just asking for advice... (1 Viewer)

aLeeOh!

about to explode
HSC
ive posted another thread dealing with the same dilemna in "general"... because i thought it might be kinda biased to post in this forum... however, now that i think about it, it wouldnt hurt. plus, i might get more inside info from those who have been through it...

ive been accepted, "invited", whatever, to join the sydney senior drama ensemble..ive never been in anything like this, so of course i was thrilled, excited and happy to have made it through all the auditions. i orginally went just to experience it, and i guess to prove to myself that i could do it.....but. problem is, this is year 12 for me....
the company rehearses every monday and thursday.... currently, i also have footy on monday and i work every tuesday and alternating weekends.... so aas you can see, this will take up about half my weektime from studying-sometimes even more...
im most likely to drop footy, so thats okay, and hopefully i can change my work hours to only one day a week....
but heres another thing. in order for me to get to rehearsals i have to catch the bus straight from skool to the station, then a train to the ATP. same goes for coming back. to be a part of the company it costs $275 ot something like that i think.... so as you can see, it willrequire a level of commitment...and i dont want to pay for something and realise halfway through taht its taking too much time and then drop it...
i really want to do it, and i think it would help me with my "dramatic skills" soo much and drama... but i want to have time to do really well in all my other areas as well..
i gueess im just asking, is t worth it?
my mind's probably already made a decision.... i know what i WANT to do...
problem is... what SHOULD i do?

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
AleeOh! OMG... Congrats!!!!!!!!!! Im thrilled for you....

I reckon you should go for it! face it, its your last year of high school and your last chance to get Drama credentials on your resume before we try for nida :) so go for it! as long as they understand that it goes on hold for HSC...

Plus can u imagine the feedback for IP you can get! from Professionals!

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
yeah - go for it aLee... "You only get one shot" (or one opportunity) at it, so have a GO! Heck, your HSC is just a comma, not a full-stop - so have a dig and do your best... Plus yeah - credentials + feedback... :) Conrgats legend, jealousy is running through my blood!

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
Hmmm. Undecided. BTW, congrats mate!

For a start, the credentials would be great and you'll be working with industry professionals. But if you were doing it mainly for the credential aspect...well...that's a whole other story. Major acting institutions will look at it and go...ooo...thats pretty good/okay. But you won't be accepted under the age of 19. And they'll mainly be looking at experience gained post school. Its the maturity thing they're going for etc etc.

It's something you have to talk to your year advisor about, or your family or your mentor.

It's your decision. But if it was me, I wouldn't do it.

kalinda

HSC
im a bit undecided
you dont want to overload yourself too much - if it gets a prob will u be able to drop work?
you also need to look at all your other subjects and see that work load. if you takin really demanding subjects such as another practical such as music it can be hard to manage
i reckon you can do it, it just means being REALLY organised - no bluging for you
im not really sure with the dealings of the ensemble but check with them if there are times when you could take one night off if you have a major assessment the next day or something or even it you can leave early here and there - you never know but they might
congrats on getting in btw and if you feel you can handle the load go for it.

aLeeOh!

about to explode
HSC
lol.. hahaha sparky! i was gonna tell you when i saw you but everyone was soo intent on remembering everything from formulas and rules to where the heck they put their calculators!
doggie dude.. i like the way you seem to veiw our hsc year as grammer. very nice... very nice i must say..
thank you for your advice... im still if-y.... but i guess i just .. i dont know! its not like i definately want to get into acting and such after school. but... oh....i guess you all already know what i will decide anyway!
thank you thank you all.... mwah mwah mwah!!!!
-ugh, im feeling so sick.thats why im such an idiot now sorry

kalinda

HSC
lol if you want to go for it just do it
everything will work itself in the end
plus the hsc is not the end all be all
its just a means to an end

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
AleeOh! think, everyone who audtitoned from our school (and even those who wernt asked to - me -) would KILL for this opportunity, your networking with DRAMATIC people from all over the state, and not to mention building up your connections within the Drama world, that can come in handy. Plus, im SURE they would have talent scouts rock up to productions who can get you gigs... alee... so yes! :)

jjj

can anyone audition for that? is it the ensemble group that performs at Kirribilli? it sounds really good i want to do it (audition anyway), can you please give me the info? thanks

aLeeOh!

about to explode
HSC
Originally posted by kalinda
lol if you want to go for it just do it
everything will work itself in the end
plus the hsc is not the end all be all
its just a means to an end
oh thanx! i think... "a means to an end.."?err..... lol.....
yeh billy, i told miss i was gonna do it... and the dep. principal had a "talk" to me... again...
hey jjj....the auditions are over... you were just a lil too late.... but if your still interested next year keep your eye out for it... they're always round early march.....

kalinda

HSC
means to an end - it makes it easy to get into uni
you can always just wait till your 24 and then u can do anything you want

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)