Just Arts? (1 Viewer)

Starlight39

HSC
Just out of curiosity, how many people at ANU do a straight arts degree? Also in the colleges/halls - how many people accepted into them do just arts?

I intend on doing Arts/Law or Arts/Psych (I can't decide!!), so the answer doesn't really apply to me, but I was just wondering :)

Thankyou to anyone who answers :)

Cianyx

Planarian Leader
HSC
1. Haven't met that many. Most people do a double degree here
2. A lot of white people so you'd probably find quite a few

Politic

HSC
N/A
Just out of curiosity, how many people at ANU do a straight arts degree? Also in the colleges/halls - how many people accepted into them do just arts?

I intend on doing Arts/Law or Arts/Psych (I can't decide!!), so the answer doesn't really apply to me, but I was just wondering :)

Thankyou to anyone who answers :)
Depends whether you wanna go into law or psych. What are your thoughts? I too am in a very similar situation with you.

Starlight39

HSC
I'm leaning more towards Law at the moment, its something which I'm very interested in and can see myself doing as a career. I'm interested in psych too, but career-wise I'm thinking Law would be a better avenue to go down personally. But then again the Law program, from what I've been told, it quite difficult. Everytime I think of this my mind starts going round in circles... I could do them both as a combined degree, but I want to do Arts. Its at the point now where I'm just getting frustrated with myself!

Politic

HSC
N/A
I'm leaning more towards Law at the moment, its something which I'm very interested in and can see myself doing as a career. I'm interested in psych too, but career-wise I'm thinking Law would be a better avenue to go down personally. But then again the Law program, from what I've been told, it quite difficult. Everytime I think of this my mind starts going round in circles... I could do them both as a combined degree, but I want to do Arts. Its at the point now where I'm just getting frustrated with myself!
I know how you feel. Let time take its course and if it comes down to it perhaps your ATAR will mercifully decide for you.

yosemite sam

HSC
I know I'm going to cop it here from all the triple degree Law/Actuarial/million point ATAR kids but don't say 'just arts'. A lot of the time the people doing a straight arts degree are the ones that realised Arts/Law or Arts/Commerce or whatever wasn't what they want to do and had the guts to do something about changing it to something more enjoyable.
Like me :)

Starlight39

HSC
I apologise - I definitely did not mean it in a derogatory sense. I see nothing wrong with a straight arts degree if thats what you love and where you want to go with your career. If I don't get the marks I am aiming for, I would be quite content to do a straight arts degree :)

May I ask what you're majoring in? :)

yosemite sam

HSC
All good, a lot of arts kids do it too, it's a stereotype about lazy degrees that really bugs me. Having said that even though I'm doing a triple major in art history and curatorship, spanish and history, I only have to go to class 2 days a week and pretty much never have exams.

Starlight39

HSC
Even though I'm not yet a uni student, the arts stereotype has already irritated me - I go looking for genuine answers on the degree, and all that comes up is completely useless because people are so convinced that it's useless.

That sounds pretty good :) If all goes as planned I'll major in History and probably French for the arts component of the combined degree. What is the art history and curatorship major like? It looks quite interesting from what I've read of it :)

yosemite sam

HSC
The art history faculty is pretty good, the staff have a lot of great credentials including curating at the NGA and Sasha Grishin has authored a tremendous amount of literature. It's not as wishy washy and talking about how 'delicious the brushstrokes are' as I expected, which I'm grateful for because I wouldn't be doing it if that was the case. There's a lot of history involved, and while it's not the most intense subject area at ANU, it's definitely challenging but still enjoyable.

Sammy-Blue

HSC
You won't ever really encounter the stereotype as long as you don't talk about how long you spent on an assignment or how hard you found it to people outside of your faculty. Same goes for contact hours.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)