• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Kanji sucks. (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
That won't work with the complex, or even intermediate, kanji. This is simply because some are too abstract for you to get a direct translation from iconograph to the character.

Which course are you in?

m3iko

continuers

i still hate it.. everything else is perfectly fine because japs my first language i just cant do the stupid kanji argh >.<

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Are you sure you understand how the UAI works?

It's actually USyd and UNSW that accept less RSL applicants in favour of NRSLs to artificially inflate the UAI, for the purposes of "maintaining the reputation of the course".

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
By primary language I meant your "first" language, because that term is very poorly used. Primary makes it clear that Japanese is the language you are best at, even if it isn't your "first" (like English isn't my first, but it is my best).

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hmm...you know, sitting here replying to you has lost me two hours of potential work. I think I'll just add you to MSN and appear offline. :p

m3iko

but iff u add me its only courteous that i add you back.. which means i have to kick someone off to fit ur ass in

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Haha you're full? I've been full many times already, so every few months I audit my contact list and bump anyone I don't talk to, or don't need to talk to.

m3iko

Originally posted by poloktim
YES! Finally someone else who got lost looking for it.

I bought two kanji books from Books Kinokuniya. The first one is called Essential Kanji, it teaches you 2000 kanji, the only kana ever used in the book is in examples though. Also I bought "The Learner's Kanji Dictionary" to use as a Kanji dictionary.

Since you've been to Kinokuniya, might I suggest looking for some basic Japanese manga. There are some where each Kanji has furigana.

For the Board of Studies syllabus, I recommend you try your hardest at remembering them. Life is so much easier in Japanese when you use Kanji. It makes your script look so much cleaner.

ERC SUCKS!! >=)

hahahahaha yeah that stupid shop was ard to find huh... i swear its in the weirdest place. right now i cant remember where it is but im sure the fobs in my class will show me if i ever need to find it again. lol

m3iko

Lexicographer "Don't drink and drive - you might kill some kids"

I'm sure the danger of spilling your drink if you drive over a bump is of greater risk. lol *shrugs*

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I'm not the drinking type, your humour is lost on me.

I really don't know HOW people can get lost looking for Kinokuniya. It's got this massive sign on it that says "Kinokuniya."

Sorry, it's more like:

Kinokuniya

Like I said before, the directions are all in the sticky. If anyone wants to suggest another place to buy Japanese stuff, post it in that thread. If it's a place of actual resources for Japanese, I'll put it in the first post with the other bookstores. :)

m3iko

well first you have to find the building its hiding in.. then you have to wander around for a while and search.
it was hard

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by babydoll_
Ummm how much kanji do HSC students have to learn?

I've learnt 21 this semester at uni, and I'm getting owned by all the Chinese people =/
OMG

200 here :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)