Just left school... what to do next? (1 Viewer)

JWiss

a.k.a Mr Awesome
HSC
Hey fellow BoSers,

I've just left school. Due to certain circumstances surrounding my HSC trials and a combination of long absences, poor time management and lack of motivation I found myself unable to complete my HSC this year. The subjects I was studying were:

-English Advanced (2U)
-English Extension 1 (1U)
-English Extension 2 (1U)
-Mathematics General (2U)
-Legal Studies (2U)
-Information, Processes and Technology (2U)
-Studies of Religion (1U)

[11 units total]

I managed to complete the course for IPT so I will be sitting the HSC exam for it at the end of the year at my school, but I have all but finished with school - I won't be attending any more classes, and I have returned my textbooks for each subject, bar IPT of course.

I'm now looking at my options for continuing study at TAFE next year and university entry later down the track (I'm hoping to get into business). When I spoke to my careers advisor she basically recommended two paths I could take:

-The first was to enrol in a HSC TAFE course for next year and complete my HSC next year, in one year, using the subjects listed above as I have already done the Preliminary course for each of them. A good UAI would allow me to enter into a uni upon completion (obviously).

-The second was to enrol in Business Certificate courses in TAFE and work my way up. I could enter a Cert. IV course in Business at TAFE straight away since I have completed the School Cert., but someone recommended that I start with the Cert. III course first to give some sort of foundation to my studies and to allow myself to adjust to the TAFE style. Once I have obtained a Diploma in Business, and reached 21 years of age, I can apply as a mature age student.

There was the option of repeating year 12 at either my old school or a different school, I didn't want to repeat at my old school for obvious reasons and I didn't really want to do my HSC at another school, as I think that the TAFE system would suit me better.

I'm just hoping to gain an insight into what fellow BoSers would think the best options for me to take are. Bradfield College has been mentioned when I was talking to the Careers Advisor, but I'm hestitant about it as HSC year starts next term (earlier than other TAFES) and it seems like more of a school-modelled environment than regular TAFES. Also, I live in Wahroonga, near Hornsby, and I was hoping someone could advise me on what TAFE would best suit me, in regards to subjects offered (I've already got IPT covered remember :) ) versus travel time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

bumbo_hippo

HSC
i personally wouldn't bother doing HSC at tafe..
HSC is a waste of time..
i would jus do business cert 3.. and go up to diploma.. and if u still want to go to uni afta dat.. then use ur diploma to get in..
at least u will have touched business stuff hands on b4 uni..

myhang

HSC
man,

personally i think you should do a TAFE course that you wnat to do and do it... get a diploma and then find a job.... since you are ineligible for HSC TAFE is a best way to continue studying...
its up to you.. im just an outsider giving advice....its there for you if u want it...

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Ok, there are a couple of other options than what your careers advisor has outlined:
  • Do the HSC at TAFE and either continue with your old subjects or pick brand new ones (you won't lose any time that way). If you take this option then perhaps North Sydney TAFE would be the best for you as it has all of the subjects you studied.
  • Do the TPC at TAFE. The TPC is basically the TAFE equivalent to the HSC except they do not have exams (apart from maths), this will also only take one year and you can get credit for your HSC and prelim studies. If you have problems with health then this might be easier since its more research based than the HSC.
  • Diplomas/Certificates at TAFE. You can pick from almost any field that TAFE offers, it doesn't have to be business. If you have a particular industry you are interested in that is offered at TAFE then this is probably the best option. You also don't have to be a mature age student to use TAFE results to get into uni.
  • Open Education. A correspondence way of studying university courses that doesn't require a UAI, you may also transfer to another university using the results from this course after a year. This is probably only good if you want to do a BA, and you have alot of self-discipline and motivation.
  • Non-award at UWS and (depending on the subjects) MQ. This is where you study individual university subjects until your uni grades are high enough to apply to a degree. This is probably the most expensive route but it will get you inside a university right away, so if thats important to you then go for it.

Given what you've said, I'm thinking the HSC is the best option for you as you are familiar with it anyway. However given the problems that plagued you during your HSC, the TPC might be worth considering if your local TAFE offers it (just make sure you apply for credit if you do it). Only do the Diploma if its in an area you are particularly interested in because 2 years doing something you don't particularly care about in a place you don't want to be...well thats a real easy way to kill your motivation( and thus your marks).

nathan851

HSC
Julian when we're older I'll come to KFC like Lance in Clerks 2..and I'll say
"32 and flipping burgers! Anyone else from our graduating class back there?"
And then you will have to skip work and go ride go-karts with me, so we can relieve our carefree childhood days. Still the movie is about coming to terms with your own existence and learning to become comfortable with your status in life. So If your happy working in KFC then thats cool. Doesnt mean we can't go for drinks of have a smoke.

Alex L misses you the most ; he seems to believe you have been galavanting on broadway during those days amiss. just two months left dude! Just think of all the options? The road not taken...you took the road less travelled!!! regardless of such trifling matters I shall still attend your party on Saturday.

-Dave, your EE2 buddy, Nathan allowed me to write this on his account.

ps. I'll bring the booze and the smokes.

agui01

HSC
I suggest you start up your own band and strive to be the best band ever. You gotta be Famous for Something......so don't let it be for working at KFC.
HAHAHA. Jks man.
Wilko, come to Hornsby TAFE with me next year when I will be repeating the English course and maybe others. You can do the subjexts that they don't have via OTEN.
If not, at least come work with me at Pizza Hut Call centre and work for minimum wage! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)