Just saw Brand New live. Now I hate them. Dashboard however are funny. (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Argh. Words can't express how bad the experience was today. I traveled for 1.5hrs each way outside my uni here to go see Dashboard Confessional with Brand New at Winston-Salem, North Carolina. I went for Brand New, as they seemed like they'd be a shitload of fun for a few reasons:
a) they've got very well crafted lyrics
b) they have some pretty energetic songs which would make for some fun (not too intense) moshing
c) they haven't had a new album for ages and I know all the lyrics from Deja Entendu, having listened to the album 1000000 times.
d) i had a new razor blade i wanted to try out with the other emos that could be expected at the gig.

The set is meant to start about 7.30. So brand new get up there about 7.40 - no problem there. Everyone is excited. They play a song from Deja and everyone is jumping around, going crazy. Well, kind of. The lead singer (who also plays guitar) seems to be more interested in experimenting with his vocals, by singing off key and changing the pace of the songs. As the song progresses he also tries to show off by doing tricks with his guitar. Unfortunately he looks stupid. He also is dressed like shit. He gives off an aura of "ohhh sweet. thanks for the money guys. now fuck off" with the way he dresses and the way he moves.

So then they decide to play new songs. Unreleased songs which are way too emo and quiet. Songs that no one knows the words of. Sure, it's fine if this was for 1 or 2 or even 3 songs of a 1hr 30 mins set - shows the fans you care and youre giving them a sneak peak into your new stuff. However, it's not ok if you play about 4 new songs in a row. Everyone ended up just staring at them bored, unable to get into the music as it lacks energy, and is unfamiliar. Soon they decide to finish on a well known song. Everyone gets excited again and cheers, moshes, etc. The singer/guitarist decides to play some guitar with his teeth, and by play I mean he just bites some chords randomly, which dont add anything. He just looks like an idiot who doesn't care. Then they walk off the stage. I look at my watch: it's 8.15pm. "Ummm.... ohhh i get it" I think to myself. "There'll be a 3-song encore"
...brand new never come back on stage.
A 35 minute set. A crappy set. Soooo shit. Stupid arrogant singer. Stupid arrogant band.

In lighter news, dashboard confessional who headlined, were surprisingly good, even though I thought I'd hate them live. The singer is actually quite funny:
"Who chucked the ice cream sandwich on stage? You think that was funny? Well, it kinda was. But I don't come into your job and slap my cock on your face"

and best was how this group was disrupting the gig by showing dashboard their rude finger saying dashboard sucks. The singer goes:
"Ohh nice work. I guess you went to see brand new only. Now you're saying fuck you to us. You know how you paid $30 for your ticket? Well, thanks. We're going to buy something nice with your money"

HSC
hahah yeah, i was surprised when i saw dashboard .. to be honest i thought it'd be sketchy, but i really really enjoyed it, chris really knows how to do the whole crowd thing.

sorry about brand new :eek: i would've thought they'd be better

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
That's bad. I thought brand new would be great live. I was looking forward to the new album and a possible tour.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
chrrrrrrist
i learnt my lesson with underoath... thanks for the heads up stas

kezz_xxxx

HSC
DrownTheCrow said:
chrrrrrrist
i learnt my lesson with underoath... thanks for the heads up stas

Underoath were bad live? Damn. I really really wanted to see them at Taste of Chaos but couldn't go due to exams and stuff. I thought they'd be really excellent live, ditto for Brand New.

That's dissapointing. I still hope that Brand New tour here after they release the new album though.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
saw cursive yesterday. the singer/songwriter from sunny day realestate opened. cursive were the best band i've ever seen live. full stop. just wow.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
you love cursive haha... dont they have some link to sunny day real estate?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
what's wrong with cursive? they're orsum. not sure about the link. i know they were signed by saddle-creek, which is bright eyes' (conor's) record label.

Furthermore, the singer was so insanely drunk. It was hillarious.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
nothings wrong with cursive i was just having flash backs of you foaming at the mouth reccomending them to me
ZOMG TOM CURSIVE TOM :p
art is hard is a great song

stazi

Nightman
HSC
DrownTheCrow said:
nothings wrong with cursive i was just having flash backs of you foaming at the mouth reccomending them to me
ZOMG TOM CURSIVE TOM :p
art is hard is a great song
tom is hard is even better :eek:

haha but yeah. i love them a million. their new album is great as well.

darkmiracles

HSC
i can't really say anything since i've unfortunately never seen brand new live.
however, i'm not going to be all sad and be like "arghh brand new must suck live. screw going to their shows in the future".. they are one of my favourite bands and i believe that they are still worth every penny in my pocket.
maybe they had a bad day or something... i don't know.
besides that, it was a good review. never really been a dashboard fan but i wouldn't act all childish and idiotic if they happened to be touring with brand new. i would probably just leave after i see brand new lol.
can't wait for brand new's album to come out!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
well im a maaaaaaaassive brand new fan as well. i was immensely excited about seeing them. i counted down the days. then it was a complete let-down. they may have had a bad day, but in my opinion, it seemed like they've stopped caring about their fans. That was their attitude.

And whether or not it was a bad day for them doesn't matter when they select songs that no one knows.

gerhard

HSC
well im pretty sure their whole album leaked like a month ago, so its your fault for not knowing the songs

i saw animal collective a couple of weeks ago, more than half their set was new songs, but it was fucking awesome. wouldnt have changed a second of it.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
oh, its my fault for not downloading a leaked album illegally? i guess it was the fault of 98% of the people of the crowd for not doing this either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)