a witty summation of literary criticism isn't it?

Kristy

i found the atwood speech interesting, that's for sure! actually very entertaining w/ her whole angel/whore theory....but again, feminism is highly over-rated.

i actually did a task that asked me to analyse the different ways in which oration has been used throughout history, w/ the speeches to illustrate examples. i used the atwood speech as my example of oration to entertain and influence and audience. it was a good task to do, bcos it gave me a better idea of how the speeches fitted together.

w/ the pearson speech, i think it was more the way our teacher presented that section to us. for distance ed all our work comes in separate booklets for each speech, and the pearson one contained a whole bunch of related/background material that was really interesting - the stolen generation, the black armband view, newspaper articles and such. i think that learning the speech in a more complete sense of context and perspective really helped :)

oh it definitely would. We only spent a double on that speech - 80min? It was disastrous because we all split up and did the speeches as group work. The group that did Pearson presented some history, but they didn't understand the speech themselves. For example, they got really confused with the long quotations, and didn't actually realise that some of the parts were quotations? And my teacher thought the structure and stuff was messy. The general consensus at our skewl would prob. be that that's the worst of the lot. But then most ppl couldn't appreciate Atwood either (cos it's long and they're lazy). I really liked Atwood.

Kristy

me too :)

i think that was one of the better parts of the pearson speech, like how he used the letter from the native title claimants to illustrate his point? but i can see how it could be confusing! our teacher gave us a copy of the speech w/ the quotes in a different font, which pretty much eliminated that problem.

Hmm, your correspondence teacher sounds mad! Does he/she write a lot of the material that you use or does the material come in pre-written textbooks? Like, how much actualy teaching does a correspondence teacher do?

Coffee_Fan

Wait for the dark
hey johnson

g'day, well my school is pretty cool 600+ altogether, i think there's bout 120 in our grade. Our school academic wise is good, we get pretty good results in the hsc but not as good as ruse etc

Kristy

our teacher is actually a bit slack, she doesn't seem very orgainsed.

as far as i know, all the booklets have been written by a panel of teachers and they don't really change from yr to yr (apart from changing to the new syllabus) - all my teacher does is mark them and post them :)

we do have special teaching plans and stuff, and she sends us lots of revision - she's really good about helping when we get stuck - we can call or email whenever we need help.

apart from that, we pretty much teach ourselves - everything is there, it's just a matter of self-discipline. i do have an english tutor and a regular teacher @ my school who helps me out sometimes, so it's really not too bad @ all.

the hardest part is not having someone to make you do the work - it's up to me when i do it and how much, bcos there is only a certain amount of stuff that i have to send back and the teachers are pretty lenient w/ the due dates :)

SaveFerris

Originally posted by Hedera Colchica
oh it definitely would. We only spent a double on that speech - 80min? It was disastrous because we all split up and did the speeches as group work. The group that did Pearson presented some history, but they didn't understand the speech themselves. For example, they got really confused with the long quotations, and didn't actually realise that some of the parts were quotations? And my teacher thought the structure and stuff was messy. The general consensus at our skewl would prob. be that that's the worst of the lot. But then most ppl couldn't appreciate Atwood either (cos it's long and they're lazy). I really liked Atwood.
We had a similar problem at my school with speeches. Each group did one speech each and then presented to the rest of the class. As a result, some of them I know nothing about (i.e. Keating, Pearson, MacAleese, etc.) because the teachers of the classes that combined for the module miscalculated or something and these speeches we had to "research ourselves" in like the last 2 days of the module.

BTW, Hedera Colchica, it sounds like you're doing exactly the same modules as me...Hamlet/Rosencrantz, Speeches, 1984...I also loved Transformations but am not so keen on 1984!

Kristy

that's terrible, about both your speeches modules, did you complain to your teachers? i know i sure would...

that's one good thing about the distance ed course - everything is really well set out, time wise. but i guess nothing would compare to a real teacher in a real classroom :)

i love my teacher, this is the fourth year i've had her and she's great. The ones that wetren't factored in on group work she taught us herself, and of course hse did a good job of it. the 1984 topic tho... like, in class we only had about 4wks to do it and every second lesson was dedicated to revision on change etc so i still feel as though i know nothing about it :(

and kristy, my teacher tries real hard but just with how crammed the english syllabus is, she aint superwoman, so it's not her fault you know? so i ddn't really have much to complain about or nothing

what the?

Are you insinuating that they're both me or are you just completely out of it? Well if you think I'm sad enuf to talk to myself you're completely out of it.

If there was never that suggestion in the first place, would u care to clarify your meaning?

Kristy

yeah, why would she just invent a new person and talk to herself?

that seems a little silly....

hey, if you did - i reckon saveferris is a pretty cool user name - lol ;-)

::laugh:: no it wasn't me, but yeh saveferris is a kewl name.

wrongun's from my skewl, he/she's prob. figured out who i am by now but i have no idea who he/she is. And there's been a thing with ppl from ym skewl coming on here and doing sad things like inventing new ppl etc.

Kristy

ohhhhh - obviously they have way too much time on their hands!

hey, you go to james ruse, don't you?

so shouldn't they be studying away, working on getting their fantastic 99+ UAIs so they can beat the hell out of the little ppl like me?

i've seen ferris beuller.. twice at thtat...
but not the five hundred million times some of my friends have seen it

so soz, didn't know that..

what u mean i'm operating on two levels?

Kristy

yeah, i understood the movie reference (cool flick - one of my sister's favs) but i thought there was some kind of underlying sarcastic thing going on....

maybe i was reading too much into this?

but i bet it's none of my business anyway :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)