• Total voters

Sadiah

HSC
Atheism
Agnosticism
Humanism

Which one appeals to you the most?

EDIT: Just to make it easier for those who don't understand these concepts:

"Atheism is the classic denial of belief in a god. 'Theos' means god and the 'a' means denial."

"Agnosticism is a slightly more humble assertion than atheism. 'Gnosis' means 'to know' and again the 'a' is the denial. Agnosticism therefore is merely saying 'I don't know'...strictly speaking, it is a very honest assertion that has grown out of an age where people feel free to be more honest about their religious thoughts...unlike the classic atheist, the agnostic is less likely to be driven by beliefs."

"Humanism is an expression that says humanity is more important than any other consideration.. Many religious people will feel comfortable in describing themselves as humanist and some would even say that being a humanist is an essential art of being Christian or Buddhist or Muslim, etc. "

-Society and Culture
[Preliminary and HSC]
by Thomson, Social Science Press

Last edited:

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
i vacillate between humanism and agnosticism. atheists can be just as bad as fundamentalists, imo.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
i havnt heard of the term 'humanism' before, so i looked it up, and i'd say probably humanism.

we are in charge of how we act/behave, what our personal morals are, how we treat others.
we shouldnt be forced to act a certain way just because some book told us to, we should do so because we WANT to.
nothing out there is gonna help us, we have to help ourselves.

edit: but i dont reject the supernatural, i still believe something happens to us when we die, and that everything was created by something, so i believe in the existance of God, but i also believe in the above.

Sadiah

HSC
i havnt heard of the term 'humanism' before, so i looked it up, and i'd say probably humanism.

we are in charge of how we act/behave, what our personal morals are, how we treat others.
we shouldnt be forced to act a certain way just because some book told us to, we should do so because we WANT to.
nothing out there is gonna help us, we have to help ourselves.

edit: but i dont reject the supernatural, i still believe something happens to us when we die, and that everything was created by something, so i believe in the existance of God, but i also believe in the above.
That's fair enough, and that actually makes sense. I feel good to read something that makes sense btw. ;)

But, if you think about it, a book CAN'T force a HUMAN to do something. Which means, humans/believers choose to follow the book.

And humanism and religion also go hand in hand <- I believe.

It's good to know you don't reject any of the sort, Omie. :)

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
That's fair enough, and that actually makes sense. I feel good to read something that makes sense btw. ;)

But, if you think about it, a book CAN'T force a HUMAN to do something. Which means, humans/believers choose to follow the book.

And humanism and religion also go hand in hand <- I believe.

It's good to know you don't reject any of the sort, Omie. :)
yeah true, no one's forced to follow a religion, it's a personal choice.

but i wouldnt say that humanism and religion go hand in hand, humanism is also about rejecting the supernatural (if im understanding its definition correctly)

HSC
humanism and religion do not go hand in hand as religion teaches that morals are derived from the teachings of god in the bible/quran

i believe in atheism because the whole notion of ~god~ is unfounded and nonsense

and humanism because it is a logical scientific explanation for the development of morals, and a good argument against religious people who claim that atheists ~must not have morals~

Garygaz

HSC
Imo when you're brought up and flooded with religious propaganda as an infant and it embeds itself in your developing brain, you're pretty much forced to follow a book. Free will is only partly true, the subconscious it a complex thing to understand.

Sadiah

HSC
yeah true, no one's forced to follow a religion, it's a personal choice.

but i wouldnt say that humanism and religion go hand in hand, humanism is also about rejecting the supernatural (if im understanding its definition correctly)
That's atheism - rejecting anything beyond earth or just scienctific evidence.

Humanism, is simply, [I think] a concept that focusses on what is best for the human community.

Like, it is much more common now to find religions with explicit commitments to improving the world and making it a better place for humans {humanism}, rather than just a place that people have to tolerate while they wait for "heaven" or "Nirvana" or "englightenment".

HSC
there are different forms of humanism you gronk

religious humanism = what you believe in

secular humanism = what omie said

Sadiah

HSC
humanism and religion do not go hand in hand as religion teaches that morals are derived from the teachings of god in the bible/quran

i believe in atheism because the whole notion of ~god~ is unfounded and nonsense

and humanism because it is a logical scientific explanation for the development of morals, and a good argument against religious people who claim that atheists ~must not have morals~
But not all religions of the world believe in the Qur'aan and the Bible.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Definitions of humanism on the Web:

humanitarianism: the doctrine that people's duty is to promote human welfare
the doctrine emphasizing a person's capacity for self-realization through reason; rejects religion and the supernatural
the cultural movement of the Renaissance; based on classical studies
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

define:humanism - Google Search

?

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah i guess humanism, because i have morals (funnily enough)
also, lol?

Happy Human

lol wikipedia lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)