Kanji sucks. (1 Viewer)

m3iko

Does anyone know any good kanji books? I have a few from Japan but its all easy ones like "yama" and 1-10 >.< stupid junior kanji.
Everyone juss says get ur mum to help but it doesnt work, im doin jap continuers at open high and they suck too. >.<
(bte im new HII lol *wavez* ^^)
cant wait till school is finished yayaya

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
my playground for many years has been www.kanjisite.com

They arent all ones that you need to know... the 1st lot, level 4, has the most prescribed kanji and level 3 has a couple. You can read the meanings, then you can test yourself.

I took me a while but i can recognise all the level 4's and some level 3's

blitzacer

HSC
yeah, apparently they have the whole thing on the site...and suppose to be a lot of pages o_o....but it includes EVERYTHING so you could probably breeze through most...unlike me :(

m3iko

i have that prescribed kanji booklet i got it off my teacher at open high school. its kinda crappy.. its too much i hate it. ive tried a fifillion times to sit and actually read it or whatever, ive even traced some but it doesnt work...
*jluz* the chinese ppl in my class are REALLY REALLY good at it because it is so similar to chinese. ='( theres a really smart kid.. and hes only in yr 9 >.< owww

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
seriously... i reckon you should go to the site i put up and memorise all the kanji's meanings you can... It doesnt matter if you cant write it, you need to be able to look at it and go this kanji means this and that kanji means that, so put them together and you get this.

Sometimes its a little ambiguos, but youll get there.

m3iko

i had a look at that site yea its pretty good *thumbs up*
isnt chinese a bit different.. like kanji is simplified or something.. the way u say it is diff i kno but i thort the actual writing was kinda diff too i dont kno me stupid xP

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
Chinese has like 6 alphabets... one of them is kanji. So the only difference between the two is how you say it.

Chinese people are super good at kanji because they can go: In chinese this kanji has this meaning. So the Japanese word is this. So basically they are translating from chinese to japanese to english.

When you know your kanji, you have an advantage over them. You skip out translating from chinese and therefore can write faster than them.

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
you can download a file which has 1000 kanji in it. i found it on ed2k. Also i have a book which is like a dictionary for me, it has the most commonly used kanji and all that stuff i bought it off ebay. 2000 odd kanji or so in it i think. i have to find it again, stupid room cleaning. I think its called 'A guide to reading and writing japanese'.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by Wilmo
Chinese has like 6 alphabets... one of them is kanji. So the only difference between the two is how you say it.

Chinese people are super good at kanji because they can go: In chinese this kanji has this meaning. So the Japanese word is this. So basically they are translating from chinese to japanese to english.

When you know your kanji, you have an advantage over them. You skip out translating from chinese and therefore can write faster than them.
That, I think, is not entirely accurate. Chinese historically had only ONE script. This is why communication was always possible between different regions of China, because the script was shared amongst all dialects. However, now there are two systems: Traditional and Simplified. This is due to the communist meddling with language. It has dramatically increased literacy, but destroyed much of the linguistic continuity of the Chinese script.

As for the advantage in Japanese over students with a Chinese background, it's actually because many Kanji in Japanese are written slightly different to the Chinese equivalents, or have developed new meanings over time. Sure, they get away with a LOT in the beginning, especially when it comes to guessing the meaning of compounds, but reliance on the tricks that work in Chinese become their undoing.

EvilTama's book "A Guide to Reading & Writing Japanese" (Tuttle) is an excellent book, it's what my best teacher based his materials on in year nine and ten. I would also recommend "A Guide to Remembering Japanese Characters" (Tuttle, by Henshall) or if that's too big there's "Kanji & Kana". The first should cost you about $25, the second around $25 (estimating appreciation from the 1999 price of $20) and third is the most expensive, at $45. All of these should be available at Kinokuniya, though if you're quick you can go to Abbey's (York st, behind the QVB) and get the textbook subsidy (before 30 June).

If you want detailed directions to these stores (and others) check my sticky thread, labelled "Important: Where to get Japanese Stuff".

By the way: Welcome to the Japanese section! :) I'm Robert, your friendly moderator.

Last edited:

m3iko

i order most of my stuff from kinokuniya theyre pretty good.. i got lost trying to find that store the first few times lol

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Originally posted by m3iko
i order most of my stuff from kinokuniya theyre pretty good.. i got lost trying to find that store the first few times lol
YES! Finally someone else who got lost looking for it.

I bought two kanji books from Books Kinokuniya. The first one is called Essential Kanji, it teaches you 2000 kanji, the only kana ever used in the book is in examples though. Also I bought "The Learner's Kanji Dictionary" to use as a Kanji dictionary.

Since you've been to Kinokuniya, might I suggest looking for some basic Japanese manga. There are some where each Kanji has furigana.

For the Board of Studies syllabus, I recommend you try your hardest at remembering them. Life is so much easier in Japanese when you use Kanji. It makes your script look so much cleaner.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Ummm how much kanji do HSC students have to learn?

I've learnt 21 this semester at uni, and I'm getting owned by all the Chinese people =/

m3iko

too many haha i think it was 100 + something im not really sure but i was going to ask my teacher that but because i do it through correspondence i never talk to her much but it sucks badly arr

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
The kanji aren't really that hard. Try grouping by common elements (radicals) and figuring out some mnemonic prompts. You'll get there! :)

m3iko

Originally posted by Lexicographer
The kanji aren't really that hard. Try grouping by common elements (radicals) and figuring out some mnemonic prompts. You'll get there! :)
what is this mnemonic prompts you speak of.. my gah ill have to learn what that is first.. o_O

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Take a look at the last book (the expensive one) and you'll know exactly what I mean.

It's basically something that you can say to yourself that will remind you of the meaning of the kanji. It's especially useful to know what the component radicals mean, because they are almost always related in some way to the overall meaning of the kanji.

m3iko

i liek how they make it into pictures like the one for mountain they drew a mountain to show how you would get mountain from it and had a story to remember it
im a damn visual learner

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)