Keep Maths Extension? (2 Viewers)

mike12345678

HSC
The more obvious questions are:
- How are you going in 2 unit Mathematics? If you are going really well then that is a better indication that you should continue with Extension 1 than one poor extension 1 result. If you are not doing that well in 2 unit mathematics, then maybe you should look at the options available.
- Do you find actual Extension 1 material (not 2 unit stuff done early) difficult and time consuming? If you find that 1 unit of Extension work is distracting you from your other 10 or so units of subjects, then you may need to revise your program.
- Coming first in extension 1 does not mean very much in a small group of 5. 44/72 again means very little without having seen the actual test. If it was an easy paper then the poor result should give you the kick up the pants you need. Again, it comes down more to how you are going in 2 unit, and whether the 1 unit of extension maths is a big distraction from your other subjects.

At this stage though, you have a heap of time up the sleeve so I'd bear with it. However, perhaps you need to review some of the topics you know you are struggling with. If you need any help, post back and I'll give you a few specific pointers that may help out.

Best Regards
OldMathsGuy
thanks so much for the advice.

for 2u im on like 82% because i continue to make 'silly' mistakes.

i understand all the content for both 2u and 3u but i just found this certain exam hard.

ine problem for me in re arranging the permutation combution thing.

n(n+1)!-n!= watever

and

in polynomails proving b^3d+c^2=0 when given a polynomial eqn

OldMathsGuy

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
thanks so much for the advice.

for 2u im on like 82% because i continue to make 'silly' mistakes.
With practice you'll minimize silly mistakes so don't worry too much there. The main thing is you are comfortably passing so in reference to your main concern, I would suggest keeping at Extension 1 at least until the trial. By then, you'll know whether to keep or drop.

i understand all the content for both 2u and 3u but i just found this certain exam hard.

ine problem for me in re arranging the permutation combution thing.

n(n+1)!-n!= watever

and

in polynomails proving b^3d+c^2=0 when given a polynomial eqn
What textbook(s) are you using? If you are using Grove, then you really need to be having a go at the harder exercise sections.

Alternatively, if you can get your hands on Cambridge 3 unit/Extension 1 Mathematics by Bill Pender (the Godfather of HSC Maths), then you will become exposed to a far greater variety of questions which is important for exams.

And if you can hunt one down, back in 2000 or so there were books by Phoenix Education breaking down past HSCs by topic in both 2 unit (bright pink cover) and 3 unit maths (bright green cover). These provide an excellent study routine when you are revising a specific topic. The beauty of these now is that you get exposed to past HSC questions but you can still do the last decade's papers fresh (when you get up to doing past HSC papers).

By the way, (n+1)! = (n+1) x n!

= n(n+1)! - n!
= n(n+1) x n! - n!
= n![ n(n+1) - 1 ]
= n![ n^2 + n - 1 ]

The polynomial question you will have to give me more info on.

Best Regards
OldMathsGuy

mike12345678

HSC
thanx so much for all the advice :)

im using fitzpatrick but my school wants me to get maths in focus for 2u in year 12. good idea?

Alkanes

HSC
What does your school provide you with? I suggest if you do intending on keeping 3U. Get the Cambridge/Terry Lee book and maybe a study guide like Excel.

OldMathsGuy

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
thanx so much for all the advice :)

im using fitzpatrick but my school wants me to get maths in focus for 2u in year 12. good idea?
Fitzpatrick 3 unit is an excellent book solidly covering the extension 1 work. Keep.
2u Maths in Focus. Get or keep because you need to follow the work your class is doing. While Grove is limited, its explanations of the basics is pretty clear - good if you want to get ahead. It is certainly a stonking lot better than the Jones and Couchman books back in the day.

From the sounds of things, you are not in an integrated Extension class (you do 2u in the 2u class and 3u in the 3u class). This generally puts more pressure on your 2u work which in turn places pressure on your 3u work. As such, I suggest you get a tutor, or alternatively keep posting to this thread and I'll keep answering your questions.

However, I would consider 3u/Ext 1 Cambridge to be essential for any student looking to excel in the extension 1 course. It has been designed to support students doing Ext 2, preparing them for the jump up in difficulty from Ext 1 to Ext 2. As such, there are loads of questions that adequately prepare you for the HSC paper. I would highly recommend both the Y11 and Y12 books.

Next year, purchase a past HSC papers book and if you can track them down, the 50 tricks books by Jeff Gaha which are still relevant well over ten years after their first printing. Worked solutions are a big help (although the quality of answers in the Coroneos books has dropped in recent years).

However, the thing you will find of most value is the examination reports for each HSC exam. This will put you in the head of the marker so you know what they are looking for and definitely what they are NOT looking for.

For the moment though, it sounds like you need to revise some of your extension 1 work. I can suggest some specific questions from Cambridge when (and if) you get them. Best of luck; hope this helps.

Best Regards
OldMathsGuy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)