just asking for advice..... (1 Viewer)

aLeeOh!

about to explode
HSC
i was going to post this thread in the drama forum, but i thought better of it... actually, i might do that as well.. anyway...
im askin for opinions as to what i should do... i think ive already made up my mind, but i need other people's opinions either to make me feel better. or make me realise im an idiot!!

ive been accepted, no, sorry., "invited" to join the sydney senior drama company. ive never been in something like this before, so of course im excited and happy that ive made it through all the audititons... problem is, this is year 12 time for me. the company rehearses every monday and thurs.... that means in order for me to get there and back, i have to catch the bus from skool to the station, then the train to the ATP-where its held.and same goes for getting back home....
i guess my question is, is it worth it?
supposedly the head honcho in charge is the same guy responsible for what gets put on "onstage" and all of drama....
i want to do so well in drama because i love it,, but i want to also make sure i can have heaps of time for skool... ima bit of a staller and time wasterer!
my other commitments(so far) is work and footy. but i guess im dropping taht anyway .. so work. hopefully i'll be able to chang to only one day a week...
the drama costs $200+ and as you can see, requires a ceertain amount of commitment.. it doesnt sound like much, but when you have time taken off "study time" it can become a problem.. especially for someone like me.
soo.... i want to accept as i think it would really help me with my dramatic skiils, however, i dont want to pay money if im gonna decide its too much and drop halfway..... plus how bad would i feel?
i guess i know what i WANT TO DO... but the thing is..
what SHOULD I DO......?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
This is a case of, what are your priorities ?

If you got accepted once, im sure you can write a declination letter stating that whilst you were overwhelmed by the invitation, circumstances have directed you towards studies, but a future consideration is seriously being...err considered :)

If you want to decline of course.

But if you want to take it up, then go for it, ive known people who have literally worked themselves through high school, and now uni, since their parents were relatively not well off, and so that was how they sustained themselves working midnight shifts and what not.

Its basically a weigh in, i dont see the problem if its something you are aiming for and wish to go for, it might never offer itself again.

I say as long as your heart is in your decision 100% then go for it, and keep going for it.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i think none of us can answer that for you, but we can provide insight on what we would do
i think the most important thing is to decide what you wanna do when you finish school, if you want to be an actor, then go for this, it is an awesome foot-in-the-door opportunity.
however, if you want a 'professional' career or something that will require uni and a high uai and all that, and you view acting as a hobby, then i say decline politely.

santaslayer

HSC
for me, if i was in ur situation, i would go for the drama classes unless im brilliant at skool and drama can wait...

greeninsanity

all love is equal
HSC
I think it's a good opportunity and you should do it. having more things on will make you more motivated to study in ur free time (study on the train to and from drama if ur really worried!). don't miss out on something you want to do because of yr. 12. think of it as extra study for drama... :D

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Yeah, it's a matter of time management.

You can still study on Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

If you have other committments then you should drop those, stop going out drinking on Friday and Saturday and go for it. Most people don't study all the time, non-stop, every night anyway and you can make up for 4hrs off study from M/T with 8hrs or more of study on the weekend ;)

Everything good requires some sacrifice.

m1nx

HSC
that sounds like such an excellent opportunity you have there, congratulations :) although, as someone has already said, no-one can really make this decision for you, but as for my opinion ... i think things like this happen only once in so often. sure, it's your HSC year, but the world doesn't, shouldn't and cannot stop solely because of that. personally, my goal in life is basically to live it to the fullest, not leaving any room for "what-ifs" in the end~ in short, without any regrets. so ask yourself, is this something that you might regret not taking? is it something that can be done a bit later? no-one really knows, but go with your gut feeling. (can you tell what side i'm on, much? ;)) as for the studying thing, well ..... there's always time in the car/bus/train/etc, rrrright? ;)

aLeeOh!

about to explode
HSC
lol. yeh.. the studying on the train sounds good to me! ha.. it'll probably the most study i do coz im stuck there and nothing else to distract me!!!-oh.. but im sure theres plenty of ways...
thank you for the replies and advice...
like ive said i already know what i want now.. but... ugh.
i guess i just dont want any "what if's"...
hmm...

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
If i was you, i would take it, cause opportunities like this don't come around every day. And if your schooling suffers, i know that it sounds really dumb, but you can always do your hsc again somewhere else. But do what you really love to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)