kennedy (1 Viewer)

susan

:eek: i am doing kennedy and i am having sooooooooo much trouble with indochina. i just do not get it. Anybody out there who can help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ktcc

yep i do Kennedy and indochina too...........................

oh_god_the_HSFC

may as well add to this thread

I do Kennedy too.....

For indochina, you dont REALLY need to talk about what actually happens, you just need to have a really basic knowledge (about Laos and Vietnam: ie: assanation of Diem and Kennedy's allowing a combined government in Laos got him criticism for being soft on communism)
However, the main issus is not WHAT actually happened. but what historians have SAID or debated about it. In general, most if not all historians think his policies in indochina failed. The principle debate is over whether he had a withdrawla plan for after the 1964 election.
If you give me your e-mail address i will try and send you my assessment seminar of indochina. Its useful for the first bit (what) and a little bit for the historiography.

Smiles
Tess

ps: any help on any REALLY good post-modern sources. i really cant fine one that i can sink my teeth into (preferrable Foucault of Derrida)

HannieStar

You don't have to do Indochina if you don't get it. The question cannot ask for one area of debate/subject specifically as there is a colective question that must be applied to every case study done in the state.
I have been told not to study simply '2 areas of debate' which seems to be the common thing for HSC, Catholic and Independent Trial etc. It has been predicted that the question will be less about simply the case study regurgitation of debates but more likely a question about the construct of history in relation to the case study or something.

jaNetix

im sorry, im sur ei understand
the Q. is never realli abt the topics...always the debate...
hows it goin to bhe different?

lazybum

HSC
N/A
jesus my teacher ahem ahem just gave me an entire booklet the last term told me to study it and got rid of me and the others doing JFK!!!
does she expect me to get 100 percent or what i have no idea what to do ? do i focus on 2 areasof studies do i ? I guess thats a good starting point whadya think? at least ext us my last exam otherwise i would fail have one week to get notes up to sctatch

K-Lo

i do kennedy too!
i think the main thing is just to make sure you know the basics of a few topics, just choose ones that your comfortable with and understand.
im doing public and private man, the man myth and historians and cuban missile crisis. also make sure that you have some really good historiography, like 2 diff sides and know the motivations of the historian..blah blah
ummm i think its also good to have some different sources than just book eg movies...'thirteen days' is a good one for missile crisis and 'PT-109' is good for the whole creation of the camelot school and all that but its really old so it might be a bit hard to get ......
anyways good luck!

jaNetix

heya K-LO
wat is '13 days'?? a movie or book?
coz im doin missile crisis

how do u differenciate b/w man/myth and public/private??
coz i was gunna do both, but found they were too much the same

jaNetix

yeh i jus figured that out yesterday..
thanks anyways!

any1 doin cuban missile crisis?
wats the main diff. in interpretations...?
coz both say that was his beast time leadership wise...

SmokedSalmon

HSC
heh no problem.
The main difference in interpretations is that Schlesinger and Sorenson believe he delt with it very well. And blamed it was the fault of his advisors of disaster at Cuba.
However, Hersh, Reeves, White etc.. claimed he brought the world to the brink of nuclear war. So they were not too proud of him.. and said it was mainly his fault.. um I should shift through my notes again lol, been a while. Does that answer ur point? I'll find some quotes for you :p

jaNetix

cheers S.S

thats would be GREAT!!!

im reading up on Hersh now...the guy kills Kennedys life...std's and all...daym he was crap! (kenn.)
im in shock from one chapter..

SmokedSalmon

HSC
Here is quotes from sorenson:

"The worst disaster of that disaster-filled period that showed John Kennedy that his luck and his judgement had human limitations, and the experience that taught him invaluable lessons for the future, occurred on April 17 in the Zapata Swamp at the Cuban Bay of Pigs."
"Both publicly and privately the President asserted sole responsibility" for the terrible incident which involved 1400 anti-Castro Cuban exiles being crushed in less than three days.

Reeves:

Bay of Pigs fiasco: "Jack rejected moral and legal objections to an invasion; he lied, exhibited an almost adolescent macho temperament, became involved with military operations just enough to make them worse, and then blamed others for the failure."

Hope that helps you Janet

Aaron1911

Sorenson/Schelsinger: The bay of Pigs incident was a disaster but JFK handled the Cuban Missle Crisis brilliantly. He was mislead by the so called 'experts' about the plan and due to inexperience (which he overcame) he allowed the plan to go ahead.

Hersh/Reeves: Also agree that the incident was a fiasco. The missle crisis was dealt with well, but JFK caused the situation in the first place. Though he was given advice by experts, JFK was genuinely enthusiastic about the plan. His inexperience, coupled with his poor judgment and character were the real reasons for the Bay of pigs fiasco - not just the advisers.

lazybum

HSC
N/A
i must have been half asleep when i wrote my last post.

I;m a bit confused, can anyone help me? what i want to ask is, is it ok if i focus on a few areas of study ie public private man, and cuban missile crisis?

to tell you the trut h i don't think we did indochina !!!!!
When i read here ppl were doing indochina i was so freaked out .....

also i don't have structure . how does one organise an essay on lets say a question on 'the changing historical opinion to do with your area of study' (Kennedy) ? We weren't ready to do jfk for trials so i don;t even know how to write the damned essay !!

if anyone could help it would be GREAT. How good was it to get mod. history over today ? it was SUCH a relief !!!!!!!!!

K-Lo

Originally posted by jaNetix
heya K-LO
wat is '13 days'?? a movie or book?
coz im doin missile crisis

how do u differenciate b/w man/myth and public/private??
coz i was gunna do both, but found they were too much the same
hey...i think the man/myth is the camelot school vs what he really was, like how he used charisma and how different historians have created the myth. eg shclesinger and sorrenson created/upheld the myth and hersh attempted to destroy it etc etc whereas public and private was just him and how he used the media like tv debates and stuff. ok im not really making sense...they are sorta the same but i think myth is historical interpretation...
i went to this study day thing and someone asked what the difference was and the guy told us that there is not one specific definition and that we should come up with our own interpretation and define it in the exam....
haha hope that makes sense or helps at all.....my brain is dead from modern today...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)