Just how much will my school's ranking (High 400s) affect me? And how is it fair (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi, I'm a year 12 student graduating 2014 and I had 2 questions regarding the way the HSC scales.

1. Going off the 2013 rankings my school was in the late 400s in the state rank, I know that if you get 1st in a course which is what I did for nearly all my subjects last year you're not affected by ranking. But if I didn't get 1st in a subject just how badly would I be affected by a school ranking like that? It varies a lot but I've never seen higher than low 300s.

2. Just how exactly is it considered fair that the better the school in terms of rank you go to, to the better you'll be scaled up? I know that there would obviously be harsher marking and maybe harder material but it seems unfair that if you go to a school on the lower end of the ranking like I do where some kids don't even attempt HSC tasks and never even turn up, where the funding the school receives is less than the top 100 schools for example? Seems like its just boosting those up who already have next to nothing in their way,

Thanks.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
its pretty much negligible if you have high subject ranks and good marks (in the HSC). if you aren't first then either you're screwed or if you have a good strong cohort then thats fine.

its not like "if you go james ruse or baulko, you will get 99.95 and state rank in all maths" it really just depends on the cohort of that year. someone who went to ruse is in one of the ENGG1000 groups at uni only got 87.something atar so not everyone can get 99+ atar

HSC
its pretty much negligible if you have high subject ranks and good marks (in the HSC). if you aren't first then either you're screwed or if you have a good strong cohort then thats fine.

its not like "if you go james ruse or baulko, you will get 99.95 and state rank in all maths" it really just depends on the cohort of that year. someone who went to ruse is in one of the ENGG1000 groups at uni only got 87.something atar so not everyone can get 99+ atar
Fair enough, I think its fairly safe to say that the cohorts of my school will never be all that competitive though, I went through all the rankings and never saw us over 300 or so. Just make more of an effort to get 1st I guess, thanks.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah, even being close to first will "reduce you chance" of being affected by your cohort

johnny_boy12

HSC
Uni Grad
well i can tell you that school rank does not matter at all because a fellow student at my school which is ranked 500+ received and atar of 97.8 regardless of the schools rank. My advice is to perform your best and not allow the talk about scaling affect your performance.

hayleyemma96

HSC
Our school was ranked 472 last year and we had 5 students out of 60 who got an ATAR above 90 (90-96). 17 students got above 80.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
You need to remember that higher ranked schools generally had/have stronger cohorts, which means people have to fight harder to get particular ranks compared to the corresponding ranks in a lower ranked school, it is not actually as unfair as you think it is. Basically, if you work hard, you will not be affected by your cohort to the extent you think you might, because half of your mark will come from your actual performance in external HSC, that 50% of your HSC mark is something you earn and contribute to your final HSC mark, regardless of your internal school rank.

enoilgam

HSC
1) It depends on how good the people ranked above you are and how close you are to them in terms of your raw internal marks. If the cohort has a strong top-end and you all do well on the externals, it shouldnt be an issue.

2) The HSC system is by no means perfect, but it is quite fair in it's determination of marks. The only real disadvantage of going to a low ranked school is that if you perform poorly in your externals, your cohort wont be able to save you. However, in that case, I'd argue that you would shoulder a bit of responsibility.

I went to a fairly average school where a lot of people didnt give a shit and around a third of the grade didnt qualify for an ATAR and to be honest, it wasnt an issue for me. As I have said on BoS for many years, the biggest determinate of a student's ATAR is the student themself. If you are good, you will do well anywhere.

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A
1) It depends on how good the people ranked above you are and how close you are to them in terms of your raw internal marks. If the cohort has a strong top-end and you all do well on the externals, it shouldnt be an issue.

2) The HSC system is by no means perfect, but it is quite fair in it's determination of marks. The only real disadvantage of going to a low ranked school is that if you perform poorly in your externals, your cohort wont be able to save you. However, in that case, I'd argue that you would shoulder a bit of responsibility.

I went to a fairly average school where a lot of people didnt give a shit and around a third of the grade didnt qualify for an ATAR and to be honest, it wasnt an issue for me. As I have said on BoS for many years, the biggest determinate of a student's ATAR is the student themself. [/b]If you are good, you will do well anywhere.[/b]

This.
If you're good, you will do well anywhere.
And if you're bad, even if you go to a top school, you won't improve.
There are people who get 99+ in rank 500+ schools and people who get less than 70 in high ranking schools.

Your ATAR and success is in your hands. Not the school and cohorts hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)