Keep 2U mark (accelerated) or do 4U for my HSC? (1 Viewer)

ofwgkta

HSC
Hey everyone,
I did Maths Advanced this year (2018 HSC) although I complete the rest of my HSC next year and am currently (2019 HSC) doing 4U maths. My overall HSC mark for advanced was 99 (98.5 rounded up to 99). Was wondering if I should just cash in this mark and only do 8 units this year and try my best to smash it? I am currently coming 9/32 in a strong cohort for 4U and received 86% for the first assessment. I don't think I could increase my rank as those above me are conceptually smarter than me.

I've realised that coming 9th in 4U may not have as good of an atar contribution as coming 1st in 2U.
Should I drop 4U and cash in my 2U mark?

Also, would my 2U marks atar contribution be 99.95?

Thanks, any info is greatly appreciated.

Heresy

HSC
Hey everyone,
I did Maths Advanced this year (2018 HSC) although I complete the rest of my HSC next year and am currently (2019 HSC) doing 4U maths. My overall HSC mark for advanced was 99 (98.5 rounded up to 99). Was wondering if I should just cash in this mark and only do 8 units this year and try my best to smash it? I am currently coming 9/32 in a strong cohort for 4U and received 86% for the first assessment. I don't think I could increase my rank as those above me are conceptually smarter than me.

I've realised that coming 9th in 4U may not have as good of an atar contribution as coming 1st in 2U.

This depends on how much time you have to decide. If your decision can take place by, lets say Term 2 next year - you will be able to make a more informed decision - trust me, (if you can) wait.

sida1049

HSC
Hey everyone,

Do you:

(a) enjoy maths and/or find it interesting, or

(b) expect to use maths in the future (e.g. science, engineering, IT, finance, economics at uni)?

If any of the above applies to you, then definitely take extension 2. Your education matters way more than an extremely marginal difference in ATAR. If neither (a) nor (b) applies to you, then dropping extension 2 is a fair choice.

I played around with Matrix's ATAR calculator, and you really only need 90-91 reported HSC mark for extension 2 to meet your equivalent ATAR if you drop it and 2U counted instead. Seeing as though 90 in 4U is piss-easy for a student like yourself to smash, taking 4U is a win-win situation, really.

(And for your second question, yes. 99 in 2U is good enough for 99.95 ATAR, assuming you do sufficiently well in your other subjects. IMO for a higher ATAR, it's much easier to take 4, plus 3U weighs more as well if you do.)

Last edited:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
In your enviable situation, I can't imagine your not wanting to do 4U. What if, in doing MX2, you end up with an ATAR of 99.70 instead of 99.95, keeping your 2U results?

I bet, in the end, you will do 4U.

ofwgkta

HSC
In your enviable situation, I can't imagine your not wanting to do 4U. What if, in doing MX2, you end up with an ATAR of 99.70 instead of 99.95, keeping your 2U results?

I bet, in the end, you will do 4U.
Yea don't think my parents would let me drop it. If my MX2 results was lower would it just not be counted toward my atar and my 2U would count instead (10 best units)?

sida1049

HSC
Yea don't think my parents would let me drop it. If my MX2 results was lower would it just not be counted toward my atar and my 2U would count instead (10 best units)?
I don't think so.

But that's a very unlikely situation - if you're capable of getting 99 in 2U, you're capable of getting 90+ in 3U and 4U, which is safer for your ATAR in the end.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Since you have done so well in your 2U Maths(so-called Advanced!!), you should have no problem in doing well in you MX2 - unless you decide to smoke pot next year.

ofwgkta

HSC
Thanks for the replies everyone. I’ll stick with 4u then. Appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)