Just got the news - BIT (1 Viewer)

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
You do learn a lot, course outlines don't tell you much, trust me!

-=AETOS=-

u learn enough 2 put things into perspective put it that way. but in terms of technical skills u would need to practice them in a work environment (hense industrial semester)

(thanks for deleting my last post, the truth hurts dosnt it)

Hai

was the guy exaggerating when he said they've had a 100% success rate wif employment?

how difficult is it to score a job after the course and what kind of starting salary would u be looking at? (just to know, im not doin the course for the money)

Torien

I asked in the interview and they confirmed the 100% employment rate, bar one student who went on hiatus. They said the starting salry was about 42k.

fatmuscle

HSC
yeah 100% success rate sounds right

i know many very successful BITs

some are a bit cocky

sorcerer

on a general note.. BITs are liekly to be better... but prolly not know as much who knows...

employers do expect them to be exceptional at what they do...

but they'll neva know i guess... BITs hav jus beta opportunities served to them on a silver platter...

but u can judge dat as a negative or positive thing. who knows

-=AETOS=-

I went out n got myself one and i have to say it is 'useful' but not 'nessesary'.

Because building 10 has pretty good equiptment for ppl to just sit down with a laptop it is useful when u want to print something but there are no terminals in any of the labs.

Or when you are with a group of friends and want to work on an assignment in private yet still be connected to the UTS network etc etc...

Wireless would also be useful it they had coverage in lecture theatres, but so far they do not.

And considering u no longer can leech (kazaa) using the UTS connection a laptop is 'less useful' than when you could :p.

So i think if you were to purchase a laptop just get one for less than 1000 dollars because really you probably wont use it as much as you would have thought. And you will only be doing things like internet surfing and taking notes really so nothing flash is needed.

fatmuscle

HSC
Originally posted by -=AETOS=-
And considering u no longer can leech (kazaa) using the UTS connection a laptop is 'less useful' than when you could :p.
that is so true

Hai

hmm do a lot of ppl use them in uni? like do u look really strange if u are typing in a lecture theatre instead of writing?

and can u use the wireless network and access the net for free?

-=AETOS=-

Well ppl do use them in lectures, especially IT lectures there might be 2-3 ppl with them.

Wireless access is free all over uts provided there is a signal available.

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
Originally posted by Hai
hey would a laptop be useful in uni? esp an IT course?
When Charlie, Sally and Marcie (student server, backup server, file server respectively) all go down, printers shitting themselves, you can't log in at any terminals, and the assignment is due in five hours (*Cough* DCA, OOD *Cough*), THEN a laptop becomes very useful indeed. :D

As far as the supposed 'lack of leeching'... I like my periodic 'apt-get update && apt-get upgrade' thankyouverymuch. And downloading *nix ISOs.

It doesn't have to be illegal to be fun, y'know... :eek:

Cube3

so

hai, torien, sweathers, blu[e]uro and quesera_sera

you've all got in?

im' trying to locate all fellow BIT people as with someone I met at the interviews so far I know four other people..

sweathers

Soire did. Twas at the first interviews, morning session. One of the few people not wearing a suit :p

jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)