Keep or Sell Textbooks? (1 Viewer)

hYperTrOphY

HSC
Do you sell your texts after you've finished the semester?

I'm not going to sell the books that are on the topics that are of interest to me, but am considering selling those that a) I have little interest in; and b) I doubt will ever be used again.

But for some reason, I'm still hesitant. ::confused:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i think it's a question of how dire your financial circumstances are, what future subjects you wish to take, and what moots you want to enter.

if you're broke, like me, you might want to liquidate some, if not all, your old books. the main problem is that they are old editions, so nobody wants them.

but boy do they make good heater fuel ;)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Law is an ever-changing discipline, so most lawbooks have a short shelf life.

That said, I haven't sold any of my textbooks, but I still use them - mostly for moots, etc. (Thank you however, for reminding me to ditch my copy of Brown et al's Criminal Laws, which I cannot see myself ever touching again.)

I will be getting rid of most of my textbooks when I graduate, if I can still sell them for any value.

Obviously if you are set on selling a book then you should do so as soon as you're finished with it - since eventually the edition will be replaced.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
Well, last semester I did Intro to Law and Torts Law. I plan to keep my Intro texts because they are books I may have to refer back to throughout the course. Torts, on the other hand, I can't see myself using again. If I was to participate in a moot on tort law, I probably wouldn't use the book we had prescribed for us anyway (Torts - Butterworths Tutorial Series). Further, my notes that I will retain cover most of the book, which seemed more like a summary guide than anything else.

So unless there is any other reason to keep the books, I guess I'll sell them (or try to).

(Thank you however, for reminding me to ditch my copy of Brown et al's Criminal Laws, which I cannot see myself ever touching again.)
I just bought the 4th edition of this book last week - seems quite good.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
hYperTrOphY said:
I just bought the 4th edition of this book last week - seems quite good.
It's not bad for learning, but terrible as a reference book.

Endless waffle...

though I hear the new one has slimmed down

Skeeta

HSC
i've kept all of mine (but plan on selling a few first year ones)

it definitely depends on your degree though, and how easy access is to information

apparently once you finish studying you are able to claim them as a personal/professional library ?
but that alone wouldnt be a reason to keep them

hYperTrOphY

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
It's not bad for learning, but terrible as a reference book.

Endless waffle...

though I hear the new one has slimmed down
I've only had a brief flick through the book, but can understand what you're saying. I am probably going to purchase the Butterworths Tutorial Guide to have as well.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I have sold every single law book I own, except the citation book (which is on the net anyway).

I agree with Moonlight - law is ever-changing, and so there really isnt much point holding onto books which, when you try to sell them 2 years later, will be updated and therefore unlikely to be bought. Additionally, my plan is, when I come back to doing Advanced Torts next year, I'll just buy the new, updated book, rather than holding onto my one from first year.

I've found just taking decent notes - like step-by-step notes - are more valuable are easier to refer back to rather than holding onto a whole book.

p.s. Couldn't agree more re: Brown et al. The third edition was tragic *shudders* but I liked how it was printed on bible paper :p

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I like having textbooks, they look nice on my shelf. That aside, I don't particularly care for them. I'm too lazy to walk 15 minutes down the road to pick up some of my first year books that I gave out last semester.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)